Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2011, 06:36 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,897,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Well... these cold shots of air will be quick and temporary... I see average and above average temps for most of October after this weekend.

Indian summer in the fall.

I still say snow on green mountains and adk this weekend. Warm until end of November. Average until January. We will have a 2nd half winter this year unlike the 1st half like last year.
Now that's what I'm talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 02:36 PM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Quote:
Looking at the latest... No question in my mind that some mountains will see snow this coming weekend.
Posted 1 week before it will happen... Here's the text product from KBTV.

Anyone going to Vermont this weekend? Should make for some pretty pictures looking up at the mountains.

.LONG TERM /SATURDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY/...
-- Changed Discussion --AS OF 350 PM EDT WEDNESDAY...UPPER LEVEL LOW WILL CONTINUE TO
TRACK ACROSS OUR FORECAST AREA ON SATURDAY...THEREFORE SCATTERED
SHOWERS CONTINUE THROUGH THE DAY AND END DURING THE OVERNIGHT
HOURS SATURDAY NIGHT. COLDER AIR ALOFT WILL MOVE IN ON SATURDAY
AND IT APPEARS THAT SNOW LEVELS WILL LIKELY DROP TO AROUND 2000
OR 2500 FEET LATER ON SATURDAY. THUS ANY SHOWERS IN THE MOUNTAINS
WOULD BE IN THE FORM OF SNOW. HOWEVER...NO ACCUMULATIONS ARE
EXPECTED.

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=BTV&product=AFD&form at=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

Old 09-28-2011, 06:34 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,361,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
Now that's what I'm talking about.
If your looking for indian summer....you might get your wish next week!

Old 09-29-2011, 04:57 AM

SINCE JAN 1 for Bridgeport, CT, 46.57" of liquid precipitation has fallen....compared to the 32.12" normally.. That is insane! And we have 3 months left still.

Maybe they should eliminate 1990s too so our normal rainfall is 10" a year.

All this rain can be normal based on climate for this area but if we continue to just use 30 years we'll never know.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:13 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,361,630 times
Quote:
SINCE JAN 1 for Bridgeport, CT, 46.57" of liquid precipitation has fallen....compared to the 32.12" normally.. That is insane! And we have 3 months left still.

Maybe they should eliminate 1990s too so our normal rainfall is 10" a year.

All this rain can be normal based on climate for this area but if we continue to just use 30 years we'll never know.
Yes, precip is well above normal at this point in the year. Keep in mind that this mostly due to the deep southerly flow from the tropics since late May. It seems like it’s all about wind direction = northerly (continental/dry) or southerly (tropical/wet).

If you start in January of this year and look at the departures from normal for precip (+ or -) for the year so far... you’ll notice that June, August, and September had close to double the normal amount of rainfall. Whenever the prevailing winds in the summer come out of a southerly direction more often than normal on the East Coast …we get a lot of sultry heat/rain/humidity/high dew points…etc. Despite what most people think – there IS a monsoon in the far eastern USA. In a lot of ways the southerly flow (from off the tropical Atlantic/Gulf or Mexico) is really our version of the East Asian monsoon, the only difference is that our flow is not nearly as steady (in terms of summer prevailing winds) or as precipitous as the East Asian monsoon.

One other note: Unless I’m missing something (like a another data source)….NWS Bridgeport is 0.2 F away from having its warmest September since 1948 (63 years):

SEPTEMBER CLIMATE SUMMARY - BRIDGEPORT CT

As of today, the Sept monthly mean temp at NWS Bridgeport stands at 70. 2 F…just 0.2 F shy of the 63 year record. I’m surprised that NWS Bridgeport is so close to the monthly record because NWS Central Park’s current monthly mean temp is not even in the top 10 (right now 70. 9 F). Even if NWS Bridgeport fails to get the record, I would guess they have had a top 5 warmest Sept since 1948.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:03 AM

Theres a nasty cell in NJ right now heading in direction of Westchester...Warnings are out for the 5 Boroughs

Old 09-30-2011, 08:48 PM

Ok... Lets chat...

3 things:

1. Is the Atlantic Ocean falling on us? How much more rain can we get? More tonight. Does anyone have the precip per year stat? How does this year compare to others.

2. Cooler air coming and snows in higher elevations in WV, PA and NY and probably new England..Light stuff of course.

You see all the L's?(lol) those are the disturbances that will bring us rain tonight and tomorrow. Scattered stuff but the Blue line (Cold Front) over PA and NY right now will pass through and the High pressure will bring Fall like temps and dry air. ALSO Winds will pick up as the High Pressure approaches.

3. Something I'm not liking to see. A huge system in the Atlantic that moves West into New England. This would be a Nor'Easter around October 10th. I'll have to see if this keeps popping up but the pattern is favoring it unfortunetly. This particular run shows over 7" of rain and winds to 50mph

Old 10-01-2011, 05:43 AM

58.95 INCHES OF RAIN AND WATER EQUIVALENT HAS FALLEN AT CENTRAL PARK FROM JANUARY 1 THROUGH SEPTEMBER 29...MAKING 2011 THE EIGHTH WETTEST YEAR RECORDED AT CENTRAL PARK. THIS IS 21.59 INCHES ABOVE NORMAL

So I uploaded the data from http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/okx/climate/records/monthannualpcpn.html

Sorted by wettest years...

So if we get no more rain till end of year we'll be in the 8th wettest. Something tells me we'll be in the Top 3 wettest years this year

To get into the Top 3 we need little over 6" of rain next 3 months.

http://forecast.weather.gov/product....KX&product=PNS

Old 10-01-2011, 05:14 PM

11,295 posts, read 18,882,521 times
Quote:
58.95 INCHES OF RAIN AND WATER EQUIVALENT HAS FALLEN AT CENTRAL PARK FROM JANUARY 1 THROUGH SEPTEMBER 29...MAKING 2011 THE EIGHTH WETTEST YEAR RECORDED AT CENTRAL PARK. THIS IS 21.59 INCHES ABOVE NORMAL

So I uploaded the data from http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/okx/climate/records/monthannualpcpn.html

Sorted by wettest years...

So if we get no more rain till end of year we'll be in the 8th wettest. Something tells me we'll be in the Top 3 wettest years this year

To get into the Top 3 we need little over 6" of rain next 3 months.

National Weather Service Text Product Display
The way we've been going I'm thinking barring a major pattern change we'll end up #2. Getting another 20" will be tough so I don't think #1, but another 7-8" (1.01" was added last night to the total in your post) isn't unlikely.

Old 10-01-2011, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
The way we've been going I'm thinking barring a major pattern change we'll end up #2. Getting another 20" will be tough so I don't think #1, but another 7-8" (1.01" was added last night to the total in your post) isn't unlikely.
Oh..When I posted that we were 8th wettest... We just jumped to 7th wettest with last nights and this mornings rain...

#3 here we come. Gees.

Side note: I have a nice list of places that are seeing snow October 1st...including parts of upstate NY and West Virginia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut