Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2020, 05:47 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,452,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
And that you would consider 100 children a statistical rounding error makes me very sad. I wonder what you would say if your child was part of the 'rounding error'.
"On average, 12,175 children 0 to 19 years of age died each year in the United States from an unintentional injury."
https://www.cdc.gov/safechild/child_injury_data.html

https://www.cdc.gov/injury/wisqars/p...p_2018-508.pdf

Your position has nothing to do with reality. It's just purely sentimental.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2020, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Reporting at its most dishonest: "Nearly 108 million people in China’s Jilin province could be forced back into lockdown after a growing group of new coronavirus infections triggered a backslide in the nation’s push to return to normal."

They literally looked at one place with with some new cases and included the "region" with 108 million even though the policies have not been instituted for anywhere near that many people. It's not even really clear any of this has really happened. Can't find any local sources whatsoever.

Old 05-21-2020, 06:18 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I had the same thought that the hospital where I'm getting a sleep apnea study done Friday was too full of COVID for me to feel okay. I found out casually that there is sufficient PPE, the COVID wing is being closed down for lack of need and is separate from the regular beds, etc. etc...I've gone to the dentist, had an audiology check and chiropractic treatment since realizing this is the new normal and everything is being done for proper precautions in the circumstance.
That's all great but is is a thread on Coronavirus in Massachusetts. Posts about the conditions in other areas aren't particularly useful.

Old 05-21-2020, 06:19 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,677 times
My kids have still gone for hikes and bike rides. I guess there are people out there who haven’t left their homes in 10 weeks but that isn’t how we went about this. We still went on hikes and walked beaches. Not sure If the people who stayed cooped up for 10 weeks feel better about themselves or what. There was never any rules against going hiking or walking. Kids aren’t the problem with covid and schools have been closed anyways.

Old 05-21-2020, 07:00 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Welp, going to Home Depot today. I think I've held out as long as I can. Time to start rejoining society with some personal precautions in place.

Old 05-21-2020, 07:19 AM

779 posts, read 877,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
My kids have still gone for hikes and bike rides. I guess there are people out there who haven’t left their homes in 10 weeks but that isn’t how we went about this. We still went on hikes and walked beaches. Not sure If the people who stayed cooped up for 10 weeks feel better about themselves or what. There was never any rules against going hiking or walking. Kids aren’t the problem with covid and schools have been closed anyways.
We have been taking the kids to new beaches/parks on weekends as a way to try to keep things interesting for them and get them out of the house. We also get them outside (in the yard or a nearby trail) every day, it's just harder to do anything adventurous during the week due to work. Our pediatrician told us that it's really important to get the kids outdoors because they need to be out in the world. He said he's concerned about anxiety in children who have not left the house for the past 2 months.

My 8-year-old had a birthday party last weekend where we all stayed in our cars and watched a movie outside. The kids liked seeing each other from a distance, but afterward my daughter struggled because she misses playing with her friends and is "scared she won't know how to play anymore". I know this is taking a toll on kids' lives because we've stripped them of all social interaction and it's awkward for them to only see friends through a computer or through a window. We're all just doing the best we can.

Old 05-21-2020, 07:31 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
That's all great but is is a thread on Coronavirus in Massachusetts. Posts about the conditions in other areas aren't particularly useful.

Good point, sorry. I have gotten in the habit of posting my goings-about and the conditions there to let people know what the conditions are (data point). I post in too many places, I think. Apologies. I tried to remove it but it was too late.

Old 05-21-2020, 07:44 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Reporting at its most dishonest: "Nearly 108 million people in China’s Jilin province could be forced back into lockdown after a growing group of new coronavirus infections triggered a backslide in the nation’s push to return to normal."

They literally looked at one place with with some new cases and included the "region" with 108 million even though the policies have not been instituted for anywhere near that many people. It's not even really clear any of this has really happened. Can't find any local sources whatsoever.
Just stop it, it was not dishonest reporting. And if you had really wanted a local source, you could have found one, it took me about 3 minutes:

South China Morning Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXoTGHy0el4

Old 05-21-2020, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Just stop it, it was not dishonest reporting. And if you had really wanted a local source, you could have found one, it took me about 3 minutes:

South China Morning Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXoTGHy0el4
Oh just stop it! This references 700k people and it's not even clear what to what extent "lockdown" is prevalent.

You said 100 million. That is dishonest reporting.

btw this is what I found when seearching and that was factored into my previous post. Because there is no evidence that 100 million people are in lockdown and this "could be" is very weasely and purely speculative.

Old 05-21-2020, 07:56 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,677 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
We have been taking the kids to new beaches/parks on weekends as a way to try to keep things interesting for them and get them out of the house. We also get them outside (in the yard or a nearby trail) every day, it's just harder to do anything adventurous during the week due to work. Our pediatrician told us that it's really important to get the kids outdoors because they need to be out in the world. He said he's concerned about anxiety in children who have not left the house for the past 2 months.

My 8-year-old had a birthday party last weekend where we all stayed in our cars and watched a movie outside. The kids liked seeing each other from a distance, but afterward my daughter struggled because she misses playing with her friends and is "scared she won't know how to play anymore". I know this is taking a toll on kids' lives because we've stripped them of all social interaction and it's awkward for them to only see friends through a computer or through a window. We're all just doing the best we can.
My kids are 4 and 6 and I guess they don’t seem anxious at this point in time but I have no idea how this will affect them developmentally. Hopefully they’ll barely remember it. In the grand scheme of life this was only about 2 months. We also tried to keep things as normal as possible.

I do know of a few families who didn’t leave the house or their yard at all. The mother is very anxious about a lot of things. My boss also didn’t leave his house and it seemed bizarre to me but his wife is high risk. The chances of these people based on where the live getting covid were very low. Staying in the house for the whole damn two months seems unhealthy to me is what I’m saying I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts