Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2012, 04:58 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times

Advertisements

Amazing morning temperatures! Practically 50 near the coast and 40s widespread.

Nothing really to talk about... all those events I mentioned last week seem to be rain. Polar air just not filtering down. Warm air winning.

More rain in 2 days

The 1st and 6th are 2 big seperate storms which look like rain right now. Latest data has it at snow, so we'll see.

Enjoy the weather, people should be thrilled living up this way, we rarely get anything and temps are so hard to get below freezing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 05:24 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
I don't know if everywhere in the Tri-State area will lose their snow cover even after 50 - 55 F on Tuesday. As of right now , about 40% of the snowcover is gone on the shoreline. Current temp is 48.7 F. I think the NW Hills of CT or NW NJ will keep some snow cover maybe. Still, the days are getting longer now and the angle of the sun gets higher everyday. So it will be a foot race to keep snow on the ground it seems.
Our snow cover in Branford is pretty much gone except for the piles on the sides of the road.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:12 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,363,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Our snow cover in Branford is pretty much gone except for the piles on the sides of the road.
Yea, here too in the Westbrook /Saybrook/Lyme area. About 90% of the snow melted last night. There are just a few patches here and there. I wonder about upstate though? (Hartford/Waterbury).

I guess I was wrong. I didn’t think last night would be so warm, and with the rain and fog, it really vaporized the snow. The wind was off the ocean last night for 8 hours and sea-surface temps are still pretty warm out there – about 50 F south of Long Island. No way the snow can survive that. One of the reasons I live at the coast I guess -lol. Today with sunshine and temps 50 – 55 F should finish off whatever snow is left. As far as the next 7 days, things look quiet. High temps should be in the 40’s this week , with sunshine today/Wed/Thur – then showers will move in Thur night/Fri morning, followed by dry weather and seasonable temps this weekend.

Then we head into the final month of meteorological winter 2011/2012. As a warm weather fan I really can’t complain, this winter has been easy.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:00 AM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
NH is having one of the warmest November to January periods on record. November and December were both in the top few spots for warmest ever and January continues to run well above average. It has just been a disgusting winter for those that rely on snow for income. We can't even get a decent snowpack on the ground for more than a few days at a time before another huge warm surge comes in. I'm hoping the pattern starts to flip with the AO tanking, but way too early to tell based on how the winter has gone so far.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:29 AM

Biggest solar storm since 2005 happening.

Solar storms are rated from G1 to G5 with G5 being the strongest. Todays storm is forecasted to reach G2 in strength with isolated G3 strength in the higher latitudes. A G3 storm could potentially cause some disruptions to the power grid,

NOAA's Space Weather Prediction Center reports Sunday’s blast from the sun blew by NASA’s near-Earth ACE satellite at 9:30 a.m. EST today. Minor geomagnetic storming has begun and is likely to continue through the day into tonight, EST. Impacts are likely too minor to be noticed by general public, but operators of navigation, power grids, satellites systems, may be taking action to prevent or mitigate temporary problems. Aurora may be visible from parts of Europe, Asia, northern United States. OVATION Aurora

http://www.theweatherspace.com/news/...radiation.html

Old 01-24-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
NH is having one of the warmest November to January periods on record. November and December were both in the top few spots for warmest ever and January continues to run well above average. It has just been a disgusting winter for those that rely on snow for income. We can't even get a decent snowpack on the ground for more than a few days at a time before another huge warm surge comes in. I'm hoping the pattern starts to flip with the AO tanking, but way too early to tell based on how the winter has gone so far.
Also the fact that the NAO was "showing" and "projected" to tank into negative territory now showing to stay neutral and positive.. Doesnt mean we cant get more snow but like you said, snow comes, snow goes. Cold comes in, cold goes out.

Current Lunch Time temps January 24, 2012.

Valleys and coast in 50s.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:55 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Biggest solar storm since 2005 happening.

Solar storms are rated from G1 to G5 with G5 being the strongest. Todays storm is forecasted to reach G2 in strength with isolated G3 strength in the higher latitudes. A G3 storm could potentially cause some disruptions to the power grid,
A coworker from Milford lost power today - could this be why?

Old 01-24-2012, 10:56 AM

1,607 posts, read 3,090,847 times
I am in glastonbury, snow on roof all gone, on lawn almost gone
Only place there is substantial snow left is where the plows piled it up, and that is melting fast. I am on my deck in a tshirt and jeans and am comfortable. Amazing winter so far

Old 01-24-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
A coworker from Milford lost power today - could this be why?
Its possible, I heard some other reports of power outages too. My cell phone isnt sending emails or multimedia messages, I wonder if that has something to do with it. We probably wont notice the effects but its definetley hitting Earths magnetic field.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:45 AM

I started a thread on it. Apparently Planes are flying lower at the Higher Latitudes because of it.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/weath...ry-2012-a.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut