Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2012, 05:25 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. My friend and I are considering making a move from the Hartford, CT area to the Conway/Myrtle Beach area maybe sometime over the summer or fall. We visited the area for 5 days last summer and fell in love the the area. We enjoyed the warmth, beaches and relaxed atmosphere. We would love to own a property in a somewhat rural area with no neighbors. But there's one thing that concerns us, and I really hate to bring it up (especially in 2012), but we are both gay and in our mid/late 20's.

Having lived in the Northeast our entire lives, we are accustomed to a very tolerant, nondiscriminatory environment. We are told that most people in the deep south are opposed to gay people, especially for religious reasons. I have heard numerous stories of gays getting fired from jobs or becoming victims of violent or property crimes. I am not noticeably gay to most pepole; my friend, maybe a little more. And we don't hold hands in public, dress weird or anything like that. We are not the type to advertise our sexual orientation, but if asked, we would be honest and admit who we are. We are nonreligious as well and never intend to go to church. And politics wise, we are independent.

So, my question to you all, is this: How much of a concern should this really be for us? Are most southerners bothered if they found out that someone was gay or nonreligious? I have a master's degree with five years of tax accounting experience and would probably be working in an office environment. My friend would be going to school and working part-time.

So, should we be concerned? Or are we simply misinformed into thinking that the average deep southerner is bigoted against homosexuals and atheists?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 07:45 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
So, should we be concerned? Or are we simply misinformed into thinking that the average deep southerner is bigoted against homosexuals and atheists?
I think the average southerner would keep their opinions to themselves and be polite. However, some would be openly critical of gays (I am thinking of my brother-in-law who lives near Conway.) Churches also have a strong influence on many people in the south, and you might find a few people try to preach at you.

I am a former Connecticut resident, and I think you would be generally OK, but might have to develop a thicker skin about some things.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:46 PM

790 posts, read 1,621,095 times
I also moved here from CT. Most people in the MB area are transplants from elsewhere so attitudes are different from the rest of SC. I would guess that Conway is a little more conservative because it's further from the beach although it probably depends on where in Conway you live. Closer to the college would be less of a problem than living out in the country. But, overall, I'd agree with goldenage1, you'll probably be ok but have to learn to tolerate some things.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:51 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I think the average southerner would keep their opinions to themselves and be polite. However, some would be openly critical of gays (I am thinking of my brother-in-law who lives near Conway.) Churches also have a strong influence on many people in the south, and you might find a few people try to preach at you.

I am a former Connecticut resident, and I think you would be generally OK, but might have to develop a thicker skin about some things.
Well, I had one guy here in CT preach to me that I need to pray to God in order to save myself from being gay and prevent myself from going to hell. He was dead serious, too. I think he felt like he was trying to help me, and I just played along with it and told him that I didn't believe that would do anything. I just can't believe it's 2012 and modern day America still has this kind of discrimination going on.

Old 05-12-2012, 06:07 AM

790 posts, read 1,621,095 times
You'll have more than one guy do that here. Just be prepared.

Old 05-12-2012, 06:17 AM

672 posts, read 2,113,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTyankee54 View Post
You'll have more than one guy do that here. Just be prepared.
I agree and that example you gave would be a mild conversation.

Old 05-12-2012, 07:58 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I just can't believe it's 2012 and modern day America still has this kind of discrimination going on.
Read the article in the NYTimes about the "deeply held religious faith" behind the NC vote on gay marriage. You would have to accept that 95%+ of your neighbors believe in God, and many take the Bible literally, and many will "witness" their faith, especially in rural areas.

FWIW, the Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach areas of North Carolina are probably more accepting of diversity. Similar area, but it has a high unemployment rate. Please be sure you could find jobs.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:14 AM

142 posts, read 363,323 times
Myrtle Beach is a gay friendly place, if you were here last year and did not notice you were not looking, there are many gay clubs especially in the downtown/superblock area.

As others have stated people are from all over in this County as a side, I have friends who are gay and live in NC, it's even nuttier as they are inter-racial, they have been together for at least 20 years, a few years ago they bought property out in the country to build their dream home, they lived in a trailer while building, and they always heard gunfire from the adjoining property which is fenced in a and gated, come to find out it is owned by the head of the KKK in NC, they have never had an issue with their neighbor,

Gary

Old 05-26-2012, 03:24 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,876,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary2beach View Post
Myrtle Beach is a gay friendly place, if you were here last year and did not notice you were not looking, there are many gay clubs especially in the downtown/superblock area.

As others have stated people are from all over in this County as a side, I have friends who are gay and live in NC, it's even nuttier as they are inter-racial, they have been together for at least 20 years, a few years ago they bought property out in the country to build their dream home, they lived in a trailer while building, and they always heard gunfire from the adjoining property which is fenced in a and gated, come to find out it is owned by the head of the KKK in NC, they have never had an issue with their neighbor,

Gary
Ouch! Talk about a bad real estate decision! Seriously though, it's hard to believe there is still a KKK in 2012. I know they have done horrible, awful things in the past, but I find them sad and pathetic. I can't imagine how brainwashed one would have to be to part of such a hateful group.

To the OP, I think you and your partner will be fine, just avoid the rural areas. If you venture into the smaller towns, be prepared for the small town looks and stares. If you stay in MB and surrounding towns, I don't imagine you would be bothered whatsoever. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area