Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2011, 09:02 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,363,775 times

Advertisements

Thank god we have the National Weather Service to give us "real " forecasts":

NWS New York, NY
Point Forecast: New Haven CT
41.31°N 72.92°W

Friday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 50. Southwest wind between 7 and 14 mph.

Friday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 34. West wind between 9 and 14 mph.

Saturday: Partly sunny, with a high near 44.

Saturday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 24.

Sunday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 41.

Monday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 45.

Tuesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 46.

Wednesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 46.

Thursday: Partly sunny, with a high near 46.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...=272&map.y=135
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 09:03 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Thank god we have the National Weather Service to give us "real " forecasts":

NWS New York, NY
Point Forecast: New Haven CT
41.31°N 72.92°W

Friday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 50. Southwest wind between 7 and 14 mph.

Friday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 34. West wind between 9 and 14 mph.

Saturday: Partly sunny, with a high near 44.

Saturday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 24.

Sunday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 41.

Monday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 45.

Tuesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 46.

Wednesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 46.

Thursday: Partly sunny, with a high near 46.

7-Day Forecast for Latitude 41.31°N and Longitude 72.92°W

Looks pretty normal to me for December..nice cool days and nights...what it should be.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:06 PM

...and sunshine and zero snow for the next 8 to 12 days. Perfect!

Old 12-09-2011, 06:10 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,900,631 times
I for one am glad we aren't supposed to get much snow in December. If we only get some flurries on Christmas Eve I'd be satisfied for the month. The only prediction I've seen so far for winter is for normal or less than normal snowfall, other than the Farmer Almanac's raving. My poor plants are so confused by the warmer than normal temps, last week my forsythia was blooming, and the crocuses were popping up. With any luck we'll have an early spring, say February, and they can resume their blooming.

I can remember some years having snow on the ground from late November on. It's enjoyable for all of five minutes while cutting down the Christmas tree, but that's about it. Hopefully any snow we get this winter will quickly melt.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:59 AM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Here you go folks... You decide. You can only hype one way until it catches up to you. Here's both sides of the equation with data to back it up.

The ultimate question is... Do you believe the GFS(which has turned) OR... The Euro (which continues to stay warm)

In this video he shows both and that one has warm coming to East, the other has a Cold trough.

Pauls Long Range Dec. 2011 - YouTube

Here's your favorite guy JB which provides back up for his claim.

Dec 9 Atmospheric Avenger - YouTube

Its much easier for me to sit here and just discuss whats currently happening then go into future events BECAUSE NOBODY KNOWS.

But My thoughts have been the same since October. Flip Flops with cold coming in and going back out. Storms moving fast West to East. Nothing sustained until after Holidays. Slow pattern change which is clearly happening right now. Blocking develops after Jan. 15th. We stay average for December meaning Sharp cold shots but a warm up afterwards. After Holidays we stay colder longer with the warm shots leaving quicker. Snow will happen if timing is right (just like October). I think we see slightly below average snow amounts which means 19-23" for coast. 35-40" for interior.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I for one am glad we aren't supposed to get much snow in December. If we only get some flurries on Christmas Eve I'd be satisfied for the month. The only prediction I've seen so far for winter is for normal or less than normal snowfall, other than the Farmer Almanac's raving. My poor plants are so confused by the warmer than normal temps, last week my forsythia was blooming, and the crocuses were popping up. With any luck we'll have an early spring, say February, and they can resume their blooming.

I can remember some years having snow on the ground from late November on. It's enjoyable for all of five minutes while cutting down the Christmas tree, but that's about it. Hopefully any snow we get this winter will quickly melt.
Agreed, I really think a mild winter has a lot of benefits. Also, a sunny and warm December like we have been having helps make December (which is the time when the sun is lowest in the sky and the cloudiest month of the year on average)… pass quickly. Think about it, because of the recent sunshine and mild temps it seems like December is flying by. In just two weeks or so…. 33% of meteorological winter 2011/2012 is already over. The pattern looks to stay dry, sunny, and mild on the East Coast at least for the next 10 days. A green XMASS is typical on the Connecticut coast anyway, so I could care less.

As far as the plants, yes the forsythia was blooming down here on the coast as well, and my lawn is really green. Someone told me roses are blooming in New Haven. Are you into gardening? I have a lot of evergreens planted here on the eastern Connecticut coast. They love all this sunny and warm weather in winter. I shot this pic of my bamboo garden this morning with the sun coming though it, a nice green pic for mid December in the Tri-State area. :

If this weekend stays nice, I'm heading to Cape May, NJ to see the historic city and beach!

Old 12-09-2011, 09:35 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,900,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post

As far as the plants, yes the forsythia was blooming down here on the coast as well, and my lawn is really green. Someone told me roses are blooming in New Haven. Are you into gardening?

Nice pic! Yes, I have numerous perennials and gardens. I have had roses blooming around my pond the past month, but the recent rain knocked the petals off into the water. Our grass is nice and green, in fact, I was watching the deer this morning, and it looked like they were actually eating it.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
Nice pic! Yes, I have numerous perennials and gardens. I have had roses blooming around my pond the past month, but the recent rain knocked the petals off into the water. Our grass is nice and green, in fact, I was watching the deer this morning, and it looked like they were actually eating it.
Yes, roses can be quite tender in the wind and rain. I like evergreen plants the most, and use them quite extensively in my garden. Weather wise today was a little warmer and more above normal than yesterday up and down the East Coast. The cold seems locked in over the upper Midwest and in the central USA, while we get the milder air on the East Coast: Yesterday, NWS Bridgeport hit 47 F….NWS Central Park hit 45 F…and NWS Savannah hit 56 F. Today the highest temps seem to be 52 F at NWS Bridgeport….51 at NWS Central Park, and 70 F in Savannah. So up and down the coast temps were warmer than yesterday:

Otherwise, we seem in a nice pattern of semi – mild temps (considering its winter), dry, and sunny at least up to the 18 -20 th or so. Our lawns and gardens should love it

Old 12-09-2011, 03:02 PM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
The hype can go both ways I guess...here's Accuweathers hype. LOL

Story: A Stormy Week Before Christmas Possible (http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/a-stormy-week-before-christmas%5b/58851 - broken link)

Old 12-09-2011, 05:04 PM

A week from now...the pattern looks to be unchanged....cold stays in the Upper Midwest with highs in the 20's....50's in the middle of the USA...and 60's and 70's in the subtopical Gulf and South Atlantic. I wish I was in Miami, but I'll take the Tri-State I guess :

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut