Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2022, 11:04 AM

553 posts, read 173,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Thanks pcamps, I presume this is the verse jimmiej was thinking of. Maybe it was another.
In any case lets look:

Luke 13
22 Then Jesus went through the towns and villages, teaching as he made his way to Jerusalem. 23 Someone asked him, “Lord, are only a few people going to be saved?”

He said to them, 24 “Make every effort to enter through the narrow door, because many, I tell you, will try to enter and will not be able to. 25 Once the owner of the house gets up and closes the door, you will stand outside knocking and pleading, ‘Sir, open the door for us.’

“But he will answer, ‘I don’t know you or where you come from.’

26 “Then you will say, ‘We ate and drank with you, and you taught in our streets.’

27 “But he will reply, ‘I don’t know you or where you come from. Away from me, all you evildoers!’

28 “There will be weeping there, and gnashing of teeth, when you see Abraham, Isaac and Jacob and all the prophets in the kingdom of God, but you yourselves thrown out. 29 People will come from east and west and north and south, and will take their places at the feast in the kingdom of God. 30 Indeed there are those who are last who will be first, and first who will be last.

Notice Jesus answer to the question "are only a few people going to be saved?". He tells people to follow the narrow path, because he won't know them if they aren't on it. Very true. Even so far as to speak about them not being in the Kingdom of God. I suppose some think that is evidence that they never get in, or are simply left to burn in endless fire (that is not stated).

However the last line of the response is of utmost importance: The last shall be first and the first shall be last!. This is a common theme. Its not "the first shall be tortured forever". No. The first shall be last. It is implying a definite order of things. The proud shall be humbled, and the meek shall inherit the earth.
Another way of looking at it is Jesus spoke to the people only in parables. He spoke in parables, IMO, so that people 2000 years later would still be debating, and his message not lost to time.
He told them still another parable: “The kingdom of heaven is like leaven that a woman took and mixed into three measures of flour, until all of it was leavened.” Jesus spoke all these things to the crowds in parables. He did not tell them anything without using a parable. So was fulfilled what was spoken through the prophet: “I will open My mouth in parables; I will utter things hidden since the foundation of the world.”
The entire passage in Luke 13 is better explained in The Message version of the Bible (note Jesus is still speaking in parables):

The Way to God

Then he said, “How can I picture God’s kingdom for you? What kind of story can I use? It’s like an acorn that a man plants in his front yard. It grows into a huge oak tree with thick branches, and eagles build nests in it.”

He tried again. “How can I picture God’s kingdom? It’s like yeast that a woman works into enough dough for three loaves of bread—and waits while the dough rises.”

He went on teaching from town to village, village to town, but keeping on a steady course toward Jerusalem.

A bystander said, “Master, will only a few be saved?”

He said, “Whether few or many is none of your business. Put your mind on your life with God. The way to life—to God!—is vigorous and requires your total attention. A lot of you are going to assume that you’ll sit down to God’s salvation banquet just because you’ve been hanging around the neighborhood all your lives. Well, one day you’re going to be banging on the door, wanting to get in, but you’ll find the door locked and the Master saying, ‘Sorry, you’re not on my guest list.’

“You’ll protest, ‘But we’ve known you all our lives!’ only to be interrupted with his abrupt, ‘Your kind of knowing can hardly be called knowing. You don’t know the first thing about me.’

“That’s when you’ll find yourselves out in the cold, strangers to grace. You’ll watch Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and all the prophets march into God’s kingdom. You’ll watch outsiders stream in from east, west, north, and south and sit down at the table of God’s kingdom. And all the time you’ll be outside looking in—and wondering what happened. This is the Great Reversal: the last in line put at the head of the line, and the so-called first ending up last.”

Old 05-19-2022, 11:28 AM

4,639 posts, read 1,187,026 times
Universalism is false because there will be two sorts of people in the resurrection, that of the just and the unjust Acts 24:15

And have hope toward God, which they themselves also allow, that there shall be a resurrection of the dead, both of the just and unjust.

Now the unjust are those Christ didnt die for, because the ones He died for are made just Rom 5:19

19 For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.

The word righteous here is also the word just in the original.

Old 05-19-2022, 11:39 AM

4,639 posts, read 1,187,026 times
Quote:
Simple question. Were you ever unrighteous?
Doesnt matter, God sees some as righteous and others as unrighteous. In the false teaching of universalism, God sees all as righteous in the end, and all enter the kingdom, that is false.

Old 05-19-2022, 11:45 AM

8,039 posts, read 1,847,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Didn’t Jesus say that few would be saved?
Quote:
No He didn't, but feel free to post some scripture where you think He said that, then we can discuss and analyze the scripture.

Romans 5 says many (all) will be saved.
Mat 7:13, Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
Mat 7:14, Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

Old 05-19-2022, 11:48 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,134,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyfaith View Post
Mat 7:13, Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
Mat 7:14, Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
So Romans 5 is wrong? Many aren't saved?

Old 05-19-2022, 11:53 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,312,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyfaith View Post
Narrow is THE WAY. The way being the God Life in the here and now, not some entrance into heaven after we pass from this world. The way is not a compilation of right beliefs about God and the Bible, it is a walk in the light of life in this world, where the broad way to the many is our lot and our reality.

THE NARROW WAY

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.

2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever

Old 05-19-2022, 12:39 PM

20,443 posts, read 12,801,153 times
Quote:
No He didn't, but feel free to post some scripture where you think He said that, then we can discuss and analyze the scripture.

In Luke 13, Jesus said few will be able to enter and the door will be shut.

Old 05-19-2022, 01:05 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,134,096 times
Quote:
Yes, and Romans 5 says many (all) will be made righteous. Do you think these verses conflict? Few=many? Or maybe there is a larger plan at work here...

Old 05-19-2022, 01:23 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,312,904 times
Quote:
When you enter into a new and living way there is no going back. You cannot un-see or un-know something. You should stop reading scriptures how jbf does, as if they are literal and plain speech.

Old 05-19-2022, 01:26 PM

20,443 posts, read 12,801,153 times
Quote:
Didn’t Jesus say that few would be saved?
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, and Romans 5 says many (all) will be made righteous. Do you think these verses conflict? Few=many? Or maybe there is a larger plan at work here...
So, I was correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity