Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2012, 12:31 PM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I just signed up for WTNH weather alerts, but I will probably sleep through any nighttime texts!
Not familiar with WTHN text alerts but test them out. Hopefully they are reliable and quick to send it.

I would use one of these below or an addition to that. They send one as soon as NWS issues it.

You can sleep through winter advisorys & fog alerts, but if you see a post in here that says "Severe Storms Tonight" then at least you have a heads up and hopefully the alert wakes u.

You dont need an iphone or Internet, you just need a phone number and a cell phone capable of texting(which most do nowadays)

The Weather Channel Text Alerts (not for Sprint subscribers)Text Messaging

Accuweather Email alert(if you have a smart phone you'll get the email alert on there)
AccuWeather.com Alerts™ Email (http://www.accuweather.com/alerts/index.asp - broken link)

USA Weather Text Alerts
weatherUSA - Free Weather Alerts for Text Message and E-mail

Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 05:22 AM

Posted 2/26/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Correct, another system 4 days after. Looks like another strong cold front with the same exact main storm track going towards Great Lakes. Starts as light snow, turns to rain, back to snow as front passes.

The one on the 8th looks more interesting then this weekend. But like you said...lets get through mid Week first.
Posted 2/28/12
Quote:
After this next storm.
Heavy Rain & warm on Saturday as another cold front sweeps through at night.

Then a Weak Clipper comes down from Lakes spreads 1-3" as far south as Mid Atlantic Sunday. Could actualy miss us and hit them with snow.

9th still on the maps. Looks interesting again.
Its back in the picture but looks more of a north of state border deal. Litchfield County might see some action. What I always liked about this date was the strength of the trough, the moisture associated with it, and the way it goes negative tilted. If it can go negative before the storm, then its a whole nother ballgame with snow for us.

Here's Euro 6 hour snow total for March 9th. Just an inch for NW corner. A shift south and .... you know how it goes.
MA, NH, VT, and Maine get a good snowstorm.

Like I said...we're in a November/December pattern but a litle too late for our lattitude.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:03 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,361,630 times
It looks like today will be the last day with any chance of rain for a while in the Tri-State area. Also, will Mon/Tue be the last days we see highs in the 40’s in the Tri-State/Middle Atlantic area until November?. It is looking that way more and more. I would think anything frozon on March 9th, will be well north of CT/NYC/NJ based on highs in the 60's that day;

After showers pass through today, the cold front will passe through, then it will be cooler with highs in the low/mid 40’s in the Tri-State area on Mon/Tue. After that, the southerly flow will really surge in…and what looks like a very dry and increasing warmer pattern will dominate the weather for much of the region.

WC just updated their forecast highs map…just as I guessed, they upped their highs this week into the mid 60’s F for the Tri-State area. If this is correct, we should see highs late this week around 65 F in Hartford, New Haven, Stamford, NYC, and Trenton….and Washington DC will see 70 F or better. Even out to mid month on the 13th, (as far out as their temp maps go)… there seem to be no days with highs under 50 F:

MONDAY:

WED/THUR/FRI:

The long term forecast for March 13th:

Old 03-04-2012, 07:10 AM

Check this out. The snowhole continues for our area. We will have clear or cloudy skies while its snowing north and south of us. lol

Places that got hit with Tornado will see snow tomorrow. Can you believe it? Snow south of us?

Old 03-04-2012, 09:01 AM

633 posts, read 1,644,572 times
^ you think the earth must of flip on the other side so the south becoming north while we being the south LOL

Old 03-04-2012, 09:10 AM

11,295 posts, read 18,882,521 times
Quote:
Check this out. The snowhole continues for our area. We will have clear or cloudy skies while its snowing north and south of us. lol

Places that got hit with Tornado will see snow tomorrow. Can you believe it? Snow south of us?

It's very much like the 1979-80 winter. Only 9" total in NYC (and an October snowfall there and in CT!) but 40+" in Norfolk, VA (I believe still the record!). What goes around comes around......

Wavehunter, while you are correct about the upping of the highs for Thursday (Accuweather even thinks 70 may be possible in the tri-state), I don't think we are done with highs under 50 (I do think more days this month will have highs over 50 than under though, but that makes sense because all of CT has average highs for the month of 45-50). In fact NWS is showing mid-upper 40s for next weekend. There are lots of years where March is warm but the 3rd or 4th week has a brief "cold wave" of a day or two in the 40s.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:53 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,095,154 times
Agree...a bit too much spin doctoring. Both NWS and TWC show 40s for highs in Hartford area next weekend.

Last edited by JayCT; 03-04-2012 at 06:20 PM.. Reason: removed deleted quote

Old 03-04-2012, 09:59 AM

633 posts, read 1,644,572 times
We went up to 70 degree near the end of march last year... it's possible

Old 03-04-2012, 04:44 PM

308 posts, read 680,057 times
There should be a thread that is exclusive to those of us who are snow/cold lovers. That would resolve the ongoing conflict between the cold and heat meisers since we have irreconcilable differences. Either that or perhaps wavehunter should be banned from this thread since he doesnt play nicely with everyone else. As a snow lover there is no denying that this winter sucked. However, as a snow fan I cant complain since we just came off two consecutive blockbuster winters with exceptionally high snowfall totals and several major snowstorms which I thoroughly enjoyed. I guess we became spoiled. I am sure that next winter will only be better than this one and I am already counting the days to December. I will also enjoy the lovely warm months ahead.

Old 03-04-2012, 04:55 PM

308 posts, read 680,057 times
We certainly won the 2 preceding winters incase you forgot. You didnt have much to say then did you? I'm sure there will be payback next winter. You and wavehunter may want to spend next winter in Florida. Counting the days to next December.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arm&Hammer View Post
Those winter lover folks really thought the cold winter weather going to win
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut