Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2012, 02:22 PM

6,132 posts, read 5,103,250 times

Advertisements

Cambium, mention of snow now in the NWS Sat night/Sunday forecast for Hartford area? anything brewing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 02:36 PM

83,520 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajmelk View Post
Cambium, mention of snow now in the NWS Sat night/Sunday forecast for Hartford area? anything brewing?
Developing low from south exiting north Carolina and OTS had shifted north in last few runs. Euro model has it closer to coast which would bring snow to area. Same spots that saw snow this past Saturday would see it again. But because there's no agreement and because warm is the trend its risky to even say snow yet.

Old 01-24-2012, 04:13 PM

Lets look at something totally off the mark that a model showed for February 4th.

This would be a HECS (Historic East Coast Storm) 965mb Low over Vermont?

Latest models have it OTS and not as strong.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:48 AM

Rain Thursday Night & Friday but weekend should be dry. Majority of models show the system staying OTS Sunday so should be a nice dry cooler weekend. Dont be surprised to see a few flurries Thursday before the rain and Sunday.

Old 01-25-2012, 05:46 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,892,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Rain Thursday Night & Friday but weekend should be dry. Majority of models show the system staying OTS Sunday so should be a nice dry cooler weekend. Dont be surprised to see a few flurries Thursday before the rain and Sunday.
Even the "15-day long range" (which I don't trust too much) that Accu-Weather posts shows no snow (I think it goes through Feb. 7).

Old 01-25-2012, 08:41 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,365,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Even the "15-day long range" (which I don't trust too much) that Accu-Weather posts shows no snow (I think it goes through Feb. 7).
Yes, I took a peak myself, seems that the NAO will stay positive for the next two weeks at least. I think after mid Feb, the door will really start closing on this winter, at least in out area. The other thing I noticed is that when I get up and hit the road, the sun is rising earlier every day. I have a great view across the coastal marshes as I drive to work. The sun was up this morning at 7:15. It may still be cold, but that increasing solar angle helps. With the ground now bare again, the sun will help the ground get a little wamer each day.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:05 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,426,924 times
Smile I spotted a flock of robins in East Haven Jan. 24

I took a long walk yesterday, since it was so sunny and warm (by January standards anyway). I passed by what in our area is known as the Shoreline Greenway Trail, which will eventually be a 25-mile path from Madison to New Haven. This is the place I always see my first robins, usually late in Feb. Yesterday there was a large group of them there, enjoying the warm weather, eating berries, singing. So maybe it is a good omen! Hope so.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:31 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,164,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Yes, I took a peak myself, seems that the NAO will stay positive for the next two weeks at least. I think after mid Feb, the door will really start closing on this winter, at least in out area. The other thing I noticed is that when I get up and hit the road, the sun is rising earlier every day. I have a great view across the coastal marshes as I drive to work. The sun was up this morning at 7:15. It may still be cold, but that increasing solar angle helps. With the ground now bare again, the sun will help the ground get a little wamer each day.
Man you love talking about the same stuff over and over and over....oy. I mean how many more times can you say the sun angle is higher in February?

Old 01-25-2012, 05:40 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,365,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree2011 View Post
I took a long walk yesterday, since it was so sunny and warm (by January standards anyway). I passed by what in our area is known as the Shoreline Greenway Trail, which will eventually be a 25-mile path from Madison to New Haven. This is the place I always see my first robins, usually late in Feb. Yesterday there was a large group of them there, enjoying the warm weather, eating berries, singing. So maybe it is a good omen! Hope so.
Yes, I was out too, yesterday was in the middle 50's F. You can just feel the sun geting stronger now. I live along the coast east of New Haven and I’m really excited about SGT as well...I hope they get alot of work done this spring and summer. When completed the SGT will run from Lighthouse Point to Hammonasset State Beach through the coastal lowlands and up medows. As you already must know, -the SGT already has some nice views in Madison. I’m a bit further east, near the mouth of the Connecticut River (Saybrook/Lymes). We have a lot of pathways through the low country and marsh areas. We always get excited in very late February when the Great Blue Heron returns. This winter has been very mild, so I think we should see them in a few weeks. For us down on the southeast Connecticut coast - the return of the Great Heron is a sure sign winter is over.

Last edited by wavehunter007; 01-25-2012 at 06:37 PM..

Old 01-25-2012, 07:03 PM

Since we're getting an inch of rain Thursday Night-Friday lets recap 2011.

With an annual average of 55.14 inches, the Northeast had its wettest year in 117 years. Among the states, Connecticut, New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania saw their wettest year since 1895 while Vermont and Pennsylvania tallied their 2nd wettest year on record. At the local level, fourteen of the region's first order stations had their wettest year on record with the majority experiencing one of the top 10 all-time wettest years. Binghamton, NY's 2011 precipitation total was 18.27 inches greater than their previous record year, 2006; Albany's longstanding annual precipitation record, set in 1878, was finally topped in 2011.

Home :: Northeast Regional Climate Center#
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut