Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 04:08 PM

18 posts, read 24,005 times

Advertisements

PS....if you think Pawleys Island is bad....the town we live in now has a Walmart and that's about it......no nice restaurants to speak of.....one taxi cab company....you get the idea-you have to dig and search, but there are things to do. Sitting at home will not help you find those things to do!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 08:38 AM

229 posts, read 584,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachflamingo View Post
Can't resist adding my two cents....I'm an "old person" but found myself in a similar situation about 30 years ago....my husband and I were living in Greenville, SC, my favorite city in the whole wide world, and he took a job in a teensy little town in North Carolina...I was totally miserable and thought I was going to die....he looked at me and said Why don't you take ballet? So I did...and do you know one thing led to another-before long I was performing on pointe....then doing little Theatre and singing and acting.....went back to school and got a masters and several degrees.....took fun classes at the community college like quilting and cake decorating and calligraphy....and do you know, now I have so many activities and friends and accomplishments, I can't believe my life is this full. In fact, my husband and I want to move to Myrtle Beach permanently now, but we have so many friends and activities in this Teeny Little North Carolina town that we just don't know what to do.....now I know everything I listed is a "girl" thing, but my point is....bloom where you are planted-there are lots of people out there and so much to do-the world is full of more things than you can ever do in a lifetime!!!! I'm not particularly religious but joined a church so I can play Handbells, and I sing in the choir....I learned to swim and became a lifeguard when I was in my 30's.....I take all kinds of exercise classes and yoga.....in other words-get out there, take classes, join groups-you will find a world of things to do no matter where you live!!!!!!
This is such an inspiring post!

Old 02-28-2012, 07:54 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,825,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachflamingo View Post
...bloom where you are planted...
You know, I couldn't imagine why this thread - so full of whining and complaining - continued to drag interminably on and on. Now I know. It was waiting on your response to put it all in perspective. Thank you for one of the finest postings I have read on C-D in a long, long time.

PS - Think long and hard before making that move. We badly miss much about our little NC town we left behind.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:14 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,540,797 times
You know, I couldn't imagine why this thread - so full of whining and complaining - continued to drag interminably on and on.

Me too! I keep hoping it will die a natural death. Of course, here I am prolonging it's life by posting.........

Old 03-04-2012, 09:37 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,963,472 times
First post two year lease:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty Dosent Know View Post
Signed my lease on 7/1/11 and have set my date to leave 7/1/13. 2 months down 22 to go
Second Post one year lease:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty Dosent Know View Post
Yep I feel you im counting down the days untill my lease is over. In April im going to start applying for jobs back in the NW and hopefully some thing pops up before July. I could prob stick it out 2 years but my wife really is unhappy here so we may be gone at the end of our 1 year lease.
Ok ... do you have your resume ready? April is just around the corner and you need to be applying now if you plan to get out of here at the end of your one year lease.

I sincerely hope you find work in the NW but it's not going to come down your street and knock on your door. Times are hard right now and you need to get on the ball looking for a job in Seattle or that general area.

Go Home Scotty ... make you wife and yourself happy ... have a house full of little children and in later years tell them about the time you lived in South Carolina. It's been said over and over life is too short to be miserable.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:11 PM

18 posts, read 24,005 times
To PawleysDude and the others who appreciated my post.....thank you.....your comment made me realize that if they stuck me on a desert island I would still find something fun to do.....one day I saw an ad in the paper for ticket takers at the Palace Theatre at Myrtle Beach....I was jumping up and down thinking, that's going to be my next career! I was thinking about how much fun it would be to get all dressed up and wear makeup, be able to watch all those shows for free, talk to all the tourists and see how they're enjoying their evening, and get paid too!!!! My husband laughed at me... I'm seriously thinking that might be my next career!

Old 03-21-2012, 04:44 PM

68 posts, read 174,509 times
On another note I ate at Hymans Seafood in Charleston the other day and is was pretty good, I will probably go back. I also found a Greek restaurant that smelled good in that area when we walked by (don't remember the name) but I'm going to give that a try soon.

Im sick = lots of replying today lol I have been getting sick a lot lately and am not sure if its allergy related or just a cold/flu. I have been sick about 4 times this year which is SUPER unusual for me so I'm almost thinking allergies.[/quote]

Scotty,

We do like Mr. Fish in Myrtle Beach. Very casual and inexpensive but great fish...my husband's from Boston and he knows good fish. It's right on King's Highway. We like Jestine's on Meeting Street. Also the Charleston Farmer's Market is a good place to spend a Sat. (10 to 2). Starts again in April. They have the best gyro's, Greek potatoes, breakfast crepes, etc. there. BTW you have responded with respect and courtesy to all posters even those who "lost their manners" for awhile. You can't help the way you feel that's why Dorothy said, "There's no place like Home!" Someday you'll be back where you need to be...hang in there, lots of us transplants understand.

Old 03-21-2012, 04:51 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,278,566 times
grass is always greener somewhere else eh? Never been to the carolinas but looks like the perfect climate for me.. Love trees, hills, mild winters, the beach... try living in Minnesota, South Dakota, etc.

Actually they have their own beauty too.. something to be said for being able to see 20 miles in the distance after living in an area that's solid trees.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:03 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,670,088 times
AshleyMc recommended a wonderful restaurant - Mr. Fish. We love their food!

Old 03-22-2012, 05:56 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,658,548 times

Here is a new restaurant at Barefoot Landing .....someone might just try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area