Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2020, 04:00 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,778,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
As of last week, Chelsea had 2955 cases. I know the Soldier's Home was a hot spot but AFAIK, there aren't that many residents there.
If you are talking about deaths, that's probably where the deaths were.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2020, 06:28 AM

875 posts, read 663,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
If you are talking about deaths, that's probably where the deaths were.
20% of the covid deaths in Chelsea were at the soldiers home - approx. 30 of 150

Chelsea still has the highest 14 day positivity rate in the state

Old 07-12-2020, 06:33 AM

875 posts, read 663,478 times
Here is the latest City/Town data

https://www.mass.gov/doc/weekly-covi...-2020/download

Old 07-12-2020, 09:20 AM

9,529 posts, read 16,510,276 times
I'm from Mass originally and retired in Fla. Let me tell everyone up there. If you have friends or relatives down here, that want to visit you. Or anyone that decided to take a quick trip down here to visit. If they want to visit you up in Mass tell them NO.

I am not exaggerating nor is the news. Things are completely out of control in Fla. Some regions in the state are dealing with it properly. Most are not
Wearing a mask here is not enforced in most of Fla. People are all over not wearing them. The Publix grocery stores here have had over 4O stores where employees test positive. Yet those stores are open. I drive by one to see if its closed. It's open I won't go in. The customers pour in with no masks on. Can you believe this level of ignorance and arrogance.

I've lived in Fla a couple of years now. I seriously doubt I can take it after this year. Between the level of arrogance and Politics in these Red States with this Virus. The level of ignorance with how Huricannes are handled. I think this state has Mental Problems. The only thing that is important here is Money for Florida. Safety doesn't matter at all. I'm not cut out to live in a red state evidently.

So tell your Florida relatives and friends. No visit to Mass this year. It's basically a given here because of our massive outbreaks of Covid19. The refusal to take adequate measures. ThatThe majority of us living here in Florida have this Virus now. I hate to think what is going to happen in the next few weeks down here

Old 07-12-2020, 09:33 AM

6,122 posts, read 5,092,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I'm from Mass originally and retired in Fla. Let me tell everyone up there. If you have friends or relatives down here, that want to visit you. Or anyone that decided to take a quick trip down here to visit. If they want to visit you up in Mass tell them NO.

I am not exaggerating nor is the news. Things are completely out of control in Fla. Some regions in the state are dealing with it properly. Most are not
Wearing a mask here is not enforced in most of Fla. People are all over not wearing them. The Publix grocery stores here have had over 4O stores where employees test positive. Yet those stores are open. I drive by one to see if its closed. It's open I won't go in. The customers pour in with no masks on. Can you believe this level of ignorance and arrogance.

I've lived in Fla a couple of years now. I seriously doubt I can take it after this year. Between the level of arrogance and Politics in these Red States with this Virus. The level of ignorance with how Huricannes are handled. I think this state has Mental Problems. The only thing that is important here is Money for Florida. Safety doesn't matter at all. I'm not cut out to live in a red state evidently.

So tell your Florida relatives and friends. No visit to Mass this year. It's basically a given here because of our massive outbreaks of Covid19. The refusal to take adequate measures. ThatThe majority of us living here in Florida have this Virus now. I hate to think what is going to happen in the next few weeks down here
Great firsthand testimonial.

What you're describing is exactly why the "positivity" (% testing positive) is so important. In several of the current hotspots in AZ, FL, and TX, it's around 30%. Think about what that means. Assuming the testing samples are large enough (and they will become more representative over time), it means 1 in 3 or 1 in 4 people you run into, could be infected (symptomatic or not). Add on top of that, that no one is wearing masks or distancing indoors, and it can be disastrous.

Keeping fingers crossed that the positivity rate here in MA in <2% (i.e. 1 in 50 people). We were up near 25% in April. Baker waited till positivity rate fell to safe levels before reopening...and this downward trend has continued even after Phase 3.

Old 07-12-2020, 09:42 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,434,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post

What you're describing is exactly why the "positivity" (% testing positive) is so important. In several of the current hotspots in AZ, FL, and TX, it's around 30%. Think about what that means. Assuming the testing samples are large enough (and they will become more representative over time), it means 1 in 3 or 1 in 4 people you run into, could be infected (symptomatic or not). Add on top of that, that no one is wearing masks or distancing indoors, and it can be disastrous.

Keeping fingers crossed that the positivity rate here in MA in <2% (i.e. 1 in 50 people). We were up near 25% in April. Baker waited till positivity rate fell to safe levels before reopening...and this downward trend has continued even after Phase 3.

That's not quite what positivity means - high positivity is bad, but not THAT bad. If it was, Mass would be at 25-30% impacted, and it doesn't mean like we're anywhere near that yet.

What it does mean, however, is that these states do not have nearly enough testing. People who are sick don't know they're sick - symptoms or not - and aren't likely to have adequate access to testing. While here in Mass, you can get tested in plenty of places with no symptoms, if the positivity rate is 20%+ that means that even people *with* symptoms are likely to have trouble getting tested. Without shutdowns, as we experienced in Mass when our positivity rate was spiking, people spread the disease far more.

Old 07-12-2020, 10:29 AM

6,122 posts, read 5,092,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
That's not quite what positivity means - high positivity is bad, but not THAT bad. If it was, Mass would be at 25-30% impacted, and it doesn't mean like we're anywhere near that yet.
You're right, and that's why I added the caveat. Although I'd argue...with MA having tested (as of yesterday) 14% of its population, that our % number is pretty representative. The statisticians here will no doubt weigh in on what constitutes a representative, random sampling!

Old 07-12-2020, 10:59 AM

1,006 posts, read 2,660,938 times
Jimrob what are you going to do about it? I live in Florida too and have two elderly parents in assisted livings. I have been wanting to move to MA for a long time and feel ready to get out of here now. I feel like the Jews in Germany who stayed because they felt it would be ok.

Old 07-12-2020, 12:34 PM

24,558 posts, read 18,244,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post

The thing is, in a big outbreak, the people getting tested are the ones who are already sick or who have been exposed to someone who is sick. Most people aren’t going to stand is a huge queue in the Florida heat to have a toothbrush stuffed up their nose unless they have good reason to think they might have it. Given the 30% false negative results with the test, 30% is most likely more like 40%.

I know in Connecticut, nursing home staff are being tested weekly and I’m pretty sure Massachusetts follows that same protocol. You want to protect the highest risk people. I imagine that is a substantial percentage of the people being tested in the weekly scores because it’s so vital. I sure hope the red states with the huge outbreaks have learned from the Northeast Corridor nursing home disaster and are following that protocol.

Old 07-12-2020, 04:27 PM

17,700 posts, read 9,175,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
You want to protect the highest risk people. I imagine that is a substantial percentage of the people being tested in the weekly scores because it’s so vital. I sure hope the red states with the huge outbreaks have learned from the Northeast Corridor nursing home disaster and are following that protocol.
I heard that 1/3 of the covid deaths in Florida are people under 60. It's not just super old people in nursing homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts