Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 08:27 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,031 posts, read 6,556,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
Yup. Sad but true..... I'm here for the weather, not the culture (what ever that is).
BTW, just to be clear.... I don't see anything wrong with the "culture" of this area or the South in general. Many aspects of what I believe is the Low Country culture I would love to adapt. However, that was not the reason I bought here and plan to live here a good part of the year.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 12:10 PM

89 posts, read 252,106 times
I am not by any means trying to be smart by saying this...but RUN out of here as fast as you can....RUN....back to north, west, anywhere but here...it is a dying area and all it will be in a few years is a senior citizen haven....live on the north end and we have been here nine years and only because it has taken us that long to save for a move is why we are still here...darn economy anyway

Go where there is life, change of seasons, ethnic food, quality of life, etc....look west....we are actually looking at a few areas in the Pacific Northwest which looks great for all the activities you mentioned! Good Luck!

Old 10-28-2011, 08:18 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,790,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by symbasmommy View Post
I am not by any means trying to be smart by saying this...but RUN out of here as fast as you can....RUN....back to north, west, anywhere but here...it is a dying area and all it will be in a few years is a senior citizen haven....live on the north end and we have been here nine years and only because it has taken us that long to save for a move is why we are still here...darn economy anyway

Go where there is life, change of seasons, ethnic food, quality of life, etc....look west....we are actually looking at a few areas in the Pacific Northwest which looks great for all the activities you mentioned! Good Luck!
I get what you're saying but let's not turn this "into a bash the area thread". I know some negatives have been pointed out but take it from someone that has lived in many places and did a fair amount of traveling, no place is perfect. There are pros and cons everywhere. I don't love it here and admit I would move if I could but to a lot of people this is paradise and exactly where they would choose to live and they do choose to live here. Not the same things make everyone happy so this is great for many people. I'm, from the NE and the weather here is fantastic compared to there. Now if you miss the cold winter and digging your car out of snow, I can see why a person would miss northern winters. Also, my taxes are less than $600 a year here...for the same house in NJ I would be paying over $10,000. So everyone has to weigh whats important to them. I went into real estate when I moved here, soon getting out but in the last 5 yrs met a lot of people from here, people moving here and people wanting to get out of here. It's just not for everyone but don't know till you try. I give the OP credit for trying and seeking out ways to like it here instead of just giving up. Yes, he needs to have an open mind but considering where he came from I can understand why he doesn't like it here, plus he sounds kind of young and I think this area is more suited for people 40+. For me, life is about experiences and even though I don't love it here, I am glad I tried something different, learned new things and maybe over time I would like it more. Right now financially I can't do anything so have to make the best of it.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:24 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,031 posts, read 6,556,472 times
I have personally accepted a series of "life" rules that apply to me and, I believe, to many people. I generally have (or start with) a good attitude about things, so maybe most of my "rules" apply best to people like me......

Anyway, I have found that "Nothing is so bad that you can't find a way to get use to it or make the best of it. Nothing is so good that it will not eventually get old and seem a lot less good than it started out to be."

The above, for me, definately applies to places. That is the main reason I have been lucky enough to set things up to that I can change where we are living every so often.

Old 10-28-2011, 03:31 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,351,144 times
Quote:
...but RUN out of here as fast as you can....RUN....back to north, west, anywhere but here...it is a dying area
Yes, because so many other areas are doing great these days. Like here in the rust belt area where the good times keep on rollin' despite people fleeing left and right. And things in Vegas and Arizona are certainly peachy, not to mention California. If you want to trade places and come to Michigan, send me a direct message.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:08 PM

89 posts, read 252,106 times
I think you mean 60+...NOT 40+...this is getting to be a senior citizen oriented area...NOT bashing people but educating and letting people know it is NOT all sand, sun and fun....especially for those of us who still yearn for culture and people to talk with educationally...

Old 11-03-2011, 05:12 PM

17 posts, read 30,806 times
I actually am looking forward to the "relaxing" scenario's and not the "get this done now" rushed deadlines that people sometimes make for themselves, their clients, and sadly, because of their over-anxious nervousness. I look forward to sunny days versus cloudy, overcast, partially-cloudy, cloudy, rainy, did I mention overcast, days that seem to go on here forever. Having 10 straight days of grey clouds, falling rain of that 40-degree temperature that simply pierces your bones... Yes, I'm ready for some sunshine, warmth, and hopefully some southern, relaxed, friendly and sometimes outrageous culture.

Life is what you make it and what you make of it. Simply "making it" won't cut it. Go where you're happy, but do keep an open mind.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:19 PM

166 posts, read 304,880 times
Well getting back to our pal Scotty (the op)...
So, how is it going by now? Have you found any outlets? Particularly, did you ever try the hang gliding in KDH?

Old 11-14-2011, 10:17 AM

62 posts, read 169,790 times
For those looking for in depth, meaningful conversations, why not start a local discussion group, AKA "conversation salon" via meetup.com?

Old 11-15-2011, 06:00 PM

145 posts, read 359,529 times
Quote:

I posted on this thread a few weeks ago so I forget scotty...'s age but I think it's 30. It may be becoming a senior area but I must mention two families, including mine have at least one young semi-retiree, ages 44 and 58. The 44 y o has a 33 y o wife. I am a very young 58 -- not typical retiree. I want to do so many things when I move to MB, things I haven't been able to do so far. My dream is to be a senior amateur ballroom dancer, and to take up a musical instrument. We're not all "old fogies" Also just another thought, when I met my husband I was 39, not much older than scotty...., the last 20 years flew by..I know 20 years is a long time but it went very fast. I don't think he should stay in MB for the next 20 years just because it goes fast though. I strongly think he will not be happy in a place like MB because he's just not a southeast beach resort type person. I don't see how MB is dying. As some evidence, see the 17+ pages in the thread about newcomers and hopefuls to MB (starts with Anyone else planning...or something similar). On this thread people are posting about how they are dying to get out of the cold in the North. At least two posters have relocated to MB since the thread was started back in April. Dying???? Seems like the exact opposite to me. Just to clarify the NORTHERNERS (like me) are dying to get to MB. MB surely does nto seem to be dying. LOL Oh and by the way, a comment to an earlier post in this thread: wintersports, and people who make friends with only specific types or are not really social almost NEVER like dancing. I've noticed that over the years.

Last edited by MovingSouthGal; 11-15-2011 at 06:32 PM.. Reason: Needed better clarification
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area