Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2020, 02:30 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach5 View Post
I am always complaining and warning here - but this seems more cautious than the Patriots' attitude: https://www.nbcboston.com/news/coron...covid/2209181/
College field hockey isn’t a $25 billion dollar business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2020, 06:23 AM

15,798 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
College field hockey isn’t a $25 billion dollar business.

Yup, and for that reason you’ll see Cam Newton back on the field ASAP regardless of the possible heart risks associated with covid

Last edited by BostonMike7; 10-09-2020 at 07:25 AM..

Old 10-09-2020, 06:46 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times
The financial motivations are certainly huge, but hardly the entire story. The NFL also has testing and mitigation protocols to which BC has not come close to matching. BC has done an extremely poor job in relation to other local universities, much less a corporation like the NFL.

Also, college field hockey is indirectly drives a much bigger business than you think. BC is part of the ACC. If the NCAA and ACC want their multi billion business (football) moving forward they also want minor and women’s athletics operating for parity reasons.

Old 10-09-2020, 06:59 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Yup, and for that reason you’ll see Cam
Newton back on the field ASAP regardless of the possible heart risks associated with covid
I would think the Patriots would screen Cam for myocarditis before clearing him.

Old 10-09-2020, 07:26 AM

15,798 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I would think the Patriots would screen Cam for myocarditis before clearing him.
I hope so....

Old 10-09-2020, 07:41 AM

7,925 posts, read 7,814,489 times
I'm thinking by mid November we're going to see a push back and people will be told to work from home again from Thanksgiving onward, classes go online for everyone etc.

If we have another stimulus bill it really should be towards some of the small businesses. We need to show small businesses how to do more online (keywords, websites, social media etc). At the same point there has to be some form of day care for kids and outreaching the elderly community. To take care of kids and elderly parents and work at the same time is burning people out. Some just aren't even working and this is explaining the drop in unemployment.

https://www.masslive.com/coronavirus...workforce.html

The extra $600 is gone. UI benefits in Mass are about 7.5 months. So we're looking at maybe mid November it hits the fan. Of course there's also the eviction ban that ends on the state level in a week.
https://www.wbur.org/cognoscenti/202...m-miles-howard

Even if a few more months are provided the amounts due add up. Of course if that hits the credit reports it compounds again.

Remember Tony Curtis at the end the Boston Strangler ending back in the day? That's the expression some might look like this fall.

Old 10-09-2020, 10:48 AM

12,432 posts, read 9,529,208 times
So this isn't MA, but I still see people saying that mitigation methods don't work, no matter what the scientists and doctors say. Here is yet another practical demonstration that public health methods - namely masks and social distancing, DO work.

"The number of new coronavirus cases in Arizona fell by about 75 percent in less than a month after mask-wearing became widely enforced and bars and gyms were shut down, according to a report released Friday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). "
https://thehill.com/changing-america...0n6OJeLXEumKFU

Old 10-09-2020, 12:11 PM

7,925 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Now here's something.
https://www.masslive.com/coronavirus...ce-venues.html

Connect the dots...literally. How many places are between red communities that might follow suit. there goes dining in the 128 belt.

https://www.masslive.com/resizer/zih...WFYWNLHNBI.png

Old 10-09-2020, 02:33 PM

15,863 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post

If we have another stimulus bill it really should be towards some of the small businesses. We need to show small businesses how to do more online (keywords, websites, social media etc). At the same point there has to be some form of day care for kids and outreaching the elderly community. To take care of kids and elderly parents and work at the same time is burning people out. Some just aren't even working and this is explaining the drop in unemployment.

My boss just announced that she's taking a leave of absence for 3 months because the demands at work and also taking care of two children, one with special needs, means she's not doing well for anyone - least of all herself. I'm worried there may be a domino effect. One more coworkers in my small (<20) department confided in me that they're considering the same, and two more are down to part time due to their childcare needs. We're down two staff members and had to pull four open new positions beyond that. With my boss gone for at least 3 months, her role is split between me and one other person, with both of us already working 60-70 hours a week. No extra pay or title, of course, though pay and title don't generate extra time.

I hear echoes of this with other friends and colleagues at other organizations. While I feel lucky to be employed and able to work from home, so many of us are on our last legs between juggling childcare, eldercare, difficulties of working remotely for communication/collaboration, and increased workloads in general.

Old 10-09-2020, 02:52 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
With my boss gone for at least 3 months, her role is split between me and one other person, with both of us already working 60-70 hours a week. No extra pay or title, of course, though pay and title don't generate extra time.
That's when you start when you start interviewing, assuming you have marketable skills ... which, based on your other posts, sounds like you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts