Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 08:11 PM

214 posts, read 650,010 times

Advertisements

I moved to Pawleys Island for a job back in January because I could not pass up the job opportunity and the money.........the only problem is I hate it here.....hate is putting it as nicely as I can. I will most likely be stuck here for the next 2-3 years.

None of the activity's I used to do are here like snowboarding, snowmobiling, and road racing. Some I guess are here like wake boarding and hiking but im pretty much miserable out side here and I refuse to go in lakes down here.

I guess other than bitching im wondering if there is anything to do here other than waste time loafing around the beach. Im 30 if that helps......im just looking to get involved in some thing to prevent me from quitting my job, breaking lease and driving back to Seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 08:29 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,780,399 times
Sorry you feel that way and hope things get better. I've been to Seattle several times and also moved here from another state that's very different than this area. I understand how hard it is to get used to something so different, especially when you come from a metro area with mountains all around. That being said, you must have know moving to the south winter sports would not be a popular thing here. There's still a lot to do including every type of water sport. I know the lakes here are not great when you compare them to the NW lakes and I wouldn't go in them either. That being said, many people do and maybe over time you will change your mind. I don't know if you have made friends here yet but if not that can make a huge difference on how you feel about an area. Try meetup.com, they have some groups you might be interested in. If you are mostly into sports activities, I can't help but maybe someone else on here can suggest something. There are plenty of bars, nightclubs etc...if you're into going out. Since you are still young, I would say give it more time but if after another year or so you still feel the same then maybe you should consider moving back. I'm sure some of the feelings you have are because you miss family and friends and I can relate. I've been here 4.5 yrs and still want to go home but I can't. If over time you are still unhappy and can go home, I say do it and be happy.

Old 08-09-2011, 01:23 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,116,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty Dosent Know View Post
I moved to Pawleys Island for a job back in January because I could not pass up the job opportunity and the money.........the only problem is I hate it here.....hate is putting it as nicely as I can. I will most likely be stuck here for the next 2-3 years.

None of the activity's I used to do are here like snowboarding, snowmobiling, and road racing. Some I guess are here like wake boarding and hiking but im pretty much miserable out side here and I refuse to go in lakes down here.

I guess other than bitching im wondering if there is anything to do here other than waste time loafing around the beach. Im 30 if that helps......im just looking to get involved in some thing to prevent me from quitting my job, breaking lease and driving back to Seattle.
Have you tried surfing or kite boarding?

Old 08-09-2011, 12:23 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,830,075 times
Remember, you asked...

It was somewhere around 30 that I came to realize it's easy to be miserable, regardless of where you are. Being happy, or at least content, required quite a bit more effort and an attitude change on my part. I'll be the first to agree that outdoor activity can be a challenge down here, particularly if you're not into golf or surfing. Generally speaking, both hiking and good biking opportunities suck. We're all different, but kayaking was a good answer for me. There are miles and miles of excellent rivers that provide the opportunity to get outdoors and lose yourself in a natural and tranquil environment. If you're adventuresome, there's always the ocean. Pawleys Creek and Murrells Inlet both offer excellent kayaking in a calm and scenic setting. I do it year-round, with the heat of summer as the biggest obstacle. Rent a kayak for a week or so from Surf the Earth and give it a chance.

Quote:
...im just looking to get involved in some thing to prevent me from quitting my job, breaking lease and driving back to Seattle.
You say you want to get involved, but all you mention are recreational activities. If you really want to get involved in the community, there are a multitude of opportunities. Teach My People on Waverly Road is a wonderful organization begging for tutors. Habitat for Humanity of Georgetown County does fantastic work around Pawleys and throughout the county. Big Brothers, Big Sisters can be hugely rewarding. gsScene is an energetic group of young people who do good work and seem to have a good time doing it.

Whatever it is, do something. In the end, if you come to the conclusion you cannot be happy here, then it's time to move. Life's too short to be miserable. As some wise folks once said, " It ain't long before it's gone, might as well have a good time."

Old 08-09-2011, 12:25 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,116,607 times
Join the Charleston Running Club Home - Charleston Running Club

Old 08-09-2011, 01:44 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,673,360 times
Default Excellent advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
Remember, you asked...

It was somewhere around 30 that I came to realize it's easy to be miserable, regardless of where you are. Being happy, or at least content, required quite a bit more effort and an attitude change on my part. I'll be the first to agree that outdoor activity can be a challenge down here, particularly if you're not into golf or surfing. Generally speaking, both hiking and good biking opportunities suck. We're all different, but kayaking was a good answer for me. There are miles and miles of excellent rivers that provide the opportunity to get outdoors and lose yourself in a natural and tranquil environment. If you're adventuresome, there's always the ocean. Pawleys Creek and Murrells Inlet both offer excellent kayaking in a calm and scenic setting. I do it year-round, with the heat of summer as the biggest obstacle. Rent a kayak for a week or so from Surf the Earth and give it a chance.

You say you want to get involved, but all you mention are recreational activities. If you really want to get involved in the community, there are a multitude of opportunities. Teach My People on Waverly Road is a wonderful organization begging for tutors. Habitat for Humanity of Georgetown County does fantastic work around Pawleys and throughout the county. Big Brothers, Big Sisters can be hugely rewarding. gsScene is an energetic group of young people who do good work and seem to have a good time doing it.

Whatever it is, do something. In the end, if you come to the conclusion you cannot be happy here, then it's time to move. Life's too short to be miserable. As some wise folks once said, " It ain't long before it's gone, might as well have a good time."
This is excellent advice! And I heartily agree with all of it. You are very young and of course you want to enjoy your life and be active doing things you enjoy, as well you should. Sometimes the best way to be happy is to get involved with your community and help others. In that way you can also help yourself. I read through some of your other posts in other threads and noticed that you seem to be somewhat of a "loner" and don't really like social interactions with strangers that you meet in the grocery store or on the street. I totally understand that and I don't blame you for feeling that way, but you don't have to interact with people that you don't want to talk to, etc. However, sometimes you have to step outside of your comfort zone in order to learn and grow. I hope you find peace and happiness, be it here or back where you moved from in Seattle. But you should also realize that things won't be the same as they were when/if you do go back and often times when we look back on our past, we only remember the good and not the bad.

You are lucky to be young and have a good paying job. I think you probably realize that, but thought I should mention it just the same. There are so many people who are homeless, job less and really struggling with just trying to survive, let alone be happy.

All that being said, I am not trying to preach to you, but hopefully help you, since you asked for help. I wish you the best and hope you find happiness. It can be elusive......

Old 08-10-2011, 12:00 PM

215 posts, read 545,261 times
Frankly, Scotty, you are part of the Narcissistic generation - me, me, me, it's all about me.

God put something inside each of us that, unless we use it, our life will seem so empty.

Consider this:

I have shewed you all things, how that so labouring ye ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive. (Acts 20:35)

God, Who created us, teaches us, in His Word, the Bible, how to operate:

But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully. (2 Corinthians 9:6)

Giving of our time and money to help other people is what makes us better citizens. Please others who are needy and God will make sure you are taken care of too.

Remain unfulfilled or decide to change your thinking and your lifestyle today. Turn your life over to Jesus Christ and He will change your heart.

I have prayed for you to make the right decision.

You have reached out. I'm a Christian and that's my 2 cents from my perspective.

dlcamp

Old 08-10-2011, 05:27 PM

214 posts, read 650,010 times
Rapture: Dont think I will change my mind about the lakes/rivers here lol I have not met anyone here but I am not opposed to it, I suppose that would help. I do have my wife and dogs here to keep me company so its not like im all alone. I will have to browse meetup.com maybe there are some things that will get me out of the house.

I am more into sports activities though, to me sitting at a bar is pretty much the same as sitting at a beach just a wast of time :P

PawleysDude: I knew there were no winter sports here when I decided to move....I did honestly expect to like it here more than I do though. Point blank the only reason I am here though is because im making $40K more a year than I was back home and my wife's job pays well and is internet biased so she can still work here. I would have been dumb in this economy not to take the job especially with how cheap the cost of living is here.

Thanks for the suggestion of Kayaking I think that will end up being my activity of choice once it cools off a little bit. Being that my house is only a block or two from that salt marsh thing that may be a good place to start, I will have to check out "surf the earth" for a rental before I buy one.

I guess I possibly chose the wrong words when I sad "get involved" lol I am just not really into any of those activitys, various reasons for each one listed.

VREXY: You have me part right! lol Yes I hate meeting new people and I hate interacting socially with strangers. Especially with my job I have to meet new people every day, its awful. Atleast once a day I have contractors asking if I want to go out to lunch......people here are to say the least, annoyingly friendly.

On the other side of that though I would not call myself a loaner lol I am happily married! and have more friends that are into all the same things I am than I can even keep in touch with. If I have a hard time keeping in touch with all my good friends that I have known for the last 8-20 years why would I even bother trying to keep in touch with someone I have little to nothing in common with?

Honestly I know when you are away from something you tend to remember only the good (kind of like an ex....after you break up you think about the good and not all the fights) but the things I was unhappy about back home were pretty limited to job/money. The things I am unhappy about here are things like geography, temperature, general population, activitys, insects........nothing I can change. But like I said before I would be dumb to not take the money lol

Dlcamp: ................Im not trying to be mean but honestly preachy religious people are one of the reasons I dont like being down here. Call me narcissistic all you want but yes MY life is about ME. Im just trying to find an activity or two that will get me through the next couple years so I can better MY life with out going crazy.

As far as giving my time and money to others, yes that's a hard thing for me to do (besides family/friends because they reciprocate). I pride myself on being self sufficient whether its doing my taxes or remodeling my home so its hard for me to understand people that constantly need help.

P.S. im not religious.

Old 08-11-2011, 01:14 PM

935 posts, read 1,650,295 times
tell you what, its gonna be a long couple or three years for you unless something changes and it aint gonna be Pawleys. I only hope the moneys worth it.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:33 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,673,360 times
Default Road racing

You mentioned road racing in your original post. I'm not really sure what it means, however, I did see an article about this:

Myrtle Beach Speedway - NASCAR Sanctioned .538 Mile Short Track

in today's Sun News. Maybe this would be of interest to you........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area