Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2020, 10:43 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Some people conflate the words fortunate and privileged. I readily admit that I am fortunate that my job can be WFH and my skill set and education give me access to careers that can be performed remotely. Privilege implies receiving benefits without having to work or sacrifice for them, like being born into wealth.

That is one definition of privilege, not the sole one. Another definition is a benefit enjoyed by a person or subset of people beyond the advantages of most people. Being able to work from home certainly fits that since a minority of people can do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2020, 10:48 AM

23,569 posts, read 18,672,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
That is one definition of privilege, not the sole one. Another definition is a benefit enjoyed by a person or subset of people beyond the advantages of most people. Being able to work from home certainly fits that since a minority of people can do so.
But who gave you the authority to decide who is privileged and who is not? I find that sort of finger pointing is all too often a sign that one's mirror is in need of adjustment. People need to worry about themselves.

Old 11-17-2020, 10:52 AM

Some of us aren't selfish and worry about far more than ourselves. We worry about our communities, our states, our country and the world in general. If I just worried about myself and ignored the wide world, I'd become part of the problem. No thank you. Just like if I voted for my personal self interests: who would cut my taxes (or say, not wanting to fund education because I don't have children in public schools), who would enact policies to help my career, etc. I'd be a really bad citizen of the world. Nope. Not acceptable. People that live like that are the problem.

Just worrying about myself is naive, and promoting a fantasy land. We do very little by ourselves, in a vacuum. I have two advanced degrees and a BS. None of those were done just by myself. The loans I paid off for the undergrad in combination with the scholarships weren't just my doing. The jobs I had had clients... the scholarship funding came from somewhere. The assistantship that paid for one masters had funding paid for by others; sure, I worked to get it and worked for it, but its not due to just my work, mind, or effort. It's a societal effort. Very very very little is due to a single person's work and therefore as single person can't take credit for it. Not justly. We aren't individuals in little bubbles. We are part of the society and the world. We owe each other.

This thinking "worry about myself" is one reason we're in this covid problem of course.

Last edited by timberline742; 11-17-2020 at 11:14 AM..

Old 11-17-2020, 10:54 AM

9,070 posts, read 6,300,219 times
Quote:
Can we at least agree that people born into political influence and people born into wealth possess the greatest amounts of privilege, far above everyone else?

Old 11-17-2020, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Some of us aren't selfish and worry about far more than ourselves. We worry about our communities, our states, our country and the world in general. If I just worried about myself and ignored the wide world, I'd become part of the problem. No thank you. Just like if I voted for my personal self interests: who would cut my taxes (or say, not wanting to fund education because I don't have children in public schools), who would enact policies to help my career, etc. I'd be a really bad citizen of the world. Nope. Not acceptable. People that live like that are the problem.
Caring about others does not = judging others and/or playing referee on who is "privileged" or needs "self reflection", and who doesn't.

Old 11-17-2020, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Can we at least agree that people born into political influence and people born into wealth possess the greatest amounts of privilege, far above everyone else?

There are degrees. Sure. I was born a white male in the U.S. That's an incredibly privileged position in the world. I hit the lottery.

But yes, people born into money and power are near the top.

Old 11-17-2020, 10:58 AM

16,308 posts, read 8,126,207 times
Default re

Quote:
Do you care about Trump supporters?

Old 11-17-2020, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Do you care about Trump supporters?

I do. I hope they can be helped and educated and learn to live better lives. I also care about the incredible damage they do to our world. The research on them is quite fascinating, and as someone who has worked a great deal in Midwestern rural communities (mostly Indiana, Kentucky and Wisconsin), I do feel sorry for so many of them at times. The rural areas are dying. The best and brightest leave for Universities (often the state flagship) and never come back. The rest are left. And they're grasping to hold on. I had to do a fair amount of traveling recently, via car because flying wouldn't have worked, WV, KY, IL, WI, PA etc... the rural areas are falling apart (unless its a county seat where services are located). Town after town of vacant downtowns with dollar generals and a gas station being all that's left. Trump signs everywhere highlighted the decay. It's sad. And no, its not like Dems are the answer at all. Definitely not buying that false dichotomy. Neither party has taken concrete steps to help these people. Relatively simple things like a high speed internet program for all of the country ala the electrification and phone programs of the past. It's pathetic.

Old 11-17-2020, 11:20 AM

Quote:
And no, its not like Dems are the answer at all. Definitely not buying that false dichotomy. Neither party has taken concrete steps to help these people.
I'm glad that you at least realize this. But fact is, Trump brought lower taxes and oil prices (here in rural Maine that is HUGE) which helps most of these people in the short term. When one is struggling, the short term is really all that matters. The Democrats (pre-WJC) once had many of these folks. You ought to ask yourself why and how they lost them, if you really want to talk about self-reflection. For one who hates Trump (or whoever) so much, the first step is understanding how they ended up there in the first place.

Old 11-17-2020, 11:26 AM

I don't need to ask myself, as I've been researching, discussing and writing about it for years. Thank you.

(Though there is always more to learn.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts