Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2021, 01:09 PM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times

Advertisements

Going into the office these days could be viewed as a fool's errand as well. Just work from home. Seems a lot better than worrying about how much you'll pay for parking or getting a ticket, sitting in traffic OR dealing with the MBTA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2021, 02:12 PM

779 posts, read 877,194 times
We just found out that we are not expected to come into the office at all this summer and after Labor Day, we may need to come in 1 day/week at most. I'm in shock, but so happy. When I started with my company, I tried to negotiate working from home 1 day/week and they just were not receptive. My office is very much an in-office culture.

I'm still worried the culture has shifted from 9 - 5 to...well, basically all hours of the day at this point. But so long as I set my own limits and tell my boss when I'm overwhelmed, hopefully I can manage it better long-term.

Old 05-24-2021, 02:35 PM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
We just found out that we are not expected to come into the office at all this summer and after Labor Day, we may need to come in 1 day/week at most. I'm in shock, but so happy. When I started with my company, I tried to negotiate working from home 1 day/week and they just were not receptive. My office is very much an in-office culture.

I'm still worried the culture has shifted from 9 - 5 to...well, basically all hours of the day at this point. But so long as I set my own limits and tell my boss when I'm overwhelmed, hopefully I can manage it better long-term.
i'm in a similar situation. We wont be going back until Jan '22 and then will only be going in 1-2 times a week.

Old 05-24-2021, 06:23 PM

943 posts, read 410,072 times
Congrats on those where WFH (mostly) will continue, but sad to hear traffic is back up...
Got a good laugh from the CDC travel warning to Japan today "Because of the current situation in Japan even fully vaccinated travelers may be at risk for getting and spreading COVID-19 variants and should avoid all travel to Japan."

Old 05-24-2021, 07:00 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,770,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post

I lost desire for the 9 to 5 lifestyle long ago. I always thought employee hours should be staggered instead of having everyone come in and go out all at once. Hopefully this pandemic taught firms to be more creative and proactive to improving their employees schedules.

Old 05-24-2021, 10:24 PM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rach5 View Post
Congrats on those where WFH (mostly) will continue, but sad to hear traffic is back up...
Got a good laugh from the CDC travel warning to Japan today "Because of the current situation in Japan even fully vaccinated travelers may be at risk for getting and spreading COVID-19 variants and should avoid all travel to Japan."
Why is it funny? Could be that the US-approved vaccines have unknown efficacy against the variants circulating in Japan, right?

Old 05-25-2021, 12:21 AM

943 posts, read 410,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Why is it funny? Could be that the US-approved vaccines have unknown efficacy against the variants circulating in Japan, right?
No - it's actually the UK variant in Japan that's caused the current surge https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...es/7418076002/
As far as I can tell, case rates are also still lower in Japan than Rhode Island (and on the way down) - but no warnings about travel to our beautiful state. Of course, they are far behind in vaccinations and that would affect hospitalizations etc - but that shouldn't at present (at current case rates) affect vaccinated tourists in Japan (if the CDC were truthful in it's shift on masking). Of course they are worried about the Olympics, as they should be. However, how could it possibly be that our vaccines keep us safe in the US in a bar full of unvaccinated 20 somethings, but not at a shrine in Kyoto?
Edited to add: Just went to a Japanese website and the test positivity rate in Tokyo, one of the hotspots, is higher than in RI (around 5%) - but still, lots of US states still have worse positivity rates than that.

Last edited by rach5; 05-25-2021 at 12:51 AM..

Old 05-25-2021, 10:39 AM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
I just wish people would slow down. I've seen more accidents in the past three weeks than in the past ten months. Last week I saw a EIGHT car pileup on I91 south. Seriously I know things are reopening but they aren't closing them either. This is I91 not 128, traffic is usually light and accidents are a bit rare.

Even without cars there can still be more traffic. Kids an be out which also reminds me of cracking down on dirtbikes and fireworks. Hopefully we won't have the firework issue like last year.

Old 05-25-2021, 10:48 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
I was just thinking the same thing. I've seen quite a few accidents on the road the last week or so. It's been more than typical in my current route

Old 05-25-2021, 02:22 PM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
I made a trip down to Boston a few weeks ago, and drivers were probably the worst I ever seen. Tailgating at 85+, driving 40 mph in the left lane with right blinker on, eyes 100% off the road, you name it. GET A GRIP folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts