Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2021, 10:23 AM

12,873 posts, read 22,040,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
Yes places of work did require them but MORE places are requiring them now. They have never pushed a vaccine like they do the covid ones now. It's 24 /7 on the tv vaccine vaccine vaccine. Get your shot get your shot!!!
There's a brand new virus that's crippled the world for 1.5 years and a vaccine that's effective at reducing its impact. Of course people are requiring them and pushing them. Why is any of this a reason not to get vaccinated? Just because "they" tell you that you should do it, it's a bad thing? If "they" made a huge push to get people to drink water, would you stop drinking water?

And by the way, I'm not in the slightest bit convinced that there has never been a comparable vaccine push (and of course, you've provided no evidence to support your argument... again). Google "smallpox and the American Revolution," Mandatory British Smallpox vaccinations, or German Vaccination Law. Inoculation requirements have existed for centuries and were always pushed hardest in response to outbreaks and epidemics. The novelty of this (vs., say, the Spanish Flu) one is that we were able to get an effective vaccine ready within a year of the discovery of the virus. It's a development worth celebrating, not getting caught up in crazy town political narratives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2021, 10:24 AM

12,451 posts, read 9,540,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
^This is exactly my point. Why Covid became a turning point for some folks, is totally inexplicable to me. Maybe historians will be more successful at figuring it out.
I am with you 100%. It's a strange world we are living in.

Old 09-08-2021, 10:32 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
Yes places of work did require them but MORE places are requiring them now. They have never pushed a vaccine like they do the covid ones now. It's 24 /7 on the tv vaccine vaccine vaccine. Get your shot get your shot!!!
They absolutely have. Should have seen small pox vaccine efforts.

Old 09-08-2021, 10:42 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
You have made sweeping claims like this again and again without including one shred of evidence to support them. You have no idea what you're talking about and don't seem to care as long as the ridiculous things you say fall in line with some nutty narrative. Vaccine requirements for work and school have been the norm for a long, long, long time. All sorts of medical testing have been required depending on the job, in fact. My father, a Vietnam Vet who has been known to dabble in conservative conspiracies from time to time, is even rolling his eyes at this stuff. Back in 1970 when he enlisted, he was injected with shot after shot after shot. They didn't even tell him what they were injecting him with or watch to ensure there wasn't a reaction. Just shot, shot, shot, shot, etc. "next!" - that practice is still pretty standard today.

Most schools in MA require a minimum of DTP, Polio, MMR, Chicken Pox, HepB, and a lead test. My employer required records of most of those (not Chicken Pox or lead) upon hire and requires an annual flu shot which they offer on-site every year. A COVID-19 vaccine requirement is a perfectly reasonable addition to that list. In fact, I'd argue it's more important than the flu vaccine since COVID considering the combination of danger from the virus and vaccine efficacy.
Wow! I couldn’t possibly come up with my vaccination records. I remember the polio vaccine on a sugar cube in a little paper cup in first grade. Everything else is long lost pediatrician records. I get a flu shot every year. I was a road warrior for years and it was part of the protocol to not be constantly sick along with hand washing OCD and taking a shower/changing clothes ASAP after any flight. Anyone who works in a hospital has had a mandatory flu shot forever. I never encountered it in high tech.

Old 09-08-2021, 10:58 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Wow! I couldn’t possibly come up with my vaccination records. I remember the polio vaccine on a sugar cube in a little paper cup in first grade. Everything else is long lost pediatrician records. I get a flu shot every year. I was a road warrior for years and it was part of the protocol to not be constantly sick along with hand washing OCD and taking a shower/changing clothes ASAP after any flight. Anyone who works in a hospital has had a mandatory flu shot forever. I never encountered it in high tech.
Really? Every time I get a booster the Dr. prints out the list for me to keep with my passport/yellow fever card. I'm betting you can get it from your PCP.

Old 09-08-2021, 11:20 AM

779 posts, read 878,005 times
I'm scheduling my vaccine in the next week, but am interested in opinions. I had COVID in Feb of this year. Based on the studies and research I've read, one MRNA dose is all that is needed for those who've had covid. An article from UCLA states "Our data suggest that a person who previously had COVID-19 has a huge response after the first mRNA vaccination and has little or no benefit from the second dose".

If I only get one Pfizer or Moderna shot, I won't be considered fully vaccinated, which could be an issue down the road if my employer needs proof of vaccination or I need it for travel, etc. It may be that the CDC changes its requirement at some point, but who knows. So it seems like my best option is to try to find the J&J vaccine. Does it seem like that's the best route to go? Can I just call around to local clinics offering the vaccine and find out if J&J is available?

Old 09-08-2021, 11:22 AM

7,927 posts, read 7,820,807 times
I think the greater notion that might be argued here is when exactly is something safe enough? That's a much more legitimate argument rather than being dismissive of the vaccine. When I work in retail safety with job number one. If it wasn't safe we're not going to do it for a variety of reasons. Our main competitor had a fatality and they changed the whole industry. And when I was working there are competitor the same one sent a convicted rapist to a woman's house. About 2 weeks before that we started doing criminal background checks. Where we lucky? I don't know but it certainly isn't worth preventing that check from happening.

Warehousing equipment has a bid of a weight capacity. If you're looking to operate a forklift or forms of Pickers it can only accommodate about 300 lbs. It doesn't matter whether it's a person or material but if there's more than 300 lb it cannot be operated safely. Is that discrimination against larger people? Should they spend tens of thousands of dollars or more equipment to accommodate people that are larger?

Generations ago we debated seat belts. Seat belts used to be an extra but it was decided that it made sense to just incorporate it as a standard car feature. You cannot buy a new car without seat belts and many states will reject you on inspections unless it's grandfathered in as some part of an antique car.

There are certain situations were testing does matter. If you buy a house they're going to have some form of testing for lead and Asbestos and radon. They have to tell you if anything comes up.

Old 09-08-2021, 11:28 AM

6,138 posts, read 5,105,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
I'm scheduling my vaccine in the next week, but am interested in opinions. I had COVID in Feb of this year. Based on the studies and research I've read, one MRNA dose is all that is needed for those who've had covid. An article from UCLA states "Our data suggest that a person who previously had COVID-19 has a huge response after the first mRNA vaccination and has little or no benefit from the second dose".

If I only get one Pfizer or Moderna shot, I won't be considered fully vaccinated, which could be an issue down the road if my employer needs proof of vaccination or I need it for travel, etc. It may be that the CDC changes its requirement at some point, but who knows. So it seems like my best option is to try to find the J&J vaccine. Does it seem like that's the best route to go? Can I just call around to local clinics offering the vaccine and find out if J&J is available?
The CDC recommends you get the full course regardless. Unless your physician tells you otherwise. Personally, I'd rather get the mRNA because of what I've seen about efficacy against Delta, but it shouldn't matter.

Old 09-08-2021, 11:30 AM

32 posts, read 17,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post

While there are many studies and articles that suggest individuals with a documented prior COVID-19 infection maybe sufficiently protected from reinfection after a single mRNA vaccine dose. I’d suggest you reach out to your doctor or clinic to get the best medical advice based on your specifics.

Old 09-08-2021, 11:32 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Really? Every time I get a booster the Dr. prints out the list for me to keep with my passport/yellow fever card. I'm betting you can get it from your PCP.
Nope. I had no continuity like that. I usually didn’t have a PCP until I broke 40. My first 15 to 20 years of blue chip corporate insurance, I pretty much only ever saw the MGH sports medicine people like Zarins. If something broke, I called the office and made an appointment. If they needed to go into a knee or shoulder, they did the physical in the Wang Building. My travel has been all westernized places. Singapore, Taiwan, Korea, Hong Kong, OZ/NZ, Western Europe, Israel. Nobody ever asked for proof of vaccination from an American. Other than a few tetanus shots, lots of flu shots, and the Pfizer jabs, needles other than IV in the hospital have been to remove blood for lab work, not to inject things. I should probably get a shingles vaccination.

My cat, I have all the records. Me, not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts