Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2007, 12:38 PM

1,028 posts, read 3,082,598 times

Advertisements

I AM A SOCIAL WORKER WHO IS CONSIDERING MOVING TO MYRTLE BEACH, OR SOMEWHERE AROUND IT. I HAVE GOTTEN SOME GOOD FEEDBACK THUS FAR, BUT WOULD LIKE TO KNOW A LITTLE BIT MORE ABOUT CONWAY, LONGS, SOCASTEE, ETC. MY WIFE AND I LOVE THE WATER, AND THE TOURISTY STUFF DOESN'T REALLY BOTHER US, SEEING AS WE ARE STILL LIKE A COUPLE OF TEENAGERS AT HEART. WE HEAR THAT CONWAY IS OK, BUT CAN SOMEBODY GIVE US SOME DETAILED INFO ON HOUSING, RECREATION, ETC. WE DON'T WANT TO BE IN A CRAZY PART OF TOWN, BUT WE ALSO DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO DRIVE TWENTY MINUTES TO THE NEAREST GROCERY STORE. CAN YOU GIVE A FUTURE TRANSPLANT (I HATE THAT WORD) SOME INSIDE INFO?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 10:48 PM

21 posts, read 178,116 times
lol transplant is a stupid word but so is "boomeranger" which is what I am!

I really like Conway. I am from Myrtle Beach and when I moved to Ohio with my mom 15 years ago Conway was just a spit in the road. Now its an extension of the beach! Traffic can be pretty congested during tourist season just like in Myrtle Beach itself but when you're "local" you learn the back roads around traffic which helps a lot. Plus Conway is close enough to Myrtle Beach that you can drive there whenever you want and not drive far back if you don't want to deal with some of the craziness that comes along with life in Myrtle Beach.

Carolina Forest, which is connected to Conway is also a really nice area and full of transplants, but too expensive for me.

Anywhere in Myrtle Beach or near the coast there are things to do. I don't foresee you ever driving 20 minutes to a grocery store, unless traffic is just that bad! There are grocery stores (and every other type of store) everywhere at the beach (and in South Carolina in general) so that's not an issue!

I don't know anything about Longs but I have family in Socastee and it's ok there. It still has elements of its past "little country town" beginnings but all in all it, too, is becoming an extension of Myrtle Beach.

Have you also considered North Myrtle Beach, Surfside Beach, or Garden City? They are all still on the coast right on the Atlantic. They are all full of traffic as well but I would say the tourist season seems a bit shorter there. Plus, as with the others, you can find ways around the back roads to somewhat avoid traffic jams and tourists. All of the areas are beautiful! My dad lives in Myrtle Beach but I usually opt to stay at a friend's house in North Myrtle Beach near the Coquina Harbor. I love that area and for some reason think it has more "class" than Myrtle Beach itself. (That might be my own mental thing though!)

Housing prices can be found on this forum, there are a lot of posts. But anywhere on the coast is more pricey than houses and rentals that are inland (like Aynor, even Florence, etc.) When I looked houses were as low as 115-130k but generally more around 200,000+.

I hope I helped y'all some and hopefully you can make an informed decision. Just read the other posts on here and look up some of the city data!! Good luck!!

Last edited by skyfire43221; 10-15-2007 at 10:50 PM.. Reason: So it makes more sense :)

Old 10-16-2007, 07:29 AM

543 posts, read 2,364,270 times
I left you a message concerning Socastee on the other thread.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:51 PM

1,028 posts, read 3,082,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfire43221 View Post

I really like Conway. I am from Myrtle Beach and when I moved to Ohio with my mom 15 years ago Conway was just a spit in the road. Now its an extension of the beach! Traffic can be pretty congested during tourist season just like in Myrtle Beach itself but when you're "local" you learn the back roads around traffic which helps a lot. Plus Conway is close enough to Myrtle Beach that you can drive there whenever you want and not drive far back if you don't want to deal with some of the craziness that comes along with life in Myrtle Beach.

Carolina Forest, which is connected to Conway is also a really nice area and full of transplants, but too expensive for me.

Anywhere in Myrtle Beach or near the coast there are things to do. I don't foresee you ever driving 20 minutes to a grocery store, unless traffic is just that bad! There are grocery stores (and every other type of store) everywhere at the beach (and in South Carolina in general) so that's not an issue!

I don't know anything about Longs but I have family in Socastee and it's ok there. It still has elements of its past "little country town" beginnings but all in all it, too, is becoming an extension of Myrtle Beach.

Have you also considered North Myrtle Beach, Surfside Beach, or Garden City? They are all still on the coast right on the Atlantic. They are all full of traffic as well but I would say the tourist season seems a bit shorter there. Plus, as with the others, you can find ways around the back roads to somewhat avoid traffic jams and tourists. All of the areas are beautiful! My dad lives in Myrtle Beach but I usually opt to stay at a friend's house in North Myrtle Beach near the Coquina Harbor. I love that area and for some reason think it has more "class" than Myrtle Beach itself. (That might be my own mental thing though!)

Housing prices can be found on this forum, there are a lot of posts. But anywhere on the coast is more pricey than houses and rentals that are inland (like Aynor, even Florence, etc.) When I looked houses were as low as 115-130k but generally more around 200,000+.

I hope I helped y'all some and hopefully you can make an informed decision. Just read the other posts on here and look up some of the city data!! Good luck!!
Thanks so much for the info. So all in all, would you say Conway has elements of country life intermingled with convenience? I am wondering, I have thought about Surfside, Murrel's Inlet, Etc., but I was under the impression that these were towns that people mostly either used as second homes, or retired to. Am I wrong? I would be concerned about not being able to find a job close by (social work), but I probably don't have my facts straight. Can you enlighten me?

Old 10-16-2007, 06:19 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,957,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvjd View Post
Thanks so much for the info. So all in all, would you say Conway has elements of country life intermingled with convenience? I am wondering, I have thought about Surfside, Murrel's Inlet, Etc., but I was under the impression that these were towns that people mostly either used as second homes, or retired to. Am I wrong? I would be concerned about not being able to find a job close by (social work), but I probably don't have my facts straight. Can you enlighten me?
All the towns mentioned, Myrtle Beach, N Myrtle, Surfside, Murrells Inlet, Conway are all within an hour. All have people living there year round and some have second homes.

Old 10-16-2007, 06:22 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,957,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfire43221 View Post

Shoosh........don't mention the back roads

Old 10-19-2007, 03:08 PM

21 posts, read 178,116 times
lol sorry sheena, but yeah pvjd, there are some of us who actually live in those places year round!!

i dont know how hard it is to get a job in social work here-- i study clinical psych but anywhere you go, like sheena said, is within an hour's drive or less. any of the places you mentioned are all connected to each other and all close, think of them like suburbs of a bigger town/city

and there's a lot of retired people everywhere in the south!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area