Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 10:49 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,073,569 times

Advertisements

I totally understand how you feel, having moved from the West Coast to the Carolinas many years ago.

Everything was a shock--the weather, the culture, the food, etc.

Having said that, PAWLEYS ISLAND is one of the most beautiful areas on the East Coast. I can't believe that you cannot appreciate the natural beauty of the beaches, the trees, etc.

It is unrealistic to expect the same activities like snowboarding, although in the winter you can certainly go to the ski areas in the Virginias or farther north. You could, as others have suggested, try other activities like windsurfing.

I also agree that you should make an effort to see as much of the East Coast as you can while you are here. Charleston is a world class city, and although not the size of Seattle, offers plenty of charm, shopping, and fine dining. And it is only a hop, skip, and a jump.

I would also recommend Savannah, Orlando (not easy to get to Disney World from Seattle), Washington, D.C., Atlanta, Asheville or the surrounding mountains, St. Augustine, cruises that leave from Charleston, etc.

P.S. Have a baby. That will keep you and your wife busy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 01:18 PM

On the flip side, I also think you need to develop an attitude of gratitude.

You have a very good job and your wife has a good job.

That alone is more than millions of Americans have right now.

You live in a beautiful area that although may not be your beloved Seattle, is still better than about 75% of the other places you could be living. You have access to the beach, which many people would gladly trade you for.

You are young and you have your health.

You can explore new places and try new things.

You have a life partner. Again, that is more than many people have.

I would say, the main thing that needs adjusting is your outlook.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:48 AM

166 posts, read 304,509 times
Hey Scotty-
I was thinking about your situation and tried to come up with something really outside the box for you to consider. This isn't near where you're located, so travel is needed, but had you considered hang gliding up at Kill Devil Hills NC? They give lessons and rent gliders at Jockey's Ridge.

You didn't say what line of work you are in....what do you do for a living?

Old 09-20-2011, 08:22 AM

819 posts, read 1,592,812 times
Plan on going to the Charleston Oyster Festival the last weekend in Jan. There'll be thousands of people. It is held at Boone Hall just outside of Mt Pleasant. Hope you will learn to enjoy our part of the world. Ride up to Georgetown one Saturday, it is a beautiful little fishing village with great people and even greater food!

Old 09-20-2011, 02:16 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,347,236 times
I'm thinking that Scotty isn't reading this thread anymore, as it's been about a month since his last visit. And, after reading some of his comments on the Seattle Forum, calling SC the worst place he's ever been amongst other things, I don't think anything will change his mind. Hey, Scotty: Spend 1 winter (all 6 months of it) here in West Michigan and that'll make you feel much better about Pawleys. I'd trade places with ya in a second, but I'm stuck in a place I also hate.

Funny, but I had a good friend who couldn't wait to leave Seattle and called it the worst place on earth. Funny how one person's hell is another's heaven. Life is too short, go back to Seattle if you hate SC so much. More elbow room for me when I finally arrive.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:52 PM

214 posts, read 649,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNKY View Post
I'm thinking that Scotty isn't reading this thread anymore, as it's been about a month since his last visit. And, after reading some of his comments on the Seattle Forum, calling SC the worst place he's ever been amongst other things, I don't think anything will change his mind. Hey, Scotty: Spend 1 winter (all 6 months of it) here in West Michigan and that'll make you feel much better about Pawleys. I'd trade places with ya in a second, but I'm stuck in a place I also hate.

Funny, but I had a good friend who couldn't wait to leave Seattle and called it the worst place on earth. Funny how one person's hell is another's heaven. Life is too short, go back to Seattle if you hate SC so much. More elbow room for me when I finally arrive.
I didnt know that this thread took off lol I actually just got back to SC last week after driving my moving truck across country finally with all my belongings in it. Been pretty busy with that, getting my sister and her husband into my house in Seattle and work.

And yes I pretty much feel that SC is one of the worst places I have been....for an extended time at least. I mean I have been stuck in places like the DMV but you always know that you are going to be able to leave in a couple hours.

I could make a list of the things I ACTUALLY really dont like if any one is interested but I doubt any one wants to hear my ramblings on SC culture, education, economics, government, climate etc. LOL

Obviously there are tons of people that love SC......im just not one of them. I have never been to Michigan but I would be willing to give it a shot as long as its cold there! haha I have a house off south causeway a few blocks from the beach if you want to trade

Quote:
Originally Posted by goin2carolina View Post
Hey Scotty-
I was thinking about your situation and tried to come up with something really outside the box for you to consider. This isn't near where you're located, so travel is needed, but had you considered hang gliding up at Kill Devil Hills NC? They give lessons and rent gliders at Jockey's Ridge.

You didn't say what line of work you are in....what do you do for a living?
That actually sounds like a fun and interesting idea and one I may have to look into. My parents used to go hang gliding in Hawaii and always sounded fun Plus from what I have seen driving through it on my way here I actually like NC, I plan to get up there fairly often to check it out.

I am an insurance claims adjuster for home insurance. My territory here is the entire east coast of SC from NC border down to Bluffton/Hilton Head area. Trust me I have been to more of SC in the 9 months I have lived here than most locals have their whole lives LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by goin2carolina View Post
This is an very intersting thread...and Scotty, while I feel your pain I have to say that you have the power to make it or not where you are. "Bloom where you're planted"!
In the South your winter activity fix is not going to happen unless you vacation elsewhere, so how about trying to adapt your skill set to a similar sport....for instance, you like snowboarding...how about skateboarding or as someone suggested, kiteboarding? You mentioned that you have found some guys interested cars, so find out where the car clubs meet and when the shows are!
I note that you haven't mentioned trying to explore the surrounding areas like Myrtle Beach or further our like Charleston...any particular reason?
Having just left the west coast, I understand your situation...Seattle is one of those unique areas that would literally be impossible to replicate, without question. But honestly, do you really miss all the rain and the gray days and the constantcy of that?
And what about your wife? Is she also miserable? If not, then perhaps you can follow her lead. And in that regard, do you dance? If not, try taking shag lessons! Its a ton of fun.
So, I guess what I want to convey is that most people are about as happy as they make up their mind to be. My family moved 7 times before I was in 6th grade and I've moved 9 times in my married life with two of those being x-country and another from Florida to Indiana, so I think I have experienced about all there is to encounter in the range of culture shock in my lifetime. If I learned anything its that keeping an open mind and trying to embrace the 'new' works tons better than lamenting what you've left behind.
I am going to try to find some things to do as far as cars out here since it was my main hobby back home. Charleston has a "Cars and Coffee" meet Saturday mornings so now that I had my other car shipped out here im going to give that a shot.

Yes I honestly miss the overcast and rainy days. I hate the weather here....and not just here I really do not like being any where that is regularly over 70 degrees. Sun + heat = no bueno If it could be perpetually 55 and overcast I would be in heaven, My favorite time of the year is Fall/Winter especially if we have a hard winter. My wife on the other hand likes warm weather because she can wear shorts, skirts etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
I totally understand how you feel, having moved from the West Coast to the Carolinas many years ago.

Everything was a shock--the weather, the culture, the food, etc.

Having said that, PAWLEYS ISLAND is one of the most beautiful areas on the East Coast. I can't believe that you cannot appreciate the natural beauty of the beaches, the trees, etc.

It is unrealistic to expect the same activities like snowboarding, although in the winter you can certainly go to the ski areas in the Virginias or farther north. You could, as others have suggested, try other activities like windsurfing.

I also agree that you should make an effort to see as much of the East Coast as you can while you are here. Charleston is a world class city, and although not the size of Seattle, offers plenty of charm, shopping, and fine dining. And it is only a hop, skip, and a jump.

I would also recommend Savannah, Orlando (not easy to get to Disney World from Seattle), Washington, D.C., Atlanta, Asheville or the surrounding mountains, St. Augustine, cruises that leave from Charleston, etc.

P.S. Have a baby. That will keep you and your wife busy.
I would have to disagree with you on Pawleys being one of the most beautiful areas on the east coast. Honestly its a flat, hot, swamp with a long sandy non descript beach. Even the beach is boring......not even a rock to skip. The only this interesting about the beach here is the people.

Now that's just my opinion, there are plenty of places on the east coast I think are more beautiful than here.....even NC I like better.

I have been to Charleston and I like parts of it beter than the MB area but its still just ehhhh. Every time I go there I think "this place has been here for 300 years......and this is all of it???" lol We have spent a couple weekends down there exploring and its a nice city with lots of great food! but still feels kinda small time to me.

and No on the kids lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachyMJ View Post
Plan on going to the Charleston Oyster Festival the last weekend in Jan. There'll be thousands of people. It is held at Boone Hall just outside of Mt Pleasant. Hope you will learn to enjoy our part of the world. Ride up to Georgetown one Saturday, it is a beautiful little fishing village with great people and even greater food!
I will have to give the oyster festival a shot since I like oysters and my wife likes boone hall.

I am in Georgetown ALLLLL the time for work.....other than the 8 historic blocks and the river front street......its a dump lol Although the Rice Paddy has good food and I like Lands End for lunch.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:11 AM

75 posts, read 195,869 times
Give it up, folks! He's determined to be unhappy and boorish. His happiness (or his preference for the lack of it) is in his own hands.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:07 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,027 posts, read 6,545,870 times
I love it here (Murrells Inlet), Naples Florida and Lakewood NJ. The weather (temp and avoiding snow and ice) is the only factor that keeps me moving between.........

Old 09-29-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty Dosent Know View Post

I would have to disagree with you on Pawleys being one of the most beautiful areas on the east coast. Honestly its a flat, hot, swamp with a long sandy non descript beach. Even the beach is boring......not even a rock to skip.

http://www.pawleysislandhomesite.com/images/DSCF7462.jpg (broken link)

If you truly cannot appreciate the beauty of a place like this--even if it is not your preference--then you must be a miserable person indeed.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:25 PM

10 posts, read 93,900 times
Plenty of local fresh seafood to dine on everyday

Great restaurants

Good scenery

Great place to go fishing

Plenty of Wildlife Management Area around to hunt

Within driving distance to shopping for your wife

The ocean is right out your front door.

What else are you looking for? I would certainly hope not 10' of snow.

* shoot me a pm if your company is looking to hire an adjuster, I don't live far away and need a good job and you can then transfer back to Seattle. Win-Win for everyone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area