Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2020, 03:48 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times

Advertisements

I stopped by Mahoney’s Garden Center in Winchester this afternoon and drove right back out. Their (huge) parking lot was FULL and the place was a zoo. It is mostly outdoors but was just too crowded for me to deal with, not really even COVID related. People are busting out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2020, 05:05 PM

9,094 posts, read 6,317,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
I love not having to commute in. I don’t miss the train, traffic or being around hundreds of people at all

I get the sense that people who like working remotely are looked at as lazier than the people who want to be in the office. That is part of the problem. Just because someone is working from home doesn’t mean they’re doing less work but because they haven’t used any effort to go to the office and home it’s like they’re doing less than someone who does trek in. That mindset is so silly and needs to go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Back when I commuted into Boston, I'm sure my response would have been much different. Don't miss those days at all.

My ideal work situation would be a reverse commute or a local commute of less than 10 miles with one work from home day. If I had to choose between a drive towards Boston commute and work from home completely, I'd choose the WFH option.

Old 05-19-2020, 05:08 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
My ideal work situation would be a reverse commute or a local commute of less than 10 miles with one work from home day. If I had to choose between a drive towards Boston commute and work from home completely, I'd choose the WFH option.
I agree. It’s one thing to have to go to work everyday but a messy commute makes it worse. Sure if I had a reverse commute that took 10 min that would be better but I don’t know many people who have that if they work in Boston. Even going from Dorchester to downtown Boston is painful.

Old 05-19-2020, 05:53 PM

875 posts, read 663,995 times
Quote:
I’m surprised by all the people saying they miss the office. They just have very easy commutes or hate being in the house.
There may be other reasons other than the two you mentioned

Old 05-19-2020, 05:54 PM

6,129 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
I stopped by Mahoney’s Garden Center in Winchester this afternoon and drove right back out. Their (huge) parking lot was FULL and the place was a zoo. It is mostly outdoors but was just too crowded for me to deal with, not really even COVID related. People are busting out!
I live just down the street from there, and the place has been fairly busy for a while, including this past weekend.

Old 05-19-2020, 06:02 PM

7,927 posts, read 3,469,281 times
Quote:
Im enjoying the work from home. I commuted for years. I’m surprised by all the people saying they miss the office. They just have very easy commutes or hate being in the house.
Yeah I feel the same way. Some c-level type up thread threatened to take jobs away from locals and give them to people in lower COL areas if they get too comfortable and efficient working from home. Heck I see that as an opportunity. One thing that keeps people from moving to those areas is the lack of jobs and now employers are threatening to take that disincentive away from people. That would open up a lot more of the country to working professionals that are anchored to employment hubs.

Old 05-19-2020, 06:07 PM

15,863 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer2 View Post
There may be other reasons other than the two you mentioned

Yup. I have an atrocious commute and am far from bored at home, but I live alone and have had 0 physical contact and next to no face-to-face contact in 70 days. I would practically give my arm to be able to see even some of my least favorite coworkers in person.

A lot of introverts, especially introverts who live alone, get a lot of our social contact from work. I had no idea how much. With that gone, it's a mental health nightmare for many of the people I know who are completely isolated right now.

Old 05-19-2020, 06:12 PM

If the office were easier to get to I’d be ok with going in. However it isn’t easy to get to so the convenience of skipping a commuter train ride, then an orange line ride wins. I like my co workers but not that much.

I’m really hoping my kids have camp in July.

Anyone have plans for Memorial Day weekend? We normally go to the cape. It’s my son’s 6th bday and my 7th wedding anniversary. I think we will still go to the cape at some point but won’t be there all weekend and no big family cookout.

Old 05-19-2020, 06:48 PM

15,798 posts, read 20,504,199 times
My Memorial Day plans pretty much center around demoing a wall and framing in a 12-foot sliding door on our three-season porch.

Other than that, just hang with kids in yard and do some family BBQ. Might have some family stop by and chat with each other from 20 feet away outside.

Old 05-19-2020, 07:04 PM

I’ve been seeing my parents on a weekly basis. My aunt stopped by last week but she stayed in the yard and wore a mask. My mom also wears a mask when she comes by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts