Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 09:21 AM

19 posts, read 73,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
Ditto to what Rapture said. It sounds like you reached the only reasonable decision. Now hopefully, this thread can be put to rest, which will put all of us in a better mood.

BTW, you're driving too far for fish tacos. Quigley's has a killer blackened mahi taco served with an excellent salsa verde.
Oh man, I loved Quigley's when I lived there, but you are missing out if you don't go to Nacho Hippo and try their Bangin' Shrimp taco. AMAZING SAUCE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 02:23 PM

1,126 posts, read 1,724,612 times
Oh Scotty- did you ever go hang gliding?

Old 06-18-2012, 05:41 PM

245 posts, read 496,468 times
I loved this thread so much info and I would like to thank Scotty for he has made me decided to rent for a year before buying in SC. I think I will do really well down there not sure if hubby will adapt as well. Thanks and good luck back home.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:27 PM

214 posts, read 651,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by busydesk View Post
Oh Scotty- did you ever go hang gliding?
No I never did. But I did look into it, there is a place I looked into in NC that does lessons. Still might go do that.

I did however get invited to go deep sea fishing which should be fun. Thats in the next couple weeks.

I am also in the process of planning a trip to the TN/NC border to go drive the "tail of the dragon" which is a very windy road. Probably going to rent a cabin for a night or two and drive the road and explore the area. It is supposed to be one of the best driving roads in America which is right up my alley. + when am I ever going to be on this side of the U.S. with my car again lol

Looking forward to this because I actually like TN and NC lol Here is a link to the tail of the dragon, 318 corners in 11 miles.

Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap, motorcycle and sport car two lane tourism serving Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap, Cherohala Skyway, Moonshiner28, Devils Triangle, and Six Gap North Georgia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarag View Post
I loved this thread so much info and I would like to thank Scotty for he has made me decided to rent for a year before buying in SC. I think I will do really well down there not sure if hubby will adapt as well. Thanks and good luck back home.
Glad that someone found this thread informative. I think renting is a great idea. Its a little different wanting to move here compared to me who moved here for a job and found out what it was like as an after thought lol

I would also be very careful about buying a house here if you are not planning to stay long term. Just for ****s and giggles my wife and I went to look at homes for sale not long after we got here. I mean why throw money away on rent if you can afford to buy right? Looked at many homes that the real estate agent said had been on the market for 2, 3, 4+ years, some where the people just moved out of state. Yea dont need that ball and chain

Old 06-25-2012, 09:31 AM

1 posts, read 1,506 times
Wow...I just read the original post and you are (were) in the exact same position as me. Formerly from Seattle, currently here because of work. I don't hate it, but it isn't home. Honestly, Seattle is hard to beat...

Anyway, my husband and I are here for at least two more years. I just wanted to let you know that your post helped a lot. I'm sorry you're leaving too--we could have met up and reminisced about the other coast.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,434 times
I wanted to create an account just to respond @Scotty Doesnt Know. I'm stuck in similar, though not same, situation.... from the PacNW, working at a really good paying job in Charleston for the last few years, and hating almost every day I'm here. Your post and this thread really helped me feel like I wasn't alone. Thank you!

Old 07-10-2012, 09:29 PM

183 posts, read 357,482 times
Sorry y'all don't like it here. It's depressing reading this thread and seeing how so many of you hate being here, and similarly seem to hate the people. I just read 4 pages of the OP and a couple others just completely trashing my home state and the culture I grew up in.

I think you are very uninformed, and rather judgmental about the people here. I could type a book explaining the way of life down here but I think it would fall on deaf ears. Once again I will apologize for all your awful experiences here. I don't mind transplants one bit, but I hope all who hate his place can leave it to those of us whose lives are rooted in the Carolina soil and whose memories are synced to the tide. Hopefully one day you will be rid of backwards, uneducated and uncultured folks such as myself.

I sincerely wish you the best and I hope you can make it back to where you are happy. I also hope that some Southern soul doesn't make it up your way to defecate on the snow-capped mountains under the gray skies you love so much, and then proceed to tell you that defecating was so much better in the pluff mud. Maybe then you might feel as I do.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:06 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,706,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcampbell View Post
Wow...I just read the original post and you are (were) in the exact same position as me. Formerly from Seattle, currently here because of work. I don't hate it, but it isn't home. Honestly, Seattle is hard to beat...

Anyway, my husband and I are here for at least two more years. I just wanted to let you know that your post helped a lot. I'm sorry you're leaving too--we could have met up and reminisced about the other coast.
I was so surprised to read your posting as all the "gold in China" would not get me to move to Seattle.
Yes, I did live there for a time period when my husband was at Fort Lewis. The most beautiful thing was Mt. Rainer and a trip to there is so fantastic. However, days and days of grey and no warmth in the summer was unrewarding to me.
I remember putting on my swimsuit and trying to swim in July and it was just to cold, airwise and water wise.
I can remember waiting for sunshine, and clear days. Warmth!
There is so much to do in this area that if one is bored or forlorn it just has to be a genuine homesickness.
I can remember going to the beach in Oregon and it was July but it was freezing cold like a November day. This was something I just wasn't use to on our east coast at all.
Best thing to do is get out and enjoy all there is in this area, and there is a lot. At least until that day you return to your ideal place, on that West Coast.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:25 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,706,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12pointbuck View Post
Sorry y'all don't like it here. It's depressing reading this thread and seeing how so many of you hate being here, and similarly seem to hate the people. I just read 4 pages of the OP and a couple others just completely trashing my home state and the culture I grew up in.

I think you are very uninformed, and rather judgmental about the people here. I could type a book explaining the way of life down here but I think it would fall on deaf ears. Once again I will apologize for all your awful experiences here. I don't mind transplants one bit, but I hope all who hate his place can leave it to those of us whose lives are rooted in the Carolina soil and whose memories are synced to the tide. Hopefully one day you will be rid of backwards, uneducated and uncultured folks such as myself.

I sincerely wish you the best and I hope you can make it back to where you are happy. I also hope that some Southern soul doesn't make it up your way to defecate on the snow-capped mountains under the gray skies you love so much, and then proceed to tell you that defecating was so much better in the pluff mud. Maybe then you might feel as I do.
This is a little to gross...a discription for my taste. Plus, those mountains are the one thing Washington State has going for it. Seriously, the "one" thing. Mt. Rainer is awesome to look at and to visit. I will give the state that.
I will forever be happy with the people of South Carolina. They are the sweetest, caring, and charming people I have ever met...in any place.
I am starting to feel that well educated and cultured folks have a lot to learn here in the way of manners and charm. All the education in the World won't give one the gift of being friendly to strangers and being able to hold a decent conversation with others.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:54 PM

28 posts, read 79,589 times
You will probably enjoy the TN/NC trip. I love the mountains my husband loves the ocean (I do too) but love the mountains more. There are many interesting backroads and you might check out the Blue Ridge Parkway. My husband wants to move to Myrtle Beach, I'm opting for a mountain home and beach "trips"...we shall see. I don't think I can live on flat land for very long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area