Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 05:52 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,695,515 times

Advertisements

If your into cars, the PeeDee Car show comes to town and has about a thousand cars to admire.
During that time a parade of cars travels through Myrtle Beach. There are always a lot of car shows around, or car meet ups.
There are many entertainers who show up and its hard not to find just one that you might like.
Of course Myrtle is an area for golfers with over 100 golf courses. The golfers would hate it if too
much snow were abound.
Being in Pawleys you have found a more peaceful setting,but at least the weather is good.
Can't beat all that sunshine and blue skies.
Many move this way for that sunshine and for the ocean and restaurants.
It certainly isn't a place to ski or snowboard. Although you could do those things during your vacation times.
I did live near Seattle at one time in my life, overlooking Mt. Rainer. But, climate and outdoor fun brings me south.
I personally love the stage shows at all the various theaters. I like also that I have many places to take visitors.
The Zoo, the Pirate Adventure, the Aquarium, Broadway at the Beach.....and the list goes on and on.
Think of what you enjoy doing and head to the fun. It just might be around you. Wishing you good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 01:16 PM

28 posts, read 137,958 times
Hey I can understand where you are coming from, but I have to say - and I know it sounds cliched - you have to give it a chance and find 'your people'.

My wife and I moved here in 2007 and, she in particular had serious culture shock and was very miserable for the first year, finding it almost impossible to make friends. Don't get me wrong, people are really friendly but we are definitely not into the church thing and all the decent folks that we seemed to meet had that as their social focus. Otherwise we seemed to run into a lot of people who were ultra-rightwing, racist and ignorant. It was tough and we moved away to CO, where we were happy - but upside down on our mortgage here and unable to sell, renting in CO, so decided to give it another go.

Second time around has been completely different and we both now really enjoy our lives here. We live in the Market Common, which is a very pleasant area with a great, genuine community feel. We accepted invites from our neighbors to visit events in places like Pawleys Island Tavern and Hot Fish Club - great live music and fun, friendly atmosphere which brough us out into local life and started the ball rolling. Bought a membership at Brookgreen Garden's, where we go at least once a week and must be among the most beautiful gardens in America, They opened a charter school literally opposite our house that is a fantastic school and as good as the one we left in CO - both in terms of academics and after school programs.

Pick up a copy of The Surge and see what is going on, you will be surprised at some of the non-tourist options that are out there.

We have made friends for life here now and have a great group of people and that makes a big difference.

I hear a lot of people complaining about things, but to be honest, what I have seen happening to MB since 2007 - during the worst recession since the Great Depression - is all good. The Emmens Preserve area is fast growing and very nice, the Market Common continues to survive and grow into itself, the city as a whole is going through a process of gentrification which makes it more appealing to both residents and visitors and I really believe that MB will only continue to have a brighter future. The new library is very welcome and there are serious talks about building a performing arts centre. The Aerospace Park has the potential to bring hundreds of good paying jobs to the area.

I lived in London for 11 years and yes I miss 'real' restaurants, theatre, a vibrant music and arts scene.. but the friendliness and hospitality that I have found in SC make this my infinitely preferred place to call home.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:51 PM

214 posts, read 650,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconman View Post
Learn to play golf
I know how to golf, I just choose not to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyMoosh View Post
I started vacationing here in the late 80's. Like most people, I picked up a case of "vacation intoxication". How can you not love the Grand Strand when you vacation here? I'm from Cleveland and we have loooong winters and lots of grey skies. So getting on the beach and basking in the sun and then going out and stuffing your face at one of the 1,900 restaurants is what it's all about. Here's the problem. Vacationing is different than living somewhere. When I vacationed here all I needed was sun, sand and food and Myrtle Beach delivered. However, when you live here it's totally different. You have different needs. When I moved here full time in 2007 my needs went from sun, sand and food, to school systems, libraries, culture, a good credible newspaper, professional sports teams, and like-minded people. We have NONE of that here. We FINALLY are getting a library built in Carolina Forest and people are making a big deal of it. Shouldn't it have been here long ago? To make matters worse, it's supposed to be completed in spring but there is no funding to buy books or pay staff so it may sit empty for months. After all, we have to use our tax dollars for paying off the good ole boys who run the city and county. And lets make sure we put that multi-million dollar overpass in friggen Aynor before we widen 501 and make it, gasp, a REAL freeway. People in the north are generally more open-minded and more educated. Sorry folks but it's true. This is a right-wing, close-minded bible-belt area. Where is the culture? Burroughs and Chapin Museum? Puhleeze. I'm a single dad and trying to meet fit, attractive women here is damn near impossible. Most women here are fat in the fried food, funnel cake capital of the world. Bottom line...if you want to vacation at an oceanfront place with lots of sun, food, and cheesy neon entertainment, Myrtle Beach is a great place to come. If you want to move to an oceanfront location with culture, fit, open-minded people, go to Sarasota or somewhere like that. And yes, attitude is a big part of liking where you're at and my gratitude list is a long one. That doesn't change the facts listed above. I blame myself for my predicament. I didn't do my due diligence before moving here. Like I said at the beginning, I was suffering from vacation intoxication and never realized living somewhere is different from vacationing there. This is just my opinion. I respect that other people may find the area perfect for them. If you want to golf and go out to eat every day it may be the perfect place for you. I would give serious thought to leaving except for two factors. 1. My daughter is in first grade and I don't want to be disrupting her life and 2. I paid a fortune for my house during the real estate peak and would take a financial beating selling it. I know this post is a little crass and I apologize for that. I'm just in one of those moods.

I feel about the same way you do, this place would probably be fun if I was here for a week tops.......as far as living year round it sucks. I have never been so bored in my whole life. I dont like golfing and I dont like buffets. Why are so many places here buffets?!?!? There are tons of resturaunts here and I have yet to find one I would return to. Any suggestions of restaurants that have good food at reasonable prices ($25 and under a plate) would be REALLY welcome.

There are things here to do, but in reality how many times am I going to go to alligator adventure, medieval times or some Dolly Parton show? once maybe. I'm 30 I don't want to wander around Brookgreen Gardens every weekend. I don't have kids either so I'm not trying to spend my days entertaining rug rats.

I guess I'm just pissy because its another Friday night that I'm just sitting at home. We got in the car earlier and drove up hwy 17 all the way to north myrtle beach on business 17 and all the way back down regular 17 and there is literally nothing to do unless I want to sit in a bar. Everything else here is closed. I have no clue what people even do here in the evenings??

I should probably pick up the Surge newspaper that people mentioned maybe there is something that everyone is doing tonight and I just missed it on my 2 hour drive.

Sorry I am just grumpy tonight lol I get bored and want to leave the house but whenever I leave the house here I just want to go home.....then when I get there I want to leave. It just sucks to feel like you have no where you want to be.

Last edited by Scotty Dosent Know; 12-16-2011 at 09:48 PM..

Old 12-16-2011, 09:58 PM

166 posts, read 304,922 times
Hey Scotty.
Sorry you are having a bad night...they happen, even in Seattle!
Did you and the wife ever think about trying a class at the comunity college? I don't recall seeing that suggested before and it may work for you. Lots of options that are hobby oriented- maybe you could find a new interest.
It does sound like you need to develop a really good relationship with "The Surge"- its the only thing we've seen that doesn't focus on the tourist trade activities.
You are really in a tough bracket for making this move- too young to want to slow down and too old to raise H.- and stuck in a tourist -based economy. If you aren't interested in fishing or history you are in pretty deep.
You might try spending more of your free time in one of the SC college towns, or even going up to Wilmington. NC. Don't know if the crowds would be too young or not, but at least there is likely to be more to do in the"hip" category. I suspect that the best bet for the dining options you're looking for are going to be down in Charleston, but even then its not going to be PNW dining- dishes will still be heavier and you won't find a lot of the new age style foods you would back there...it seems to be on the way, but Southern traditions run deep and like everything else change is slow here.
Keep trying to find an outlet...you and the Mrs. really should try something new every week- and even the stuff that you are just sure you'll hate- cuz you never know what may surprise you. If nothing else, at least go out crabbing when you can- that is something you can do on either coast and its always fun and has a great benefit...dinner!
You just need to find that "first good thing", whatever it is....keep looking! I'm sure you will find an outlet somewhere.
Good luck

Old 12-17-2011, 10:55 AM

Yes I know I had bad nights back home too lol Its just that normally back home on a friday night if there was nothing to do I would grab a couple friends and go to one of many rock shows playing down town and then afterwards go to maybe 13 coins (24hr fine dining) for some beers and steak at 4am lol Or even Lucky Strike which is an upscale bowling alley with a bar that is open till 3am. After 8pm here im just stumped as to what to do =P

I think today we are going to jump in the car and head down to Charleston to find something to do and some dinner. I am going to pick up one of those Surge magazines too.

I do fish and I may have to give crabbing here a shot. Lots of people seem to to it from the bridge next to my house. I mainly did a lot of salmon and bass fishing back home but I dont have a boat out here which kinda cramps my style.

As for food I do like "home style" food probably the best followed by Mexican buy have not run into any that is that great around here. Im going to consult the Iphone to try to find a good place in Charleston today lol

I never really thought about going up to Wilmington, is it a fairly large town? is there a college up there? A younger crowd does not bother me to very much seeing as my wife is 24. I am also very young looking for my age.....most people guess 22 lol I suppose thats a good thing though, still have all my hair lol College classes might be fun although I dont have time and my wife is enjoying the break since she was in school for 4 years before moving here. Also I think we would have to pay out of state tuition which wold be spendy.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:34 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,678,806 times
Default Bars, bowling and bands

There are plenty of bowling alleys around here, but I don't know and doubt very much if they also serve steaks. Strange combo that I have never heard of. But if you want both, go have a steak at Ruth's Chris and then hit the alleys! Maybe I misread your most recent post, now that I'm looking at it again, seems like you are really missing the "middle of the" night life. You most likely won't find that here and if you do, you will be sorry because the only thing that seems to happen in MB at 3 and 4 am is crime-based.....Maybe you haven't adjusted to the time change yet, hahaha!

You said you don't like hanging out in bars, but that you like listening to music. There are a lot of places near where you live that have GREAT music. Have you looked into any of the music scene in PI, etc? Also, HOB in MB?

As far as restaurants, I also hate buffets and would never go to one voluntarily, but at the same time, I moved here from NJ and most of my dining out was in NYC and the NJ area at extremely nice, expensive and top rated restaurants (thank you to all my RX reps!). Although there is not the selection of food here that there was in the NYC area, I have found many wonderful places to eat. Maybe it's your budget limitations, but I can't imagine that you haven't found anywhere (other than that one place you mentioned) to eat that meets your expectations.

I was reading back through your previous comments and this sentence you posted really sticks out:

"I understand where you are coming from but I really would not want to fit in even if I could."

I think you are in the mindset where you just want to be unhappy. My advice: Wallow in your misery. I don't mean this in a snarky way at all, but am very serious. Sometimes that is what we need to do in order to be able to move on to a better outlook.

I do hope that you find what you are looking for, but I think the answer is inside of you, not in your dissatisfaction with the world around you.

Last edited by vrexy; 12-17-2011 at 11:39 AM.. Reason: needed to add some stuff!

Old 12-17-2011, 11:46 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,678,806 times
Default Oh yeah, and then there's this....

Another quote from you:

Every thing is relative......if you want to treat your depression move to South Carolina and then come back to Washington. Seriously. I used to think I was depressed in Seattle untill I moved to SC and now I basically wish I was dead. Now in 2 years when I am able to move back to Seattle I dont think I will have anything to be depressed about. I will be cured!

I guess this is the exact opposite of what the person above me said to do but im a pessimist and not religious so there you go lol

From me:

As I said in my previous post, you seem determined to be unhappy. My advice to wallow - take it!

Old 12-18-2011, 08:12 AM

7 posts, read 8,496 times
Default Scotty Dosent Know a good thing when he sees it.

I've traveled to 42 countries, lived in many different regions of the country, including the mid-west, the New York area, the Washington DC area, and the San Francisco Bay Area. I've been to countless Broadway shows, visited the top museums and eaten at the finest restaurants.
But I have never lived in a place as wonderful as Surfside Beach and the Grand Strand. I love the people, the weather, the food and, yes, even the CULTURE of this area. Being a physician, I've had the opportunity to talk to hundreds of people who either have lived here all their lives or have moved here from other areas of the country, and this is the only place I've been where so many people, when I ask "How do you like living in this area," almost universally respond, "I LOVE IT!"
Unlike Scotty Dosent (sic) know, I wouldn't live someplace I hated, just for the money. In fact, there is no amount of money that would make me leave the Grand Strand.
And yes, I've also been to Seattle. It was cold, grey, drab, and greatly over-rated, and not nearly as interesting or beautiful or exciting as its neighbor to the north, Vancouver, B.C..
It's clear that Scotty Dosent (sic) Know selected the perfect moniker, because it's obvious that Scotty Doesn't Know a good thing when he sees it.
Please do yourself (and us) a great favor and go back to the city of your dreams. We love it here and you love it there, so that will make everyone happy.

Old 12-18-2011, 08:54 AM

166 posts, read 304,922 times
I don't know how big Wilmington is, but its the site of a branch of UNC. Kids who go there love it and it seems to have some night life. Columbia or Clemson might also fit your needs.
It occurs to me, after you last post that what you really miss is nightlife an urban element that you absolutely will not find down here. As Vrexy said, nothing legal will be happening at 3am!!
Regarding classes- my thought was some sort of non-credit hobby oriented offering that would be weekends or nights and casual, not a bonafide course for credit situation; those "continuing ed" classes rarely have an out of state fee as far as I know.
Anyway, good luck with it.

Old 12-18-2011, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
There are plenty of bowling alleys around here, but I don't know and doubt very much if they also serve steaks. Strange combo that I have never heard of. But if you want both, go have a steak at Ruth's Chris and then hit the alleys! Maybe I misread your most recent post, now that I'm looking at it again, seems like you are really missing the "middle of the" night life. You most likely won't find that here and if you do, you will be sorry because the only thing that seems to happen in MB at 3 and 4 am is crime-based.....Maybe you haven't adjusted to the time change yet, hahaha!

You said you don't like hanging out in bars, but that you like listening to music. There are a lot of places near where you live that have GREAT music. Have you looked into any of the music scene in PI, etc? Also, HOB in MB?

As far as restaurants, I also hate buffets and would never go to one voluntarily, but at the same time, I moved here from NJ and most of my dining out was in NYC and the NJ area at extremely nice, expensive and top rated restaurants (thank you to all my RX reps!). Although there is not the selection of food here that there was in the NYC area, I have found many wonderful places to eat. Maybe it's your budget limitations, but I can't imagine that you haven't found anywhere (other than that one place you mentioned) to eat that meets your expectations.

I was reading back through your previous comments and this sentence you posted really sticks out:

"I understand where you are coming from but I really would not want to fit in even if I could."

I think you are in the mindset where you just want to be unhappy. My advice: Wallow in your misery. I don't mean this in a snarky way at all, but am very serious. Sometimes that is what we need to do in order to be able to move on to a better outlook.

I do hope that you find what you are looking for, but I think the answer is inside of you, not in your dissatisfaction with the world around you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
Another quote from you:

Every thing is relative......if you want to treat your depression move to South Carolina and then come back to Washington. Seriously. I used to think I was depressed in Seattle untill I moved to SC and now I basically wish I was dead. Now in 2 years when I am able to move back to Seattle I dont think I will have anything to be depressed about. I will be cured!

I guess this is the exact opposite of what the person above me said to do but im a pessimist and not religious so there you go lol

From me:

As I said in my previous post, you seem determined to be unhappy. My advice to wallow - take it!
I think you kind of misread my post no steak at the bowling alley, its just a bowling alley/bar that is more upscale.
Here is a link they have some pics etc. its fun: Lucky Strike | Bowl Lucky Strike

As for the music scene in PI I didn't really know there was one. I know sometimes there is music on the board walk in Murells Inlet at some of the restaurants. Where would I look/go to find show times and locations? This would be something I would be very interessted in as I listen to a VERY wide variety of music.

As for restaurants every one keeps saying they have found many wonderful ones to eat at. Which ones? no one has really listed any, are they secrets? lol Because I have not found them yet although I'm sure there are some great ones out there. Just going by the shear number of restaurants there has to be. As far as budget limitations go if its Tuesday night and just I don't feel like cooking, no I'm not going to drop $80 on dinner for 2 people. Friday or Saturday night if we are "going out" then that would be acceptable. I feel like for $20 a plate on a week night I should be able to find something decent though.

As far as not wanting to fit in you are right, I do not want to fit in here. Said it before, I am who I am and im not going to change that in an attempt to "fit in". I will not be strapping on a visor, plaid shorts, and a tucked in pastel polo shirt buttoned up to the top button with my SC print belt any time soon. I refer to this as the official SC "uniform" by the way. =P

Yes, I hate it here. I don't think I will ever like it here because well, its just not what I like. I will most likely move away and never come back in a year or two. But I wonder why you think I am determined to be unhappy? Why did I make a topic looking for things to do and places to eat? Why do I keep trying new restaurants, going to new stores and traveling to new towns in this state? I have probably explored more of this state than many people who grew up here. I have put roughly 30,000 miles on my car in the 11 months I have been here.

Yes for the most part I do not like the people, weather, insects, flatness of the land etc. but I would like somethings that I look forward to doing and places I look forward to eating at when I get off of work. Which I did find a place and food I enjoy this weekend.

I have made it obvious that I don't like it here (hell it says it in the topic title) but I have not turned this into my personal space to bash certain restaurants, areas or businesses. I could very easily come on here and list all the things I do not like about town "X" and how this or that restaurant/business is horrible but I don't, I keep trying new ones. If I was determined to be unhappy I would come in here and just make a list every day LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by akueljuan View Post
I've traveled to 42 countries, lived in many different regions of the country, including the mid-west, the New York area, the Washington DC area, and the San Francisco Bay Area. I've been to countless Broadway shows, visited the top museums and eaten at the finest restaurants.
But I have never lived in a place as wonderful as Surfside Beach and the Grand Strand. I love the people, the weather, the food and, yes, even the CULTURE of this area. Being a physician, I've had the opportunity to talk to hundreds of people who either have lived here all their lives or have moved here from other areas of the country, and this is the only place I've been where so many people, when I ask "How do you like living in this area," almost universally respond, "I LOVE IT!"
That is great I'm really happy for you that you like it here I have visited many different places also, some that I liked more than here and some that I didn't.

In my line of work I run into a lot of different people on a daily basis also. I would say it is about 50/50 as to the people that like it here versus the people that don't. I have found that a lot of people will say they like it just fine but change their tune when I politely tell them I don't care for it here. I also run into people that think im crazy for not loving it here. I could care less if other people like it here and I don't. Different strokes for different folks. You like chocolate cake and I don't, so what? Same difference right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akueljuan View Post
Unlike Scotty Dosent (sic) know, I wouldn't live someplace I hated, just for the money. In fact, there is no amount of money that would make me leave the Grand Strand.
And yes, I've also been to Seattle. It was cold, grey, drab, and greatly over-rated, and not nearly as interesting or beautiful or exciting as its neighbor to the north, Vancouver, B.C..
It's clear that Scotty Dosent (sic) Know selected the perfect moniker, because it's obvious that Scotty Doesn't Know a good thing when he sees it.
Please do yourself (and us) a great favor and go back to the city of your dreams. We love it here and you love it there, so that will make everyone happy.
I like the fact that you are somehow implying that my being here is in some way impacting your life and the lives of others here. I actually got a good laugh out of that! "Please do yourself (and us) a great favor and go back to the city of your dreams. We love it here and you love it there, so that will make everyone happy" Apparently the great citizens of SC will be happier with me gone.....wow. lol Its also pretty funny how bent out of shape people seem to get over my not liking it here. I don't like it here and you don't like it in Seattle, OK great! Like I said before, different strokes for different folks. Seattle is not necessarily my city of dreams it just happens to have more things that I prefer. You are right it is cold, grey and drab. Apparently 7 million people like that, me included. No one says you HAD to like it there just because others do.

Also this has noting to do with anything other than your attempt to give me a dose of my own medicine (physcian joke, see I can be funny too) but you are correct, Vancouver B.C. is better than Seattle IMO. I would move there except the average home price in B.C. is right around $600K. Given its close proximity Seattle I would rather just make the drive when I want to visit than pay $200K more for the same house.

I had a great job opportunity and I took it, it just happens to be here. I will move when I find a suitable job back home, in the mean time I would like to find ways to enjoyably pass the time. Good for you that you would never live somewhere you didn't like for the money. I wanted the opportunity and the money, not the place. I would think that in this economy most people would make a good financial decision over staying some where they "liked". Or at least I hope people would. I can always move home but I could not always take this opportunity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goin2carolina View Post
I don't know how big Wilmington is, but its the site of a branch of UNC. Kids who go there love it and it seems to have some night life. Columbia or Clemson might also fit your needs.
It occurs to me, after you last post that what you really miss is nightlife an urban element that you absolutely will not find down here. As Vrexy said, nothing legal will be happening at 3am!!
Regarding classes- my thought was some sort of non-credit hobby oriented offering that would be weekends or nights and casual, not a bonafide course for credit situation; those "continuing ed" classes rarely have an out of state fee as far as I know.
Anyway, good luck with it.
Funny you bring up Wilmington because I took your suggestion and we ended up going there yesterday (Sat. night) instead of Charleston like we had planned and had a great time! Thank you so much! My wife and I did some shopping at a few small clothing stores looking for an outfit for her for Christmas and liked the styles they had. Grabbed a few beers at a pub and had dinner at a restaurant on front street?? Food and beer were good too, I will be returning in the near future to check it out more

Another thing that we noticed is that the age of people in the area is much younger than what we have become used to in MB area. It was almost bizarre to see so many young people walking around (under 40) which was nice for a change. I have noticed certain areas of Charleston seem to be younger also, im sure due to the schools down there. Wilmington is to far north for my job to consider moving there but we have talked about getting a place in Mt. Pleasant or Charleston if we stay here after our lease is up in July.

I don't know what the rest of the town looks like other than the old section of town where we ended up on the river but I liked what I saw. I have only been to NC 2-3 times and it was evening/dark but this trip I found that I like NC a lot more than SC. Terrain is more hilly and the roads have curves. On the way home found a few back roads that were fairly windy. This may sound silly but to a car guy who has spent MANY evenings back home driving windy roads for something to do the flat straight roads in SC have been driving me INSANE.

I do miss the night life but there are a lot of other things I miss too. Like I stated above corners lol And its not just Seattle I miss there are many other places that I would enjoy living and have thought about moving to.....if I could get a job in the Bay Area I would be pretty excited.

Last edited by Scotty Dosent Know; 12-18-2011 at 11:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area