Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 08:31 AM

89 posts, read 252,106 times

Advertisements

Just curious my dear...if this place isn't dying...where is there to get a good job making more than $9.00 per hour here? Oh and please do not tell me doctor, lawyer, teacher, etc...I am talking about a position for the average person that has spent their career in an university setting and made $9.00 per hour back in the 80's??? My point is missed as usual..."rolling of the eyes"...I am presently working in a position within the construction field...and "yes" there are many many folks from the north coming here and building homes for the "retirement"....this is one of the only things that is keeping the economy going here in Myrtle Beach....
Now, when I drive to Atlanta and through Washington DC and see all the hustle and bustle and the economy booming....and I get a rush from all the people, shopping, cultural events, etc...and then I have to come back here....yes....to me....it is dead...sorry this is my opinion.....May I also add so happy you have found happiness here in the Grand Strand....enjoy your day!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 06:23 AM

936 posts, read 1,653,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by symbasmommy View Post
Just curious my dear...if this place isn't dying...where is there to get a good job making more than $9.00 per hour here?
symba, this place is and always has been a resort and services jobs are the 'local' economy. Except for construction, in the past construction of resorts and later, the residential flood. Understand that service jobs (which is why the 'local' community wasn't stayin on top of the hill) are not industry; Boeing is industry, BMW is industry, Bridgestone is industry; sorry they aren't located among Myrtles' 100 or so golf courses. You'll have to go inland to use yer degree. Notice the tobacco and soybean farms while driving in (or at least used to be). Used to be a very poor region except for the tourists.

Now you could take a chance and start something on yer own ...

and to touch on the topic, it is a shame op doesn't play golf; it has certainly been nice down here the last three months. One can easily expect to play 300 days / yr if so desire. AND change courses each play...

Old 11-20-2011, 08:41 AM

214 posts, read 650,737 times
Yea every one down here plays golf.....not my thing lol Maybe in 15 years when my knees are completely done I will give it a shot lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by goin2carolina View Post
Well getting back to our pal Scotty (the op)...
So, how is it going by now? Have you found any outlets? Particularly, did you ever try the hang gliding in KDH?

Honestly I have not really found any outlet since I have posted last time. I just work way to much which has added to the problem. I have been working roughly 10-14hr days, 7 days a week just to keep from getting behind. Its making me not like it here even more even though I understand its the job and nothing to do with SC.

I did take yesterday off though and took my wife to the standard dinner and a movie. We went to Lands End in Georgetown because I dont really know where else to go. We have been disappointed by so many local restaurants im afraid to try new ones. Other than the one or two we like. Espically Mexican food I cant find a good restaurant to save my life

So if any one could suggest any good places to eat that would be fantastic, especially mexican food. I will eat at Habanero's but its just "ok" we tried La Playa in pawleys and that was just about the worst mexican food I have ever had lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingSouthGal View Post
I posted on this thread a few weeks ago so I forget scotty...'s age but I think it's 30. It may be becoming a senior area but I must mention two families, including mine have at least one young semi-retiree, ages 44 and 58. The 44 y o has a 33 y o wife. I am a very young 58 -- not typical retiree. I want to do so many things when I move to MB, things I haven't been able to do so far. My dream is to be a senior amateur ballroom dancer, and to take up a musical instrument. We're not all "old fogies" Also just another thought, when I met my husband I was 39, not much older than scotty...., the last 20 years flew by..I know 20 years is a long time but it went very fast. I don't think he should stay in MB for the next 20 years just because it goes fast though. I strongly think he will not be happy in a place like MB because he's just not a southeast beach resort type person. I don't see how MB is dying. As some evidence, see the 17+ pages in the thread about newcomers and hopefuls to MB (starts with Anyone else planning...or something similar). On this thread people are posting about how they are dying to get out of the cold in the North. At least two posters have relocated to MB since the thread was started back in April. Dying???? Seems like the exact opposite to me. Just to clarify the NORTHERNERS (like me) are dying to get to MB. MB surely does nto seem to be dying. LOL Oh and by the way, a comment to an earlier post in this thread: wintersports, and people who make friends with only specific types or are not really social almost NEVER like dancing. I've noticed that over the years.

Yes I am 31 and while I realize that 31 is not far off of 39 my wife is 24 and defiantly not wanting to hang out with 40yr olds lol I really do not either plus I look like I am in my early 20's so most people my age or older are not really interested in hanging out because I look so young. Also people at age 30 out here just seen to have a completely different mind set than most of my friends back home. Im not really into that whole pop out 3 kids and go to church 4 days a week thing. In fact I dont go to church......and that seems to put a lot of people off here lol

We are going to visit some of my wife's step family for Thanksgiving which we have never met up in NC lol So that should be fun/interesting and something to do since we are not flying home for the holidays. We are also going to a neighborhood BBQ in about a week so hopefully we will have fun there.

So anyways im just keeping my nose to the grind stone and am working hard to pay off our debt and save up money so we can get out of here and purchase another house in north Seattle. My lease is up in July so I am going to start applying for jobs back home in maybe feb/march. My wife is very unhappy here also so even if I dont find something right away I may send her our stuff and our dogs back home to go house shopping. In that case I would try and find someplace out here month to month where I can continue to work for a bit untill I get a job back home.

On a different note the weather here is finally getting nice

Old 11-20-2011, 04:05 PM

62 posts, read 125,507 times
Scotty,

You might want to try Burro Loco for some Mexican food. Off 17 bypass in Myrtle Beach near Joe White Blvd.

I just bought a vacation condo here earlier in the month and I could not be happier, of course it's easier for me I have family in the area.

Have been visiting since 1968 my first job was in MB 40 years ago, back then I guess child labor laws didn't exist lol I was 13 at the time & lived w/my cousins & aunt on base...I still have my orig check stub! Ton's of changes since those days, some good, some not so much.

BTW far from retirement, early 50's, I don't golf. Well, I mini golf! I have met sooooooo many folks all ages from all over the map. I always ask what made them move, what they like about it, and what they don't.

Most say the four letter word " snow "...

Wishing you all the best.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:54 AM

89 posts, read 252,106 times
Scotty,

Sounds like a great plan for you and your wife....best wishes to you in getting back home....

Old 11-25-2011, 10:11 AM

2 posts, read 3,867 times
Your subject caught my eye, but then when I read the body of your post, it was just strange... in that I am from Seattle (grew up there until leaving 1.5 years ago), met my now-husband in Seattle, and we now live in Myrtle Beach (near the Market Common) and have struggled with living here to the point that we were convinced we would move back to Seattle in March when our lease is up. We also moved here for a business opportunity for my husband, which has very recently started to take a sharp upward turn, so at least that is a positive. Anyway, it just sounds like we are in very similar boats. We also have two dogs - about 1.5 year old Lab/Aust. Shep. mix. The only thing that has started to help is to find other interesting people to get to know and hang out with. This is a tall order considering it is the south and nearly everyone/thing is backwards here, but we have found a few and are always on the lookout for more. If you and your wife are interested in new friends, even for a short while, we're here and would love to complain about the area and reminisce about Seattle with people who actually understand. Also, we are atheists, I'm 28, my husband is 30, no kids, haaaaate the weather here and don't really go out to restaurants much because most just serve fried, salty grease bombs.

Last edited by angelach; 11-25-2011 at 10:54 AM..

Old 11-25-2011, 11:26 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,836,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelach View Post
...considering it is the south and nearly everyone/thing is backwards here...
LOL!!! Well, I guess I resemble that remark. Darlin', down here we have a name for ladies like you. We don't use it in polite company, but it rhymes with witch. As my Grandmomma always said, please don't let the screen door hit you in the @_$_$ on your way out, but please hurry, it's migrants like you that's contaminating this place.

Old 11-25-2011, 12:04 PM

2 posts, read 3,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
LOL!!! Well, I guess I resemble that remark. Darlin', down here we have a name for ladies like you. We don't use it in polite company, but it rhymes with witch. As my Grandmomma always said, please don't let the screen door hit you in the @_$_$ on your way out, but please hurry, it's migrants like you that's contaminating this place.
I'm not really one for name calling, and I tend to be much more accepting than the typical southerner, but don't worry, PawleysDude, I stay far away from people like you

Old 11-25-2011, 02:39 PM

166 posts, read 304,880 times
Cultural differences are what make our country interesting, IMO. You may not find a fit for your personal needs everywhere, but it can be an fun adventure if you are willing to keep an open mind.
The trick seems to be learning to "fit in" as opposed trying to change generations of thought to suit YOU better.
One of the most difficult changes we have encountered is the east coast/west coast one; the whole ideology of living is so different! But it doesn't mean that it can't work out...I should know, I've done it 4 times.
It probably is a lot more difficult to be a west cost native and move to the southeastern part of the country; the climate is soooo different and the summers are brutal in comparison, not to mention the slower paces of life and more conservative point of view.
But in any event, adopting a "trash the locals" point of view will only ensure your misery and make it harder for you to make friends.

Old 11-25-2011, 03:38 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,351,498 times
PawleysDude, that does it. You deserve this:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area