Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2011, 11:39 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,625,262 times

Advertisements

Thanks a lot for those youtube links Cambium, loved every second! Great stuff..

I remember Gloria very well - I was 6 years old, and kept wanting to go outside to feel the wind but my mother demanded I stay inside. We lost power for a long, long time.

I also remember the blizzard in 1996 as well - I believe the conditions were very icy for weeks as well, at Holy Cross we didn't have school for an entire week because of ice, and they rarely closed for weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 04:29 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
Thanks a lot for those youtube links Cambium, loved every second! Great stuff..

I remember Gloria very well - I was 6 years old, and kept wanting to go outside to feel the wind but my mother demanded I stay inside. We lost power for a long, long time.

I also remember the blizzard in 1996 as well - I believe the conditions were very icy for weeks as well, at Holy Cross we didn't have school for an entire week because of ice, and they rarely closed for weather.
Ahhh yes, Gloria.. I was 11. Duct tape on windows. I remember my Dad saying its over so we all went for a walk but I felt like something was wrong... It was actually the eye so the winds/rain started up again soon after. I was in New Rochelle at the time.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:32 AM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Ahhh yes, Gloria.. I was 11. Duct tape on windows. I remember my Dad saying its over so we all went for a walk but I felt like something was wrong... It was actually the eye so the winds/rain started up again soon after. I was in New Rochelle at the time.
I remember Gloria for a different reason....I was a college freshman in the Albany area and was planning to take the bus home to southern Westchester for the weekend (first trip home since going up to school) and it was cancelled......

Old 06-17-2011, 06:46 PM

Default Flooding from Storm on 6-17-11

Rowayton Darien had many roads closed due to flooding from poor drainage & streams & brooks overflowing. Perfect time for the evening commute on a friday! People were detouring but more roads were closed. All from 1/2 inch of rain in 1 hour!

I hope you all got plans if there ever was a Cat2 or higher hurricane in this state. Especially now with millions of people! Back just 50-75 years we could have waited until a Tsunami was down the road and we could get in a car and escape..Now you need a years notice! Sick.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:41 PM

6,121 posts, read 5,084,587 times
Does it get any better than yesterday or today? Dewpoints in the low 50s...no allergies...that pleasant cool feeling in the evenings!

Old 06-20-2011, 09:03 PM

Many Tornadoes today and ongoing in the midWest...that system (which is spinning like a hurricane) will move East towards us..

Get ready for storms Wednesday and Thursday. Tomorrow should be rain after the evening. I'm worried about Thursday maybe Wednesday night... The usual Lightning, Hail, and Tornado possible.

Old 06-21-2011, 03:52 PM

Default It's Not The Fire, It's The Ice

Must See Video! I Can’t wait.

Joe Bastardi on FoxBusiness speaks about the triple crown of global cooling:

*Sunspot activity dropping

*Oceans cooling

*Volcanic activity continues

http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/997055021001/beware-of-a-mini-ice-age/

Old 06-21-2011, 03:53 PM

Just remember for now...Its Global...Not Local. The entire planet is warmer... but with warm comes 2 of the points he spoke about.. (Ocean cooling and Volcanoes erupting)

And to flip it around...

Corn is the biggest crop in the U.S, valued at $66.7 billion in 2010. Today the price of corn rose on speculation that hot weather will move into the main growing regions next week. Temps could be 12 degrees above normal. Corn futures rose to $6.8025 a bushel.

Old 06-21-2011, 04:17 PM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Must See Video! I Can’t wait.

Joe Bastardi on FoxBusiness speaks about the triple crown of global cooling:

*Sunspot activity dropping

*Oceans cooling

*Volcanic activity continues

http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/997055021001/beware-of-a-mini-ice-age/
HMM, you'll really like this site then: Ice Age Now

I personally think there's a lot of both warming and cooling going on, it's just the natural way of things. I think the average of the 2 being warmth makes sense as the science of global warming is correct (Venus wouldn't be as hot as Mercury without a "greenhouse atmosphere"....in fact our very own Earth would be a lot colder without many of the "greenhouse gases") but at the same time it's somewhat exaggerated.

I'm not quite sure how warmth cools the oceans and fuels volcanoes though.....

Old 06-21-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post

I'm not quite sure how warmth cools the oceans and fuels volcanoes though.....
Very easy.... Volcanoes release steam when they boil from underneath which is caused by earthquakes. Earthquakes are caused from heat tension build up in the plates... The warmer it gets the more Volcanoes will erupt.

And even easier for the other...I'll use a picture instead of words... The facts are absolutely alarming whats melting.

http://www.treebadger.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/antarctica-melting.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut