Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2011, 10:07 AM

56 posts, read 172,803 times

Advertisements

I am still new to this area. Only been here for about 7 months and this is our first summer here. I was wondering about the thunder storms here in CT. Is the threat of tornado always come up whenever there is a severe thunderstorm?

thanks for your time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 10:33 AM

754 posts, read 1,017,845 times
tornados are very rare in CT but do happen on occasion. however we had 1 in bristol last summer which was pretty bad.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:23 AM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmary View Post
I am still new to this area. Only been here for about 7 months and this is our first summer here. I was wondering about the thunder storms here in CT. Is the threat of tornado always come up whenever there is a severe thunderstorm?

thanks for your time
Hi Nightmary. No, Tornado threats do not come up with every thunderstorm. Only when ingrediants are in place. Last week they were and thats why there was a watch issued. Massachusetts had a rare EF3 and 2 EF1s that day.

Tomorrow we will have a classic squall line come through (after5pm). Its with a cold front thats sweeping down. Expect intense storms but the chances are slim for a Tornado tomorrow here.

There will be isolated pop up storms today...meaning it can happen anytime, any town.. All it takes is 30 minutes for a supercell to form.

The best thing to do is keep checking back here OR sign up for text alerts that go right to your phone. Through accuweather, The Weather Channel (the best one) or another 3rd party source.

Edit: Bridgeport had a Tornado last year too...CT averages about 1.3 per year believe it or not.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:40 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,419,192 times
Usually tornadoes in CT are of the variety where they have to send the National Weather Service out to even determine if it was a tornado because we don't get big ones (usually) like what happened in Springfield. Tornadoes are pretty rare here, hence our lack of sirens.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:43 PM

If anyone is camping on a mountain or has a clear view in the distance, you might see Auroras.

The sun shot a massive fireball yesterday morning travelling at the speed of 3.1 Million MPH towards earth.

The solar flare shock wave reached Earth today a few hours ago. It will be followed by a disturbance in the solar wind that should produce fairly extensive auroral displays for next 24hrs.

It will be visible overhead north of Canada border & visible low on the horizon from Seattle, Des Moines, Chicago, Cleveland, Boston, and Halifax. See link for more details. Aurora Forecast | Geophysical Institute

Please post pics or videos if you experience them.

Link to Solar Flare Story: http://www.space.com/11893-huge-sun-eruption-spectacular-solar-flare.html.

Old 06-08-2011, 03:17 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
I'm melting. If you see a puddle on your way home, that's me. Or, rather, that used to be me.

Old 06-08-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I'm melting. If you see a puddle on your way home, that's me. Or, rather, that used to be me.
You're not the only one melting.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:18 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,413,020 times
Hell I'm loving it! My wife & I just got back in from kayaking around the Norwalk Islands, beautiful breeze & the water was very clear on the north side of Chimmons island where we went swimming. I MIGHT complain after a couple more weeks but right now, I'm still glad it stopped snowing.
I would be posting pictures by my camera crapped out on me. Its been years since I went out there in anything but a motorboat, as a kid I did alot of sailing with a sunfish & other small boats, I'd forgotten how peacefull it can be when you dont have 120 2 stroke horsepower on the transome.
Anyway if I can escape from work we'll be going again later in the week & I might have a camera by then. If the heat starts bugging you just look at a pic from mid Feb.

Old 06-08-2011, 05:05 PM

Litchfield, Hartford, Tolland, Windham need to watch the radar. Storms that produced damaging winds and hail in NY are heading towards Northern CT. Currently there are T-Storm watches in those counties. Even Springfield, MA needs to stay tuned again.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:03 PM

Canaan, CT and NorthWest CT need to be on Alert NOW!

Hail up to 1 inch possible, intense lightning and downpours. Entering Canaan in few minutes.,.. Torrington is next if it holds
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut