Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 12:08 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,682,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goin2carolina View Post
Wow, folks. Can I just say something here? At the risk of alienating a lot of participants I have to ask- are you really READING Scotty's posts? He's not crying to us about how miserable he is, he's been asking for practical solutions to alleviate his unfortunate situation. He made a judgement error ( which he has owned up to and acknowldeged) and he admits that he isn't a fit for the area....he's not whining about his pitiful life, he's ASKING FOR SUGGESTIONS to bide his time here.

If you really read back through all the posts, you will see that almost everyone on here started out with hospitality, offered many suggestions of things for him to do and sympathized with his situation. A very few bashers from the get go, but most people made a sincere effort to offer suggestions and to help him.

It wasn't until NOTHING seemed to please him and about one time, maybe twice, did he ever thank anyone for trying to help that the bashing started.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 07:00 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,989,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelach View Post
Your subject caught my eye, but then when I read the body of your post, it was just strange... in that I am from Seattle (grew up there until leaving 1.5 years ago), met my now-husband in Seattle, and we now live in Myrtle Beach (near the Market Common) and If you and your wife are interested in new friends, even for a short while, we're here and would love to complain about the area and reminisce about Seattle with people who actually understand. Also, we are atheists, I'm 28, my husband is 30, no kids, haaaaate the weather here and don't really go out to restaurants much because most just serve fried, salty grease bombs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty Dosent Know View Post
That is pretty odd actually, you guys sound alot like us even religious preference. May have to shoot you a message on here, I know my wife has been bored and wanting to go out to lunch/dinner with someone other than me for a while now. I can be by myself and be just fine I think she gets a little stir crazy being around just me for this long lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by goin2carolina View Post
C'mon y'all, lets quit beating the guy up for admitting he's unhappy and act like true Southerners and offer a helping hand here.....sheesh....
I don't think the Myrtle Beach Chamber of Commerce or the South Carolina Visitors Bureau ... even Nikki Haley could have done a better job of helping Scotty than the posters did with their suggestions.

One post by angelach is from Seattle and her husband is too and hates it here and issued an invitation ... people can meet in a public place (in case they are perverts or stalkers.) Scotty, his wife, angelach and her husband can commiserate together that would help.

You are wrong goin2carolina ... the natives here and the transplants have offered everything but their wisdom teeth and first born child to Scotty. You've got to admit ... Scotty driving from Wilmington ... what does he find ... Lord a'mercy he complained about the flat roads after having as he said a good time in Wilmington.

I am a true born and bred South Carolinian and I am not posting this to be un-southern or mean but if I was so unhappy come heck or high water I would pack my bags and head for Seattle. Life is too short to spend time in misery.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:17 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,031 posts, read 6,562,939 times
My Navy pilot nephew and his wife are stationed in Seattle. She is from Washington DC area. He was born in PA, but spent most of his young life in New Orleans and Houston TX. They hate Seattle...... Go figure.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:30 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,682,110 times
Default Love your post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
I don't think the Myrtle Beach Chamber of Commerce or the South Carolina Visitors Bureau ... even Nikki Haley could have done a better job of helping Scotty than the posters did with their suggestions.

One post by angelach is from Seattle and her husband is too and hates it here and issued an invitation ... people can meet in a public place (in case they are perverts or stalkers.) Scotty, his wife, angelach and her husband can commiserate together that would help.

You are wrong goin2carolina ... the natives here and the transplants have offered everything but their wisdom teeth and first born child to Scotty. You've got to admit ... Scotty driving from Wilmington ... what does he find ... Lord a'mercy he complained about the flat roads after having as he said a good time in Wilmington.

I am a true born and bred South Carolinian and I am not posting this to be un-southern or mean but if I was so unhappy come heck or high water I would pack my bags and head for Seattle. Life is too short to spend time in misery.
I love what you said! Perfect answer and funny, too! Especially enjoyed the part about the wisdom teeth and first born child.

Tried to rep you, but couldn't........So I'm writing this instead. Could not let that post go unacknowledged!

Old 01-06-2012, 03:51 PM

7 posts, read 8,505 times
I loved Carolina Woman's post. Nice to see someone who knows how to cut to the chase and tell it like it is.

Old 01-06-2012, 04:27 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,796,930 times
Can we stick to the OP? If he chooses not to take suggestions, thats up to him. If we have no more suggestions, then please post on another thread. Some of these posts are argumentative and I'm guessing that's not why he came on here. Thanks!

Last edited by Global Friend; 01-07-2012 at 09:32 AM..

Old 01-15-2012, 10:03 PM

214 posts, read 651,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
If you really read back through all the posts, you will see that almost everyone on here started out with hospitality, offered many suggestions of things for him to do and sympathized with his situation. A very few bashers from the get go, but most people made a sincere effort to offer suggestions and to help him.

It wasn't until NOTHING seemed to please him and about one time, maybe twice, did he ever thank anyone for trying to help that the bashing started.
I believe I have thanked people on here, not sure how often I need to say thank you I usually think once is sufficient but if I have not, thank you to all of the people that have offered worthwhile suggestions.

Plenty of things have "pleased" me. I have tried several suggestions that were given to me and will be trying several more as my schedule allows. Some worked out and some not.

People can say what ever they like about me as long as it does not violate the rules set forth on this forum, after all this is a public forum. Since I do not know anyone on here and they do not know me their opinion of me is meaningless and more or less entertainment to me.

With that said I have made an effort not to outright bash people and it would be nice if the other adults on this forum could find the maturity to do the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
My Navy pilot nephew and his wife are stationed in Seattle. She is from Washington DC area. He was born in PA, but spent most of his young life in New Orleans and Houston TX. They hate Seattle...... Go figure.
Sorry to hear that, if they are interested I could offer plenty of suggestions of things to do in the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizenrich View Post
I mean this with all due respect: You sir are a bore.

I've no dog in this fight but I've been to Sea-Tac and that place is nothing to brag about. The rising crescendo of cupcake shops and meth labs represents the very worst form of Post-Modernism. Seattle is a true blunted edge of culture.

I guess it's all relative. I'm a life long resident of NYC and found this message board because I wouldn't mind buying some half price waterfront house in a location with an Airport which has dozens of direct flights a day to my local airports.

I actually registered so I could call you out on your trolling lameness.
I agree with you 100% seatac is horrible, probably one of my least favorite areas in Washington besides maybe Federal Way. Seatac is not Seattle though. That's the equivalent of me saying I don't like New York City because I have been to Newark. Although none of that has anything to do with this thread.

I could careless if you think I'm boring although apparently I was exciting enough to prompt you to read this thread and post in here.

Anyways I have been filling my down time with restoring some furniture for the house which is new to me. Have never done anything with furniture restoration before. Not terribly exciting but kinda fun.

We have also been out to shop for a bike for my wife. Now that the weather has cooled off I think we may try some biking around the area. I know there is a trail that runs up hwy 17 but I would like to find something more out in the woods perhaps. I have seen some trails out in the Francis Marion Forest any one know if those are good for biking? or any that are?

Last edited by Scotty Dosent Know; 01-15-2012 at 10:24 PM..

Old 01-25-2012, 10:14 PM

145 posts, read 359,740 times
Default Where'd Everybody Go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty Dosent Know View Post
I believe I have thanked people on here, not sure how often I need to say thank you I usually think once is sufficient but if I have not, thank you to all of the people that have offered worthwhile suggestions.

Plenty of things have "pleased" me. I have tried several suggestions that were given to me and will be trying several more as my schedule allows. Some worked out and some not.

People can say what ever they like about me as long as it does not violate the rules set forth on this forum, after all this is a public forum. Since I do not know anyone on here and they do not know me their opinion of me is meaningless and more or less entertainment to me.

With that said I have made an effort not to outright bash people and it would be nice if the other adults on this forum could find the maturity to do the same.

Sorry to hear that, if they are interested I could offer plenty of suggestions of things to do in the area.

I agree with you 100% seatac is horrible, probably one of my least favorite areas in Washington besides maybe Federal Way. Seatac is not Seattle though. That's the equivalent of me saying I don't like New York City because I have been to Newark. Although none of that has anything to do with this thread.

I could careless if you think I'm boring although apparently I was exciting enough to prompt you to read this thread and post in here.

Anyways I have been filling my down time with restoring some furniture for the house which is new to me. Have never done anything with furniture restoration before. Not terribly exciting but kinda fun.

We have also been out to shop for a bike for my wife. Now that the weather has cooled off I think we may try some biking around the area. I know there is a trail that runs up hwy 17 but I would like to find something more out in the woods perhaps. I have seen some trails out in the Francis Marion Forest any one know if those are good for biking? or any that are?
Scotty, I cannot find fault with you. I think I can put myself in your place. You seem to have been open about everything. Seems this thread has helped you find a few things to do. If I remember correctly, you started out with a big 0 and lately you seem more positive. You've given a lot of attention to all the posts and have given equal attention to replying back to everyone. Maybe the longevity of this thread has helped also, by serving as a distraction and filling time you need to fill. I may sound like I'm trying to be some kind of mentor/counselor to you, or have myself up there as a know-it-all, but wondering if I am the only one on this thread who has the impression this thread has helped you substantially. At first, you seemed like you were in misery. Now you don't. Am I right or wrong? If right, I think if you can keep up the momentum you will be fine until your stint here is over.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:44 AM

936 posts, read 1,655,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingSouthGal View Post
Scotty, I cannot find fault with you. I think I can put myself in your place. You seem to have been open about everything. Seems this thread has helped you find a few things to do. If I remember correctly, you started out with a big 0 and lately you seem more positive. You've given a lot of attention to all the posts and have given equal attention to replying back to everyone. Maybe the longevity of this thread has helped also, by serving as a distraction and filling time you need to fill. I may sound like I'm trying to be some kind of mentor/counselor to you, or have myself up there as a know-it-all, but wondering if I am the only one on this thread who has the impression this thread has helped you substantially. At first, you seemed like you were in misery. Now you don't. Am I right or wrong? If right, I think if you can keep up the momentum you will be fine until your stint here is over.
I doubt what you are feeling; one arriving at this type climate (at least when this topic started) pretty much sets the mood, very different from Seattle (I can only imagine though). As we enter and bask in the winter of this region, he may have seen some positive aspects of a SC coastal winter. This is only my take on it but he has loosened up with the weather; it gets pretty stuffy down here for a time.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:10 PM

68 posts, read 175,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sddaisie View Post
OMG - I am in exactly the same situation. I moved from San Diego to a smaller city in Indiana. The same scenario. Nothing much to do, and all the meetups are right-wing, religious, or both. I get anxiety attacks imagining growing old here. I left for a great job, great pay and benefits, which really is amazing and for which I am grateful. But I gave up everything else including family and friends, I might as well be on the moon. Anyway, hang in there. You should only have 20 months left by now, I still have 22 to go! Lucky you.
Scotty and others, I am with you...I miss what I left behind also...have to wait until the housing market goes up enough to not lose so much on our home we bought here. Really Charleston is a small city and there is only so many times I can walk the Battery. I have seen most of the tourist places and in fact we drive up to Myrtle Beach often also now. So I'm trying to get out and do things but.....I get it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area