Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2011, 06:11 PM

83,540 posts, read 75,390,209 times

Advertisements

Someone tried to take a pic!!

DEP: Big cat seen in Greenwich likely mountain lion - GreenwichTime

Edit:: ooops, sorry, wrong thread. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 06:14 PM

If storm holds its speed and direction Torrington will feel the effects of it at 8:40!

Old 06-08-2011, 07:50 PM

* severe thunderstorm warning for...
New london county in southern connecticut...
New haven county in southern connecticut...
Middlesex county in southern connecticut...
* until 1030 pm edt...

* at 928 pm edt...national weather service doppler radar indicated
a developing line of severe thunderstorms capable of producing
quarter size hail...and damaging winds in excess of 60 mph.

These storms were located along a line extending from 13 miles
north of east hampton to 7 miles northwest of cromwell to 9 miles
northeast of wolcott to 13 miles northwest of wolcott to 21 miles
northwest of southbury...or along a line extending from manchester
to newington to new britain to 9 miles south of torrington to 12
miles north of new milford...and moving southeast at 40 mph.

* other locations in the warning include but are not limited to
lebanon...portland...middletown...colchester...mer iden...
Waterbury...norwich...salem...east haddam...durham...naugatuck...
Cheshire...preston...beacon falls...seymour...gales ferry...north
lyme...ledyard center...derby...voluntown...wallingford...
Chester...orange...milford...hamden...new london...waterford...
North haven...new haven...groton...killingworth...westbrook...old
saybrook...old lyme...north madison...north brandford...mystic...
Guilford...clinton and branford

Old 06-09-2011, 04:27 AM

11,305 posts, read 18,902,516 times
Quite a few school districts in CT are closing early today due to the heat and the lack of A/C in their schools (a few did yesterday as well, Danbury and some Litchfield County and Hartford area districts come to mind).

Old 06-09-2011, 05:32 AM

I heard Connecticut had some vivid lightning and nasty storms rolling through all night.

This morning there is hail ALREADY near Willmantic northEast of Norwich.

KEEP YOUR EYES AND EARS OPEN TODAY! Even if you're in a store and the skies turn black, notice the direction its coming from and know it could take 10 minutes to get to your location. Download a weather app to your phone and look at the radar to determine how much time you have. DONT GET CAUGHT!!

Old 06-09-2011, 06:04 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,156,263 times
Yup, it was pretty nasty here. First in late evening (8-9pm), then again around 2am. I was awake at 2am and ven though I saw that vivid lightning, when a big boom of thunder hit, I still I jumped so high that almost fell out of bed.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:21 AM

56 posts, read 172,960 times
Default thanks

Thanks to everyone for the replies. We had lots of lighting here last night. The thunder was not to bad but it was like a light show outside with so many lighting strikes. I got up at 1:18 to make sure all the electrical was unplugged/turned off because of all the crazy lighting.
Not sure that I am a fan of these kinds of severe thunder storms, at least in my old home town we never had to worry about a tornado. I am not use to having to monitor the weather so much. I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion on what is the best weather app for Iphone?

Thanks

Old 06-09-2011, 07:13 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,425,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmary View Post
I am not use to having to monitor the weather so much. I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion on what is the best weather app for Iphone?
Honestly, we get thunderstorms sometimes in the summer. They rarely cause tornadoes, and as stated above, if they do they are not anything like Springfield recently experienced. All you need to do is be aware of the weather forecast. If they forecast potentially strong storms (like this afternoon), just check the weather online and see if any warnings or watches go up. Usually the severe stuff dies out over Connecticut because of the stable marine climate, just like lake effect snow from the Great Lakes dies out over eastern NY as it approaches Connecticut. On days like today where a cold front is moving into a hot humid air mass, check the radar this afternoon. I keep an animated radar from Wunderground.com bookmarked on my phone. If things look ugly, I just look at the radar to see what's going on.

Believe me, I hate thunderstorms and even I think what we get every summer is no big deal.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:30 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,368,638 times
Quote:
Thanks to everyone for the replies. We had lots of lighting here last night. The thunder was not to bad but it was like a light show outside with so many lighting strikes. I got up at 1:18 to make sure all the electrical was unplugged/turned off because of all the crazy lighting.
Not sure that I am a fan of these kinds of severe thunder storms, at least in my old home town we never had to worry about a tornado. I am not use to having to monitor the weather so much. I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion on what is the best weather app for Iphone?

Thanks
I’ don’t know what the best app is for the Iphone – but I would stick with the National Weather Service office for the best unhyped information. When ever there is threatening weather in the area, they'll show the area the National Weather Service has a warning for on TV (WFSB Hartford or WTNH New Haven).

Otherwise - I would not get overly excited about thunderstorms each time they pass through. Thunderstorms are part of summer climate on the East Coast as the heat builds up...so get used to it (lol). Unlike the West Coast where the summer flow is from the cooler higher latitudes...on the East Coast in summer the flow is often out of the tropics. This flow often sends hot, sultry air masses over us and these air masses collide with cooler air coming down from Canada - and we get thundershowers. Normally there is a brief bout of thunder and lighting and gusty winds – then it passing quickly. Though not rare - tornadoes are infrequent in the area. If they expect really severe thunderstorms, you'll see it (warnings and locations) flashed across the bottom of the TV screen.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:

Thanks
A. No need to "unplug" everything. As long as your equipment (tvs, computers, ect) is on a surge suppressor you'll be ok. But make sure the surge protector isnt just a power source and that it actually "protects". Also find out if your house is grounded which is now code to having grounding rods.

B. Thanks for the report..keep em coming..It helps evaluate weather events.

C. The Weather Channel App for Iphone is going to be the best. Not only can you check weather updates for your zip code and see live radars but it should give you a warning when severe weather comes your way. EVERYONE needs to get alerts sent to their phones.
The Weather Channel iPhone Application

D. Just for added security you should sign up for text alerts which come directly from NWS. Anytime there is a Severe Weather Warning you will get a text with the details. Sign up here for free. https://registration.weather.com/ursa/alerts/step1

They are no longer able to offer SMS messages on the Sprint/Nextel, Boost, and Virgin Mobile networks. Which I am still fighting Sprint about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut