Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2011, 11:17 AM

83,502 posts, read 75,260,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwhitechin View Post
ocean water temps are still cool, cooler than normal, since I know the saltwater fish migrations of years past, I notice things are about 2 weeks behind (i.e we went to a spot where codfish were last year this time, nobody home yet, and we found fish in a spot where they were 2 weeks earlier last year) So things are late in the marine environment anyway....if the ocean stays a little cooler than normal, should impeed I hope any due north progress of hurricanes. But, who knows with Mother Nature
Need a source for this claim...waters are warmer than average off the coast for past 2 months. I'll provide my source but need to watch these storms today...Heads up everyone!

Be on alert everyone.. Storms will be severe today.. All ingrediants are there. So please keep your ears and eyes open. Whether its the radar or the sky .. Dont go out if the skies are black!!

TORNADO WATCH 411 IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 800 PM EDT FOR THE FOLLOWING LOCATIONS CT CONNECTICUT COUNTIES INCLUDED ARE
FAIRFIELD- HARTFORD- NEW HAVEN -TOLLAND -WINDHAM
Intellicast - Weather Alerts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 11:22 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,895,809 times
I just got back from a three hour hike through the woods. When I left this morning the risk of a storm seemed small. Amazing how conditions change so quickly!

Old 06-01-2011, 12:29 PM

1,607 posts, read 3,089,815 times
guy I fished with who has been fishing off of Maine since the 60's says he never remembered seeing surface water temperatures this cool (was 47degrees last week) in the 3rd week of May.

Not sure if they are different or even above average further south down around Baltimore Canyon and beyond, but in the Gulf of Maine, chilly.

We'll see what develops come August anyway..

Old 06-01-2011, 06:27 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,059,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwhitechin View Post
guy I fished with who has been fishing off of Maine since the 60's says he never remembered seeing surface water temperatures this cool (was 47degrees last week) in the 3rd week of May.

Not sure if they are different or even above average further south down around Baltimore Canyon and beyond, but in the Gulf of Maine, chilly.

We'll see what develops come August anyway..
I walked to Charles island through 6" or so of water and it was plenty warm and have been in low tide waters near my house. Given, those warm up a bit from the sun, but there was enough churn/waves that it's well circulated and it was comfortably warm. I wouldn't jump into 3' of it, but it's definitely not unusually cold in CT right now.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:09 PM

yeah sometimes I forget the gulfstream turns east and offshore well before it hits the Gulf of Maine. I haven't fished down south of Long Island for a while so not sure if the water is average temp, below, or above. We'll see what develops this hurricane season....they are calling for 12 major storms I think I saw, but I don't believe it.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:36 PM

Use this site to see coastal water temps. This link goes to waters in the south...See the recent data of water temps and the column of the average temp for the date.

Beach waters were in the 80s in May when they should have been mid 70s.

You can check Atlantic coast North too. North is mixed with average, cooler and warmer.

Old 06-02-2011, 06:04 AM

Default CT River sucked up by Tornado

The most remembered scene from yesterdays Massachusettes Tornado will be seeing part of the Connecticut River reverse directions and get sucked up by the Tornado..INSANE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5plBdPBNj8

From news source with audio.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fwkb-fzPcA

Old 06-02-2011, 06:10 AM

that was one of the most insane things I ever saw how the water got sucked up like that......that was too close for comfort, I feel bad for the victims up there.

Looks like we have some nice weather for the next few days, if anything it will help in the cleanup process in Mass.

Old 06-02-2011, 06:19 AM

Incredible weather... Here's an image I saved during the event. When I saw this my jaw dropped and so did everyone elses.

The top left is the radar image. Red boxes indicate Tornado Warning. The spot next to A9 with the little hook and ball is what was so shocking to see...

Thats a debris ball. Its debris in the air that the satelite is picking up and putting back down on radar. Thats not something you see in New England.

Top right picture is hail signs. Whites and pinks indicate hail.

Bottom pics are rotations signs. Bottom right showing where the Tornadoes are where the reds embedded in the green.

Old 06-02-2011, 06:52 AM

11,295 posts, read 18,878,491 times
The news noted that it was the first tornado with fatalities in Massachusetts since 1995, and the deadliest Massachusetts tornado since 1955. But it also noted that even Massachusetts as a state averages 2 tornados of some sort somewhere per year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut