Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2020, 10:22 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I read it, thanks. That's your mantra here is when someone doesn't agree with what you said you tell them they didn't read your comment lol.

So why do you respond like you didn't read it? Did you just not understand it? You completely excised the salient points, as usual. Your response come across as: woooooossh, I missed the simple and easy to understand point. There was NO disdain for people working at home. NONE NONE NONE. There was no DISDAIN for people working gig jobs or those utilizing them. NONE NONE NONE. Yet that's what you took from it when the point was entirely something else. Why is that, if you actually read it?

Were you the one that suggested days ago that nursing home workers shouldn't be allowed to work at multiple locations? Have you figured out why that is happening and why it won't change yet? Or do you need that explained?

Quote:
And that's where your self awareness is lacking. You have no idea what it's like to do your own job AND educate a 4 and 6 year ( or tell them stop what they're while you're on a call ). This isn't typical parenting right now.

That isn't "self awareness", as this self doesn't have children, duh. I chose not to have them. And yes, I have an idea as many of my friends and some family have multiple kids under 10. They're all really enjoying the extra time together. Loving it, in fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2020, 10:23 AM

16,412 posts, read 8,198,277 times
'When I talk about people staying home, I mean when it's possible. If you have to go to work, that's fine, but your kids don't need to go to hockey practice and you definitely don't need to see multiple households at Thanksgiving. And I wish there was more done to encourage companies to allow people to work from home if they are able to do their job that way, rather than requiring face time. I see my staying at home as a way to protect people who have to go to work, and am happy to do so.'

You really don't know what other people's kids need or what other people need. Do you have a problem with hockey players in general? Kind of seems like it with the amount of disdain you have towards hockey practice. The kids wear masks and the rink is basically a ghost town. Not worried about hockey.

Old 11-17-2020, 10:27 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
So why do you respond like you didn't read it? Did you just not understand it? You completely excised the salient points, as usual. Your response come across as: woooooossh, I missed the simple and easy to understand point. There was NO disdain for people working at home. NONE NONE NONE. There was no DISDAIN for people working gig jobs or those utilizing them. NONE NONE NONE. Yet that's what you took from it when the point was entirely something else. Why is that, if you actually read it?

Were you the one that suggested days ago that nursing home workers shouldn't be allowed to work at multiple locations? Have you figured out why that is happening and why it won't change yet? Or do you need that explained?
You constantly talk about how people who can work from home are privileged and they need to glorify and be ever so thankful of the privilege they have of being able to sit at home and work.

At my company there are people who cannot be on campus and they cant do the job from home (cafeteria workers, janitors, security guards, receptionists) So they can't work and are still getting paid. I think those are the people who should feel pretty darn lucky.

Old 11-17-2020, 10:27 AM

23,568 posts, read 18,707,417 times
See what you started timberline742? Since the point is apparently lost on so many, maybe you should step and explain WHO you were referring to with this comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Another pet peeve. "Hey, I'm staying isolated at home! I'm doing the right thing!" while they pay pennies to gig economy people living hand to mouth to walk their dogs, do their shopping, etc. Gross (unless that person has a compromised immune system of some sort or needs to quarantine).

The crickets will speak for themselves.

Old 11-17-2020, 10:30 AM

For the record I am thankful that I still have a job that i can do from home and that I wasn't just laid off or something, but I'm not sure I'd call this privileged.

Old 11-17-2020, 10:32 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
You constantly talk about how people who can work from home are privileged and they need to glorify and be ever so thankful of the privilege they have of being able to sit at home and work.

This is true. They have the luxury of being able to work from home and stay safe. Very fortunate indeed. Saying people should be aware of their privilege has NOTHING to do with having disdain of them. Nothing. Not remotely related.

Quote:
At my company there are people who cannot be on campus and they cant do the job from home (cafeteria workers, janitors, security guards, receptionists) So they can't work and are still getting paid. I think those are the people who should feel pretty darn lucky.

I'm sure they are, as for a large percentage of people in jobs like that they're out of work now and earning nothing. Those people are fortunate to still have paychecks coming in and I have no doubt they are indeed thankful for that.

Quote:
For the record I am thankful that I still have a job that i can do from home and that I wasn't just laid off or something, but I'm not sure I'd call this privileged.

REALLY? That you are forced to choose between having a job and going in every day over this past 8 months, probably on public transit, or being out of work (potentially). You don't feel that's a privileged position? No words.

Old 11-17-2020, 10:39 AM

I'm not comparing myself to anyone else on this. It's my own situation.

Old 11-17-2020, 10:39 AM

9,096 posts, read 6,317,546 times
Quote:
Some people conflate the words fortunate and privileged. I readily admit that I am fortunate that my job can be WFH and my skill set and education give me access to careers that can be performed remotely. Privilege implies receiving benefits without having to work or sacrifice for them, like being born into wealth.

Old 11-17-2020, 10:41 AM

23,568 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Virtue signalling.

Old 11-17-2020, 10:41 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Some people conflate the words fortunate and privileged. I readily admit that I am fortunate that my job can be WFH and my skill set and education give me access to careers that can be performed remotely. Privilege implies receiving benefits without having to work or sacrifice for them, like being born into wealth.
Yes, the word privilege is thrown around at way too much these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts