Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 08:48 AM

1 posts, read 2,766 times

Advertisements

Water sports are big here! Try scuba diving! There are many scuba diving groups/companies that are totally involved here. Also and especially on weekends, many like to go jet skiing out to the barrier islands for fun and sun. You have to apply yourself and make friends to your liking so you can enjoy your time here on the Grand Strand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 02:38 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,738,090 times
Anyone who can refer to fellow human beings as "annoyingly friendly" is going to have a hard time finding happiness. Wishing you the best.

Old 08-27-2011, 05:42 PM

214 posts, read 649,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Anyone who can refer to fellow human beings as "annoyingly friendly" is going to have a hard time finding happiness. Wishing you the best.

LOL not sure why but I found "fellow human beings" pretty funny for some reason.

I stopped by surf the earth and I am probably going to rent/buy a kayak and see how that goes.

Someone in here mentioned nascar........ehhhh I know its big down here but where im from its kind of like taking monster truck racing serious lol I did however find a couple people that are into the same kind of cars that I am into so we will see how that goes. Hopefully that will tide me over until I leave.

Signed my lease on 7/1/11 and have set my date to leave 7/1/13. 2 months down 22 to go

Old 08-27-2011, 06:04 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,948,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty Dosent Know View Post
I moved to Pawleys Island for a job back in January because I could not pass up the job opportunity and the money.........the only problem is I hate it here.....hate is putting it as nicely as I can. I will most likely be stuck here for the next 2-3 years.

None of the activity's I used to do are here like snowboarding, snowmobiling, and road racing. Some I guess are here like wake boarding and hiking but im pretty much miserable out side here and I refuse to go in lakes down here.

I guess other than bitching im wondering if there is anything to do here other than waste time loafing around the beach. Im 30 if that helps......im just looking to get involved in some thing to prevent me from quitting my job, breaking lease and driving back to Seattle.

The same road that took you there will take you right back where you came from, so the answer is simple, go home.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:03 PM

214 posts, read 649,593 times
Thanks for the advise all this time I had not thought of just going home

I would go home if that was a viable option but at this point in time it is not. Im not breaking lease, im not abandoning a company that flew me out here and trained me. If I could get a job doing what im doing making the money im making back home right now I would not have moved here.

Hopefully in 2 years I will have enough experience to obtain a job doing what im doing on the west coast somewhere but until then the smart move is to be stuck here, save money and try to tolerate it. That is why I made this thread for suggestions of things that will help me not be so miserable until I go home.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:25 AM

245 posts, read 1,019,610 times
Check out Geocaching - The Official Global GPS Cache Hunt Site

Tons of them around and will take you places you never knew existed. And you can even meet new people.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:06 PM

1,143 posts, read 2,873,091 times
If we do the same things we have always done, we will get the same results we have always gotten. Bottom line is something has to change for you to be happy for the next two years. There are only three choices: change your location, your choices (activities) or your attitude towards what's making you uphappy. Good job, happy homelife and good health near the beach.... you've got the world by the tail right now. Spend some time in Charleston....I'm sure you will find more people and activities that suit you.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:10 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,773,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinabean View Post
If we do the same things we have always done, we will get the same results we have always gotten. Bottom line is something has to change for you to be happy for the next two years. There are only three choices: change your location, your choices (activities) or your attitude towards what's making you uphappy. Good job, happy homelife and good health near the beach.... you've got the world by the tail right now. Spend some time in Charleston....I'm sure you will find more people and activities that suit you.
Great post! I truly understand the OP post but sometimes you do have to look at what you do have and not what you don't have. I'm here 4.5 yrs and still miss my home state and still make comparisons. It hasn't made me any happier but I know your statement "change your location, your choices (activities) or your attitude towards what's making you uphappy" is very true. In my case, I can't change my location right now because of finances, so always working on meeting new people and trying new activities.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:48 AM

1,143 posts, read 2,873,091 times
Hey Rapture. Your contributions (posts) are helpful and uplifting. Keep on spreading your good energy around and it will come back to you. Have a great day!

Old 09-08-2011, 09:28 AM

166 posts, read 304,322 times
This is an very intersting thread...and Scotty, while I feel your pain I have to say that you have the power to make it or not where you are. "Bloom where you're planted"!
In the South your winter activity fix is not going to happen unless you vacation elsewhere, so how about trying to adapt your skill set to a similar sport....for instance, you like snowboarding...how about skateboarding or as someone suggested, kiteboarding? You mentioned that you have found some guys interested cars, so find out where the car clubs meet and when the shows are!
I note that you haven't mentioned trying to explore the surrounding areas like Myrtle Beach or further our like Charleston...any particular reason?
Having just left the west coast, I understand your situation...Seattle is one of those unique areas that would literally be impossible to replicate, without question. But honestly, do you really miss all the rain and the gray days and the constantcy of that?
And what about your wife? Is she also miserable? If not, then perhaps you can follow her lead. And in that regard, do you dance? If not, try taking shag lessons! Its a ton of fun.
So, I guess what I want to convey is that most people are about as happy as they make up their mind to be. My family moved 7 times before I was in 6th grade and I've moved 9 times in my married life with two of those being x-country and another from Florida to Indiana, so I think I have experienced about all there is to encounter in the range of culture shock in my lifetime. If I learned anything its that keeping an open mind and trying to embrace the 'new' works tons better than lamenting what you've left behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area