Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2021, 06:04 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,778,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
If the Israeli data is at all accurate and Pfizer has 39% efficacy against Delta, I think it’s beyond “not so sure about”. For the limited amount of time per week I’m indoors in public places, it’s no big deal to protect myself with an N95 mask. My fiancée is now beyond 6 months on her 2nd jab as a regional director for a bunch of hospitals. It won’t be long before I’m 6 months beyond my two Pfizer jabs. Israel is giving a 3rd jab to people 60+. I think it would be irresponsible not to circle back on healthcare workers and nursing home residents who were vaccinated in December/January.
I have doubts about a third dose really being that helpful. What you really need is a multivariant vaccine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2021, 06:22 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Well when it's a warm day and someone has a on a winter jacket it does look strange to me lol. It's more than just wearing a sweatshirt when it's 70 degrees. At this point it seems narcissistic to decide to go to a place like storyland but then throw on a mask. What good is a cloth mask outdoors and what is it going to do at this point? It reminds me of being on the train and seeing Asian people wearing a mask pre covid. Id be like ok are you sick ? Let me move away from you and you should have stayed home. If you're that paranoid about getting sick you should just stay home. At the end of the day I'm not losing sleep over this but it seems stupid to bother going to an amusement park if you feel the need to wear a mask. If someone is so afraid of being around others why not just stay home ?
This is a bizarre take.

If you are so concerned with what others are doing when not only does it not impact you, but may actually benefit you, why not just stay home?

Old 08-03-2021, 06:26 PM

Something has certainly shifted in the past week. I know a lot of people (10+) who have shared on social media that they currently have either vaccine breakthrough COVID or have COVID for a second time. In both sets of cases, they're pretty mild cases, but it's still enough to be very concerned.

We are expected to be back in the office at least once a week starting next week, so I just bought N95s for my team. We are all vaccinated (as is required at work), but masks are only strongly encouraged but not required if not with more than 5 people. We haven't gotten great guidance about what that means for people in cubical, so my department has instituted its own mask requirement for everyone.

Old 08-03-2021, 06:33 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,768,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Well when it's a warm day and someone has a on a winter jacket it does look strange to me lol. It's more than just wearing a sweatshirt when it's 70 degrees. At this point it seems narcissistic to decide to go to a place like storyland but then throw on a mask. What good is a cloth mask outdoors and what is it going to do at this point? It reminds me of being on the train and seeing Asian people wearing a mask pre covid. Id be like ok are you sick ? Let me move away from you and you should have stayed home. If you're that paranoid about getting sick you should just stay home. At the end of the day I'm not losing sleep over this but it seems stupid to bother going to an amusement park if you feel the need to wear a mask. If someone is so afraid of being around others why not just stay home ?

Different strokes for different folks. Hong Kong for instance was hit hard by SARS back in 2003 and ever since then, there are still people who wear masks when going out in public. I know that because I last visited HK in 2011 and bus drivers, taxi drivers, cleaners, and other service people who have to interact frequently with the public, all of them continue to wear surgical masks some seven years after the epidemic subsided. I did not follow their example then but respected their choice because I understood the anxiety they were feeling. I've also had past friends and acquaintances from cultures that prohibited unrelated individuals from standing too close to each other or touching each other, especially if they're of the opposite gender. You may find such customs strange if you only follow Western culture but you have to learn to respect and understand where such folks are coming from. Now I mask up anytime I go to an indoors public place or even into a crowded outdoor place with lots of people like Downtown Boston. If I see someone else masked up, I'd like to give them an imaginary hi-fi and say "we're all in this bro!". The government doesn't need to tell me to put on my mask. It's like putting on my wristwatch every time I go out or when I return to the office, my necktie. No one's going to criticize my mask wearing and if they do, I don't care. No one gets to be the judge of me but myself.

Old 08-03-2021, 06:38 PM

6,125 posts, read 5,095,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Not sure of any of you folks have noticed it, but I’ve been seeing more and more folks masking up inside stores even if not required.

I was at Home Depot in Reading this afternoon and strangely enough there weren’t a whole lot of people without masks. My office building has rescinded its mask policy, but most people are wearing them anyway.
And my workplace (in Middlesex County) just restarted our mask mandate today!

Old 08-03-2021, 06:47 PM

17,715 posts, read 9,181,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
If the Israeli data is at all accurate and Pfizer has 39% efficacy against Delta, I think it’s beyond “not so sure about”.
I agree, Geoff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Something has certainly shifted in the past week. I know a lot of people (10+) who have shared on social media that they currently have either vaccine breakthrough COVID or have COVID for a second time. In both sets of cases, they're pretty mild cases, but it's still enough to be very concerned.
Are the 10+ people from the same area and/or connected to each other?

Old 08-03-2021, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Are the 10+ people from the same area and/or connected to each other?

Nope! One in Syracuse who was part of the Pfizer trials last fall so she's almost a year out. Her husband's office had a big outbreak and she thinks she got it from an after-work outing with them. Her husband was one of the few who didn't get it and is both vaccinated and had covid early on in the pandemic.

A few are in the Boston metro (one coworker) and the rest are people in Georgia, Florida, Maine, and Arizona. No connection and most don't seem to know who they might have gotten it from.

The good news is that all of this very anecdotal sample group have very mild symptoms, if any at all. At least two, including my coworker, discovered it from routine testing at work.

Old 08-03-2021, 09:13 PM

5,958 posts, read 2,875,868 times
Someone testing for Covid after having both shots but with just a mild case .
Must be the same as being on the pill and just being a little pregnant.

Old 08-03-2021, 09:48 PM

23,548 posts, read 18,693,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
I have doubts about a third dose really being that helpful. What you really need is a multivariant vaccine.

Dude, they are saying the 3rd dose could increase protection against the Delta five-fold (11-fold in those over 65).

Old 08-03-2021, 09:49 PM

23,548 posts, read 18,693,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
Someone testing for Covid after having both shots but with just a mild case .
Must be the same as being on the pill and just being a little pregnant.

So pregnancy is a virus now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts