Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 09:24 AM

214 posts, read 649,536 times

Advertisements

Thanks I will have to give flying fish a try. I have a house guest flying in on Wed. so maybe we will give that a shot and try a new place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
First post two year lease: Second Post one year lease:

Ok ... do you have your resume ready? April is just around the corner and you need to be applying now if you plan to get out of here at the end of your one year lease.

I sincerely hope you find work in the NW but it's not going to come down your street and knock on your door. Times are hard right now and you need to get on the ball looking for a job in Seattle or that general area.

Go Home Scotty ... make you wife and yourself happy ... have a house full of little children and in later years tell them about the time you lived in South Carolina. It's been said over and over life is too short to be miserable.
First post was a typo I have a one year lease. I'm going to try to go month to month after my lease is up. My landlord is a pretty nice guy and I have made quite a few improvements to the property so I'm hoping he will go for that.

I know times are hard that's what led me to a job here lol I actually have been on the ball looking for a job either back home or keeping my eyes open in the LA area. I received a call from the company I work for 2 weeks ago that they just got a large account in WA and wanted to let me know. It would only be part time work now but would grow into a full time position which would be nice. So there is the possibility to move home and work part time + take on work from a 2nd company to tide me over.

Honestly I could move home and get work from several places any time I want, but it would not be in the field I came out here for. That would make coming out here and getting the experience in this job pretty much pointless which im not going to allow to happen. Im not going to sacrifice a good career to go running back home I would rather be unhappy for a couple years and get the experience that will make the rest of my life better.

Oh and no kids, I dont like them to much

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyMc View Post
Scotty,

We do like Mr. Fish in Myrtle Beach. Very casual and inexpensive but great fish...my husband's from Boston and he knows good fish. It's right on King's Highway. We like Jestine's on Meeting Street. Also the Charleston Farmer's Market is a good place to spend a Sat. (10 to 2). Starts again in April. They have the best gyro's, Greek potatoes, breakfast crepes, etc. there. BTW you have responded with respect and courtesy to all posters even those who "lost their manners" for awhile. You can't help the way you feel that's why Dorothy said, "There's no place like Home!" Someday you'll be back where you need to be...hang in there, lots of us transplants understand.
Hey thanks for the suggestions! I will have to give Mr. Fish a try....we have been trying a lot of different restaurants since we have been here and have finally found a couple that we would go back to.

I will also have to give the farmers market a try....maybe kind of like Pike Place market? I think we may have eaten dinner in that area a couple weeks ago. Is it behind that "Daughters of the Confederacy" building? I noticed several long open buildings back there wondering what they were.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 06:49 AM

40 posts, read 100,398 times
The Surge? Puleeze. All it has are advertisements for bars and strip clubs.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:22 AM

1,124 posts, read 1,715,421 times
The current Beaches and Lowcountry Companion are both out now.....

Old 06-06-2012, 10:07 PM

19 posts, read 72,708 times
It sounds to me like you are not a "small town" kind of guy, and PI certainly has that "small town" feel. Pawleys Island is a beautiful place, but you are right that it feels like there isn't much to do if you're accustomed to having the amenities that come along with living in a metropolitan area like Seattle. I really enjoyed my job in PI and loved the people, but I am moving this summer to the Charlotte area simply because I am a city person... always have been and always will be. I love the beaches and the local joints in Georgetown and Horry counties, but quite frankly, I miss the museums, diversity and cultural experiences that come along with living in a metropolitan area, which is why I am leaving. This area will always be special to me, though.

I would suggest hitting Myrtle Beach up if you're looking for something new. Also, Brookgreen Gardens is virtually in your backyard and is gorgeous! My husband and I were addicted to Nacho Hippo while we lived in the area; the Market Common is a great place to go on the weekends. Check out some shows at House of Blues. Now that summer is here, there is so much more to do in the area if you're willing to deal with the traffic and tourists.

Hang in there, and chalk this up as just one more experience in your life; now you know that PI isn't your cup of tea, but you never would have known if you hadn't ventured out here.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:44 PM

Been to Myrtle a million times by now and done Brookgreen X5 lol I do actually like Nacho Hippo they have a fish taco there that is pretty good, we go there semi often.

My lease is up January 1st and the wife and I decided we have had all we can take. We are packing up a moving truck in December and going to try to be home by Christmas. Sometime between now and the first of the year need to figure jobs out but whatever at this point.

Having an "end date" has put me in a better mood lol

Old 06-16-2012, 08:40 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,772,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty Dosent Know View Post
Been to Myrtle a million times by now and done Brookgreen X5 lol I do actually like Nacho Hippo they have a fish taco there that is pretty good, we go there semi often.

My lease is up January 1st and the wife and I decided we have had all we can take. We are packing up a moving truck in December and going to try to be home by Christmas. Sometime between now and the first of the year need to figure jobs out but whatever at this point.

That's great, I hope it all works out for you!

Old 06-16-2012, 09:37 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,825,064 times
Quote:
...Having an "end date" has put me in a better mood lol
Ditto to what Rapture said. It sounds like you reached the only reasonable decision. Now hopefully, this thread can be put to rest, which will put all of us in a better mood.

BTW, you're driving too far for fish tacos. Quigley's has a killer blackened mahi taco served with an excellent salsa verde.

Old 06-16-2012, 05:27 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,962,389 times
Quote:

Hallelujah and Congratulations Scotty!

In 25 or 30 years you will look back upon the time spent in South Carolina fondly.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:00 PM

1,124 posts, read 1,715,421 times
Well Scotty, sorry it didn't work out for you, but that's the way it goes...you never know unless you try, right?
Just remember, if you ever decide that you'd like to return for a visit, we'll leave the light on for ya'...cuz that is just the way we Southerners do things.
Best of luck to you

Old 06-17-2012, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
Ditto to what Rapture said. It sounds like you reached the only reasonable decision. Now hopefully, this thread can be put to rest, which will put all of us in a better mood.

BTW, you're driving too far for fish tacos. Quigley's has a killer blackened mahi taco served with an excellent salsa verde.

Thanks for good wishes guys! In January I will have lived here 2 years and have seen/done a lot. Even though it has definitely not been my favorite experience im glad I stuck it out because it was worth it for the 2 years job experience. Now that I have the experience it should be easier to find a job where I want and that is what the whole move was about. It would have been nice if I liked it here but the job was more important in the long run than living some where I liked.

Pawleys Dude - I have been into Quigleys quite a few times and have had the Mahi tacos which were pretty good. The owner is actually a former Seattleite, Josh I think?? and is a pretty nice guy. When we first got out there it was one of the only restaurants that I actually wanted to return to but slowly stopped going after we were not happy with the food a couple times so I kinda forgot about it. I will probably go check it out again though next week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area