Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2020, 08:49 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Here is the Lancet article: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...095-X/fulltext

It's not hard to find and you're going to just dismiss the conclusions for some reason or another, so it wasn't worth the tricky exercise to find and post the link on my phone (I'm at a computer now, so not as hard). For someone who demands peer review for a counter-agrument, you seem pretty slow to post links to peer review in favor of your argument.

Sure, maybe the proposed six feet of seperation is the magic formula that will be THE difference maker. In the absence of any evidence that this is the case (everything I've seen has been conjecture) so the usual rejoineder is that "it can't hurt". That's true, but misses the point that every restriction carries a cost. You want the benefit to outweigh the cost.

My intuition tells me that schools should probably be open open or just entirely closed. The six foot thing seems like the epitome of cargo-cult science. Someone somewhere said six feet, so that is what we're using in pretty much all situations from outside in parks to spending the entire day indoors. I wouldn't be surpised if no amount of social distancing makes much difference for people who spend the whole day in the same room.

In three months, many schools in the world will have been open for four or more months. There is already evidence that opening schools doesn't cause a spike in infection rates. In three months we will know even more. My hope is that schools will look at the evidence as it comes in and make plans based on evidence, not "common sense" or worst-case scenarios. If it means schools are totally closed, that is what it is. If it means that schools can totally open, I hope officials are going to be OK with that.

So it's using 2003 SARS data and 2009 H1N1 data.

Quote:
There are few data available from the literature on coronavirus outbreaks to guide countries on the use of school closures or other school social distancing practices during the COVID-19 pandemic.

You're going to base public policy on that paper? Really?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2020, 09:04 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times
Here's another interesting study regarding Covid-19 and schools:

http://ncirs.org.au/sites/default/fi...ril%202020.pdf

Old 06-09-2020, 09:21 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,926,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
So it's using 2003 SARS data and 2009 H1N1 data.

You're going to base public policy on that paper? Really?
I'd suggest taking that paper into account when formulating public policy. Of course all the papers you've been posting with ample evidence of how important school closures have been are pretty convincing. So we should weigh the body of evidence and make informed conclusions.

The issue is that in the absence of sufficient evidence, people often default to "I will believe what I believe unless you prove me wrong". You (and many policy-makers) have defaulted to this position on schools and have set a too-high barrier for what constitutes proof.

I can't definitively say kids are or aren't a major contributor. I would like us to keep an open mind on the question, not default to "kids are definitely superspreaders and we need to keep them isolated indefinitely". Other countries are running experiments on that question right now. I think we should be open to modifying our procedures (either more or less restrictive) based on evidence.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020...-still-mystery

Old 06-09-2020, 09:45 AM

1,362 posts, read 873,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Here is the Lancet article: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...095-X/fulltext

It's not hard to find and you're going to just dismiss the conclusions for some reason or another, so it wasn't worth the tricky exercise to find and post the link on my phone (I'm at a computer now, so not as hard). For someone who demands peer review for a counter-agrument, you seem pretty slow to post links to peer review in favor of your argument.

Sure, maybe the proposed six feet of seperation is the magic formula that will be THE difference maker. In the absence of any evidence that this is the case (everything I've seen has been conjecture) so the usual rejoineder is that "it can't hurt". That's true, but misses the point that every restriction carries a cost. You want the benefit to outweigh the cost.

My intuition tells me that schools should probably be open open or just entirely closed. The six foot thing seems like the epitome of cargo-cult science. Someone somewhere said six feet, so that is what we're using in pretty much all situations from outside in parks to spending the entire day indoors. I wouldn't be surpised if no amount of social distancing makes much difference for people who spend the whole day in the same room.

In three months, many schools in the world will have been open for four or more months. There is already evidence that opening schools doesn't cause a spike in infection rates. In three months we will know even more. My hope is that schools will look at the evidence as it comes in and make plans based on evidence, not "common sense" or worst-case scenarios. If it means schools are totally closed, that is what it is. If it means that schools can totally open, I hope officials are going to be OK with that.
I feel the same way regarding schools. I was perfectly fine with them closing down for the year due to uncertainty and erring on the side of caution, but there should be enough data this summer to understand with reasonable confidence how school attendance should be treated in the fall.

If numbers continue to drop and we pass successfully through each phase, everything will be in full swing by September. If everyone is back to work but kids are still home from school three days a week, that would be a nightmare.

Old 06-09-2020, 01:58 PM

2,353 posts, read 1,780,522 times
Ooh, Southeast Expressway congestion is pretty heavy today. Not the typical volume you would typically see but it's pretty bad. Guess things might be getting back to normal after all.

Old 06-09-2020, 02:59 PM

6,132 posts, read 5,103,250 times
Well, turns out the WHO claim on the rarity of "no asymptomatic spread" was overstated. Check out how our Gov didn't blindly accept that, but rather consulted his health care experts.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/06/...ff-good-start/

Old 06-09-2020, 03:22 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
I really am anxious about what will happen with schools in the fall. Just read this article:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bos...-reopening/amp

Seems like they’re spinning this to say that disadvantaged people particularly people of color won’t be able to afford PPE and will have trouble if kids aren’t in school full time. I’d just hate to have the rule be no masks or have class be as normal because others can’t afford it. I’ll likely have my kids wear a mask either way.

Old 06-10-2020, 01:22 AM

162 posts, read 102,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post

Seems like they’re spinning this to say that disadvantaged people particularly people of color won’t be able to afford PPE....
I’d just hate to have the rule be no masks or have class be as normal because others can’t afford it.
Maybe they're not "spinning" it. Maybe they have a realistic, empathetic, compassionate understanding of poverty. Why not be a good guy and send your kids to school with extra masks for any of their peers who don't have one? As a way of showing karmic gratitude for the advantages afforded you?

Old 06-10-2020, 04:06 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
I really am anxious about what will happen with schools in the fall. Just read this article:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bos...-reopening/amp

Seems like they’re spinning this to say that disadvantaged people particularly people of color won’t be able to afford PPE and will have trouble if kids aren’t in school full time. I’d just hate to have the rule be no masks or have class be as normal because others can’t afford it. I’ll likely have my kids wear a mask either way.
My mask is a piece of cotton bed sheet, a couple of black hair elastic ties, and some thread. I don’t get the “can’t afford PPE”. It’s not like you need to buy a box of N95 masks every week.

A laptop or tablet with a broadband connection to do remote classroom? Yeah, that’s a barrier. A mask???? GMAFB.

Old 06-10-2020, 04:24 AM

2,353 posts, read 1,780,522 times
The MBTA is increasing service on June 21st. Other than the Blue Line, it'd still not be running at normal service then but it's much closer. Perhaps that's roughly the date when more people in Boston will be going back to the office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts