Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2022, 02:31 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyfaith View Post
God didn't revoke His own sovereignty when He gave us a degree of our own.
The kjv was produced as a translation with much prayer involved.
So God was not violating man's free will in answering the prayers of the translators in that they were relying on Him to give them words that would be accurate to His unadulterated message in their translation.
You seem to think God treated the prayers as permission to make robots of the translators! They still are INTERPRETATIONJS by the translators using their existing beliefs about God (obviously ignoring the direct, personal, and Divine Revelation of God's True Nature by Jesus on the Cross in favor of our ancestors' interpretation of the Cross using the belief in their wrathful and vengeful War God.

Old 05-17-2022, 07:05 PM

7,530 posts, read 3,032,424 times
God's Lost & Found

When the Scripture uses a word such as perish or destroy, the original word is apollumi. The koine Greek word apollumi means to lose, or to be lost. It is the same word Jesus used when He said "I was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel" (Matthew 15:24).

and

"Does he not leave the ninety-nine in the open country and go after the lost sheep until he finds it? And when he finds it, he joyfully puts it on his shoulders and goes home. Then he calls his friends and neighbors together and says, Rejoice with me; I have found my lost sheep (Luke 15:4-7).

The word, apollumi, is used to describe a sheep which was lost and then was found and restored. And Christ uses this same exact word in the following verse, "Do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, fear the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell" (Matthew 10:28-29).

The word translated as "hell" in this verse is actually gehenna, the city dump outside of Jerusalem. The original koine word for destroy here is apollumi which means to lose or be lost. This verse is not speaking of an eternal annihilation of a soul, but of a temporary losing of the soul, just like the lost sheep that was later found. It is the same with all the times you see Jesus speaking of someone perishing, such as in John 3:16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. A better translation would be whoever believes in Him should not be lost.

We are all lost until God finds us. Those who die yet unbelieving will experience further apollumi, or being lost in the Lake of Fire, which is the second death. But God has promised to destroy all death once and for all and grant belief to all at the consummation of the ages.

If apollumi meant destruction according to the traditional definition by those who believe in eternal torment or annihilation, then Jesus is lost forever, "But the chief priests and the elders persuaded the multitudes that they should ask for Barabbas and destroy (apollumi) Jesus." Matt. 27:20

So then, will you hold to the "traditional" view which makes the word of God of no effect? Or will you have the courage to go against the traditional hell-fire or annihilation view which denigrates the glorious victory Jesus bought through conquering death on the Cross for all mankind?

Those who are lost? or perished, are like the lost sheep. The lost sheep was perished, but the shepherd sought it out and restored it. We are all like the lost sheep before God finds us. Even now we are. We are all apollumi, or lost and perished as the lost sheep was. We are separated and alienated from God. But the lost sheep did not stay that way. And neither does anyone else. The Good Shepherd does not stop looking until He has found the last one.

Old 05-17-2022, 07:41 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,134,096 times
Thanks for sharing Rose2Luv.

I wonder if you have seen this site before:
https://www.mercifultruth.com/index.html
https://www.mercifultruth.com/links-chosenkingdom.html

It's another good site for study and understanding some key passages.

Enjoy!

--

"We have all been taught that only a select few Christians will be saved, and the rest of the world, billions, even trillions, will be consigned to a most horrifying punishment in literal fire, without redemption. But, the Bible teaches otherwise. God tells us what the symbols mean, and the churches have either willfully ignored the scriptures, or not noticed them. The Bible demonstrates that God's judgments are good for mankind and that they result in his good purpose. Yes, the Bible says so unambiguously, as you will witness."

https://www.mercifultruth.com/links-savedbygrace.html

Old 05-17-2022, 07:57 PM

8,039 posts, read 1,846,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
There are MANY MANY errors in the KJV. All you need to do is look.
Here is one list I found doing a quick search. It doesn't even mention the errors of 'hell' and 'forever'.

https://superiorword.org/errors-in-t...james-version/

You can continue to lie to yourself if you wish jbf; it is your choice.
I would say that the website you have posted is one-sided and does not give any room for arguments to the contrary.

And all of it is basically subjective since we do not have the original manuscripts anymore and therefore it cannot be determined that anything in the kjv was an actual mistranslation.

Because the only way to prove that anything was mistranslated would be to go to the original manuscripts and show that the word that was translated does not mean what was written in the original manuscripts.

Old 05-17-2022, 09:00 PM

553 posts, read 173,045 times
Quote:
I would say that the website you have posted is one-sided and does not give any room for arguments to the contrary.

And all of it is basically subjective since we do not have the original manuscripts anymore and therefore it cannot be determined that anything in the kjv was an actual mistranslation.

Because the only way to prove that anything was mistranslated would be to go to the original manuscripts and show that the word that was translated does not mean what was written in the original manuscripts.
Why don't you read up on the history of the KJV? Here's an interesting excerpt about who gave the translators their orders; none other than King James himself (btw, James was a flaming homosexual; presently screaming his lungs out in agony, forever burning in hell according to your ilk)

"Further, the king gave the translators instructions designed to guarantee that the new version would conform to the ecclesiology of the Church of England. Certain Greek and Hebrew words were to be translated in a manner that reflected the traditional usage of the church. For example, old ecclesiastical words such as the word "church" were to be retained and not to be translated as "congregation". The new translation would reflect the episcopal structure of the Church of England and traditional beliefs about ordained clergy."

Old 05-17-2022, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellsmaine View Post
Why don't you read up on the history of the KJV? Here's an interesting excerpt about who gave the translators their orders; none other than King James himself (btw, James was a flaming homosexual; presently screaming his lungs out in agony, forever burning in hell according to your ilk)

"Further, the king gave the translators instructions designed to guarantee that the new version would conform to the ecclesiology of the Church of England. Certain Greek and Hebrew words were to be translated in a manner that reflected the traditional usage of the church. For example, old ecclesiastical words such as the word "church" were to be retained and not to be translated as "congregation". The new translation would reflect the episcopal structure of the Church of England and traditional beliefs about ordained clergy."
I think that the accusation against king James is entirely made up in an attempt to discredit the translation that he mandated.

If I recall correctly, he was actually excommunicated from the Catholic Church because of his relations with a woman.

The King James Version also clearly condemns homosexuality.

And also, king Jimmy is not the one who translated the words but rather he called out a team of Greek and Hebrew scholars who put much prayer into the translation.

Old 05-17-2022, 10:41 PM

553 posts, read 173,045 times
Quote:
I think that the accusation against king James is entirely made up in an attempt to discredit the translation that he mandated.

If I recall correctly, he was actually excommunicated from the Catholic Church because of his relations with a woman.

The King James Version also clearly condemns homosexuality.

And also, king Jimmy is not the one who translated the words but rather he called out a team of Greek and Hebrew scholars who put much prayer into the translation.
Here is part of a letter King James wrote to Robert Carr: "In one angry letter, James wrote, "You have been creeping back and withdrawing yourself from lying in my chamber, notwithstanding my many hundred times earnest soliciting you to the contrary."

Old 05-17-2022, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You seem to think God treated the prayers as permission to make robots of the translators! They still are INTERPRETATIONS <fify> by the translators using their existing beliefs about God (obviously ignoring the direct, personal, and Divine Revelation of God's True Nature by Jesus on the Cross in favor of our ancestors' interpretation of the Cross using the belief in their wrathful and vengeful War God.
The fact that the translators prayed means that they became effective conduits of the Holy Spirit; so that the words that were chosen by them to relate certain words out of the Greek and Hebrew languages, were from the Holy Spirit; even Holy Ghost commentary of what is written in the original Hebrew and Greek.

So that the kjv, effectively and accurately, relates the unadulterated message of the whole counsel of God; even the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ unto the salvation of those who will believe.

Old 05-17-2022, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellsmaine View Post
Here is part of a letter King James wrote to Robert Carr: "In one angry letter, James wrote, "You have been creeping back and withdrawing yourself from lying in my chamber, notwithstanding my many hundred times earnest soliciting you to the contrary."
Whether King James was homosexual or not is not the issue (although I do not believe that he was, see Matthew 5:10-12).

Because it was not King James who translated the kjv but a team of men who put much prayer into the translation of the kjv.

Therefore, even if the king were a homosexual, that would have no bearing on the words that would ultimately be used in the newly translated version.

If the king's influence "as a homosexual" were going to have any bearing, you would think that it would have a bearing on the concept of whether homosexuality is moral or not.

But, it didn't.

Old 05-18-2022, 01:13 AM

7,530 posts, read 3,032,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Thanks for sharing Rose2Luv.

I wonder if you have seen this site before:
https://www.mercifultruth.com/index.html
https://www.mercifultruth.com/links-chosenkingdom.html

It's another good site for study and understanding some key passages.

Enjoy!

--

"We have all been taught that only a select few Christians will be saved, and the rest of the world, billions, even trillions, will be consigned to a most horrifying punishment in literal fire, without redemption. But, the Bible teaches otherwise. God tells us what the symbols mean, and the churches have either willfully ignored the scriptures, or not noticed them. The Bible demonstrates that God's judgments are good for mankind and that they result in his good purpose. Yes, the Bible says so unambiguously, as you will witness."

https://www.mercifultruth.com/links-savedbygrace.html
Lego: sharing the glorious good news of our Gods great plan of reconciliation is pure joy. Much thanks for the link; ABBA's first fruits company speak out of Him.

God is good in all He does!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity