Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2020, 12:02 PM

6,132 posts, read 5,098,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
I could accept mask usage for another 6 to 9 months which would put the end between March and June of 2021. I could accept social distancing for the rest of my life. I'd think of it more as an expansion of personal space.
See, that's the part that's killing me. Even though I'm an introvert, I miss gathering for coffee dates, small groups, reunions, weddings, and just hugging people when appropriate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2020, 01:06 PM

9,096 posts, read 6,317,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
I could accept mask usage for another 6 to 9 months which would put the end between March and June of 2021. I could accept social distancing for the rest of my life. I'd think of it more as an expansion of personal space.
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
See, that's the part that's killing me. Even though I'm an introvert, I miss gathering for coffee dates, small groups, reunions, weddings, and just hugging people when appropriate.

Interesting! My favorable attitude to social distancing is not related to those types of activities. The reason I like social distancing is because I don't like when strange people stand too close to me in public settings like sidewalks, checkout lines, bus stops, train platforms and waiting areas. I am hoping that the pandemic changes that behavior not that it eliminates intentional gatherings of people who know each other.

Old 10-13-2020, 01:29 PM

12,870 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Agreed. I also miss spontaneity. I never realized that being able to just step out and pop into a coffee shop, sandwich shop, restaurant, bar, etc. whenever I wanted was such an important part of my life.

Technically, most of those things are possible now (though going to the bar still isn't - and rightfully so), but the spontaneity is largely gone or severely limited. Unless you're going way off-peak it's hard to get into a restaurant without reservations. And even if you can just walk up, put your name on a list and wait, you can't hang at the bar until your table is ready. Coffee shops are offering to-go, but most places around here are too small to sit at a table and enjoy your coffee. Same for sandwich shops, pizza places, etc.

As a skier, I'm both looking forward to this winter and dreading it. Even more than other years, it'll be great to have something to do outdoors during the winter. And with a few adjustments (namely eliminating the singles line and cutting back lodge/apres ski operations), it's the perfect sport for social distancing. Masks are already commonplace and the skis themselves force spacing in lines. But many resorts are requiring reservations for single-day tickets and limiting sales. Others are even requiring that season pass holders make reservations (thankfully, mine isn't yet). Weekend days are going to book up fast with reservation systems and they'll also hurt the potential for last minute "sick" days during/after a big storm.

I'm optimistic that we can keep these things going in their limited capacities until we have widespread vaccine distribution/immunity if people are willing to wear masks, wash their hands regularly, and be cognizant of distancing. But I'm really looking forward to "normal" again.

Old 10-13-2020, 03:45 PM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
My big “miss” was car shows this summer. The summer schedule got cut waaay down. That’s been my means of socializing. Late in the season, the shows started to come back, but overall it was a doen year.

Socializing with people? Eh...as much as I claim I was made to socially distance from people, we missed out on a few good vacations with friends and family as well as a dinner out here and there.

Many peers though have gone back to the old ways. Got invited to a kids bday party that was indoors, with about 30 peopl who I didn’t know most. Even blew out the candle the old fashioned way and handed out cuts of cake from it.

Wife and I went to dinner on sat. It was gorgeous out. Went to a place nearby and found it packed. Nobody was eating outdoors, and everyone was inside, with tables pretty close together. We were the only ones to eat outside the entire hour or so we were there. Maybr 40-50 people eating inside?

I said to my wife “did we win? Is it over?”

Funny thing is I turned on kiss 108 on the radio for the first time in years on the radio and the commercials make it seem everyone is still stuck in quarantine looking out their windows and staying far apart. It hasn’t been this way in a while.

Old 10-14-2020, 08:58 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,807,780 times
The MBTA is planning to release a cost saving plan in November that could potentially include eliminating commuter ferries. Service cuts and consolidation are also possible on other modes. Commuter rail may end weekend service. Pretty shocking to consider but it is clearly a dire situation.

Old 10-14-2020, 01:27 PM

2,353 posts, read 1,780,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
The MBTA is planning to release a cost saving plan in November that could potentially include eliminating commuter ferries. Service cuts and consolidation are also possible on other modes. Commuter rail may end weekend service. Pretty shocking to consider but it is clearly a dire situation.
See Page 699. You can see the actual proposal PDF there.

Old 10-14-2020, 04:25 PM

2,353 posts, read 1,780,522 times
Hmm, still haven't posted today's report.

Old 10-14-2020, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
Hmm, still haven't posted today's report.
It up...just no alerts today on my local news apps for some reason

https://www.mass.gov/doc/covid-19-da...-2020/download

512 new cases, drop in hospitalizations. Positivity rate still increasing even though the page one metric shows green (positive trend)

Old 10-14-2020, 05:43 PM

23 more towns/citied added to the high risk list. MA average is in the red zone

https://www.wcvb.com/article/massach...2020/34374098#

Old 10-14-2020, 07:18 PM

7,925 posts, read 7,814,489 times
it might sound corny but I miss going to a place like Starbucks insuring out work or some type of paper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts