Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2021, 10:10 AM

15,965 posts, read 7,027,888 times

Advertisements

My Town Covid Hotline informed that there is insufficient vaccines available to cover all those eligible for Phase 2.
No appointments yet. 65+ are included in this group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2021, 10:48 AM

12,866 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I got the Moderna last week and that's pretty much what I experienced, although I've never had the flu shot to compare it to. One friend of mine also just had it and did get super sick for maybe 24-36 hours afterwards, although he had Covid a month or two ago so not sure whether that had an effect or not. Everyone else I know/heard of had minor to no side effects similar to myself. It's the 2nd shot I hear can be a little rough on some, but more so on the Pfizer. I'll report back in 3 weeks.
Good to know. IIRC correctly, we're similar in age, so I'm curious to see if my experience will be similar. I guess i'll find out in a few days. I've heard some second hand accounts similar to your friend's, but nobody personally. My brother said he had less trouble with the second shot, but that's just one experience. I think people sharing experiences here can be helpful - there seems to be a lot of concern around the vaccine. I'm curious as to whether the side effects are really all that much worse than any other vaccine but the high profile nature of COVID is putting this one under a microscope.

Old 01-26-2021, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
My Town Covid Hotline informed that there is insufficient vaccines available to cover all those eligible for Phase 2.
It may get you nowhere, but I'd call your PCP and any other organization that you're affiliated with and may offer the vaccine (i.e. the VA, your pharmacy, your insurance provider, etc.). There's relatively uneven distribution and limited supply. But some places that have do the vaccine have a hard time getting enough people to utilize all of the doses and are pulling other affiliated people in, even if they're not part of that "phase." (this is how i'm scheduled to get it). Others have zero access at all. There's a chance you may be eligible through one of your affiliations or another. It really can't hurt to ask anyone/everyone.

Old 01-26-2021, 11:27 AM

23,560 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
It may get you nowhere, but I'd call your PCP and any other organization that you're affiliated with and may offer the vaccine (i.e. the VA, your pharmacy, your insurance provider, etc.). There's relatively uneven distribution and limited supply. But some places that have do the vaccine have a hard time getting enough people to utilize all of the doses and are pulling other affiliated people in, even if they're not part of that "phase." (this is how i'm scheduled to get it). Others have zero access at all. There's a chance you may be eligible through one of your affiliations or another. It really can't hurt to ask anyone/everyone.
Good point there. For example, I have family in the 65-75 category who might live in NH, RI or CT but have their PCP in Mass. (or vice versa). They are utilizing all means (local/state authorities, PCP, employer, VA...) holding out for whoever opens up first. It's going to be a waiting game regardless, but your odds improve the more lists you get on.

Old 01-26-2021, 11:41 AM

23,560 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Good to know. IIRC correctly, we're similar in age, so I'm curious to see if my experience will be similar. I guess i'll find out in a few days. I've heard some second hand accounts similar to your friend's, but nobody personally. My brother said he had less trouble with the second shot, but that's just one experience. I think people sharing experiences here can be helpful - there seems to be a lot of concern around the vaccine. I'm curious as to whether the side effects are really all that much worse than any other vaccine but the high profile nature of COVID is putting this one under a microscope.

Another thing about this guy is that while no health challenges I'm aware of, he has a high stress job and on top of that a stressful home life with special needs child (I doubt he gets adequate sleep on a good week). And like I said, he recently had Covid which he could still be dealing with the fallout of. Add all that together, it will bring down one's immune system and like anything else will probably be hit harder. They say you should always (if possible) arrange to get this done at the beginning of your time off. Personally I did this through my employer and even though my shot #2 lies in the middle of the work week for me, they are already anticipating giving sick leave for the following days (if needed of course). Hopefully most other places will be similarly accommodating.

Old 01-26-2021, 07:13 PM

15,797 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I got the Moderna last week and that's pretty much what I experienced, although I've never had the flu shot to compare it to. One friend of mine also just had it and did get super sick for maybe 24-36 hours afterwards, although he had Covid a month or two ago so not sure whether that had an effect or not. Everyone else I know/heard of had minor to no side effects similar to myself. It's the 2nd shot I hear can be a little rough on some, but more so on the Pfizer. I'll report back in 3 weeks.
My Sister, a nurse, got the shot in early Jan. 4-5 days later she had all the symptoms of Covid, but kept testing negative. Fever, chills, aches, etc. Cleared up after a few days and that was it. Very strange. She had the second shot without any issue.

Everyone else I know that got the shot: sore arm

At this point, both my parents and siblings (and their husbands) have been vaccinated as part of phase 1. My wife might be part of phase 2. I'm phase 3.

Old 01-26-2021, 07:20 PM

2,352 posts, read 1,780,522 times
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/whi...ccine-n1255744

Seems unnecessary but Biden bought another 100M doses of both Pfizer and Moderna. So that covers the entire adult population without even including what's been bought for J&J and any other possible vaccines. You're not going to get 100% of the adult population to take the vaccine obviously, so I don't know what they will do with it. Keep in reserve maybe?

Old 01-26-2021, 09:30 PM

943 posts, read 410,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/whi...ccine-n1255744

Seems unnecessary but Biden bought another 100M doses of both Pfizer and Moderna. So that covers the entire adult population without even including what's been bought for J&J and any other possible vaccines. You're not going to get 100% of the adult population to take the vaccine obviously, so I don't know what they will do with it. Keep in reserve maybe?
I think it's a good idea. Better too much than too little (like Biden said today, actually!). In case boosters are necessary, and/or they convert to a different variant etc.; we can always donate to other countries.
I also should say that while I have complained a lot about the US response to covid in this thread, it was a joy to listen to President Biden's announcement today. I am sure there will be a lot to criticize over the next few weeks and months, but it is such a relief that at least we now have federal leadership that is trying to get us on the right path (rather than explicitly and implicitly encouraging illness and death).

Old 01-27-2021, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I'm not sure how old you are, but anyone 75 or older can begin signing up for the vaccine beginning today. Here are the locations and ways to sign up: https://www.mass.gov/covid-19-vaccine

Old 01-27-2021, 05:59 AM

2,352 posts, read 1,780,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rach5 View Post
I think it's a good idea. Better too much than too little (like Biden said today, actually!). In case boosters are necessary, and/or they convert to a different variant etc.; we can always donate to other countries.
The cold storage requirements make that tough unless we are talking about a country in North America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts