Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 09:03 PM

6 posts, read 22,008 times

Advertisements

Funny how you complain about the place rather than yourself. There are way more opportunities for recreation here. You say you snowboard but haven't tried skateboarding or surfing. Sure skateboarding will cause you to get hurt easier than snowboarding. If that is the case you can always try surfing. Sure MB is not the greatest surfing hot spot for the east, but considering you are from the miserable cold of the northwest you should have no problem getting out in the surf in the fall/winter/spring when the waves are better. Ocean Isle is not a long drive and neither is Buxton/Melbourne for a weekend trip.

You also have not mentioned a word about dirt bikes. Don't you realize from seeing so many dirt bikes/atvs around that the area is great for all that stuff. In all honesty I have heard many a transplant complain about whatever it is in their head that they hate here, but to argue recreational sports here compared to Seattle is about ridiculous. I would never be able to live in such a cold, overcast and depressive area as Seattle. I remember reading about how that area had very high suicide and depression rates. I guess sunshine and great weather are awful. To those complaining about swimming in the lakes and waterways I bet you have issues swimming in pools also. I guess it is the black water you are afraid of or that the water is not always 40 degrees. Can you even swim up north without a wetsuit? I guess you can in the 15 days of summer you have up there. It is common knowledge that the area has had issues with water polution but I guarantee you if you jump off a boat into the Waccamaw you are not going to die from poision, an alligator isn't going to eat you nor is the boggy monster going to pull you under. I'd bet that over 90% of all waterways in the continental US are deemed to be polluted.

If you can't find a recreational activity to do here I doubt that you have told the truth about the real issues you are having. If the money you are making is that good why can't you afford to go to NC or TN for a little snow? As a native I have heard a lot of excuses about what transplants hate here but I've found what is more rare is the transplant that moves back home. This one ranks just above the lack of culture claim transplants like to spout as well when they wouldn't know culture if it were right in their face or the "you have an accent" statement they say we have but in fact our dialect is the native dialect. It is their accent that is funny

In all seriousness try dirt bikes. They are the greatest. You may have to research a little on where to ride or may have to find someone who has access to land that you can ride on but it is great fun. Jet Ski's and Waverunners are also very fun. Being 30 I'm sure rolling your ankle on a skateboard doesn't sound appealing as it no longer does for me either, but surfing is actually a blast but you do have to pay attention here as far as going when there are waves. Look for low pressure and swell directions and you can find rideable waves. There are also the surf shops you can call to get the surf reports. The summer does suck for waves up and down the eastern seaboard with the exception of tropical weather. Being from up in the NW US I bet you would have a good time getting a few friends together and going camping (in a tent) in Cape Hatteras. Again avoid the summertime. Go in the fall or spring and the waves are usually good, but more so the weather can be good and stormy. Even if you don't enjoy surfing Hatteras has always been a fun trip especially when it is stormy. If neither of those grab you then just try something new. Plenty of woods around for hiking. Hope you find something, if you don't it has to be something else than lack of recreational activities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 11:34 PM

2,133 posts, read 2,286,519 times
This thread is great with popcorn- never thought someones misery could be this entertaining.

and by the way...

I hate flat land and chocolate cake too.

Update soon!

Old 02-19-2012, 12:01 PM

214 posts, read 651,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shane0613 View Post
Funny how you complain about the place rather than yourself. There are way more opportunities for recreation here. You say you snowboard but haven't tried skateboarding or surfing. Sure skateboarding will cause you to get hurt easier than snowboarding. If that is the case you can always try surfing. Sure MB is not the greatest surfing hot spot for the east, but considering you are from the miserable cold of the northwest you should have no problem getting out in the surf in the fall/winter/spring when the waves are better. Ocean Isle is not a long drive and neither is Buxton/Melbourne for a weekend trip.

You also have not mentioned a word about dirt bikes. Don't you realize from seeing so many dirt bikes/atvs around that the area is great for all that stuff. In all honesty I have heard many a transplant complain about whatever it is in their head that they hate here, but to argue recreational sports here compared to Seattle is about ridiculous. I would never be able to live in such a cold, overcast and depressive area as Seattle. I remember reading about how that area had very high suicide and depression rates. I guess sunshine and great weather are awful. To those complaining about swimming in the lakes and waterways I bet you have issues swimming in pools also. I guess it is the black water you are afraid of or that the water is not always 40 degrees. Can you even swim up north without a wetsuit? I guess you can in the 15 days of summer you have up there. It is common knowledge that the area has had issues with water polution but I guarantee you if you jump off a boat into the Waccamaw you are not going to die from poision, an alligator isn't going to eat you nor is the boggy monster going to pull you under. I'd bet that over 90% of all waterways in the continental US are deemed to be polluted.

If you can't find a recreational activity to do here I doubt that you have told the truth about the real issues you are having. If the money you are making is that good why can't you afford to go to NC or TN for a little snow? As a native I have heard a lot of excuses about what transplants hate here but I've found what is more rare is the transplant that moves back home. This one ranks just above the lack of culture claim transplants like to spout as well when they wouldn't know culture if it were right in their face or the "you have an accent" statement they say we have but in fact our dialect is the native dialect. It is their accent that is funny

In all seriousness try dirt bikes. They are the greatest. You may have to research a little on where to ride or may have to find someone who has access to land that you can ride on but it is great fun. Jet Ski's and Waverunners are also very fun. Being 30 I'm sure rolling your ankle on a skateboard doesn't sound appealing as it no longer does for me either, but surfing is actually a blast but you do have to pay attention here as far as going when there are waves. Look for low pressure and swell directions and you can find rideable waves. There are also the surf shops you can call to get the surf reports. The summer does suck for waves up and down the eastern seaboard with the exception of tropical weather. Being from up in the NW US I bet you would have a good time getting a few friends together and going camping (in a tent) in Cape Hatteras. Again avoid the summertime. Go in the fall or spring and the waves are usually good, but more so the weather can be good and stormy. Even if you don't enjoy surfing Hatteras has always been a fun trip especially when it is stormy. If neither of those grab you then just try something new. Plenty of woods around for hiking. Hope you find something, if you don't it has to be something else than lack of recreational activities.

Shane.....not even sure where to start with this one but I will give it my most polite shot! lol Between the ages of 12-23 I was BIG into skate boarding and racing BMX bicycles. There was even a time during high school when I was sponsored by a bike shop to race. As a result most of the joints in my body are now trashed at the age of 31 especially my ankles and hands/fingers. I took the good remaining joints and hopped on dirt bikes. You are right dirt bikes are a blast!......although my now blown out ACL and Meniscus probably don't agree lol

I know there are probably plenty of places that I could ride dirt bikes here and I would probably be ok if I took it easy on them (I cant) but there are a few problems with that. I dont own a truck, trailer or dirt bikes any more lol I also cant take the risk of hurting myself and being out of work, its just not worth it at my age. If I was 21 sure but at 31 I have a lot of obligations to take care of. Its the same thing with fishing, I love fishing but am not going to run out and buy a truck, boat and trailer while im here.

I have considered surfing since I like snowboarding so much but honestly it just has little to no appeal to me. I guess as im finding out the whole beach scene really has no appeal to me. As far as snowboarding I never said I could not afford to go I just haven't gone. I guess you get spoiled when you can be on the Mt. in an hour and a half......I just feel like I shouldn't have to drive 6 hours to go do....well......anything. Going snowboarding here would also require boarding my dogs at a kennel for the weekend which I'm a little weirded out about. If anyone can suggest a good kennel that they have experience with BTW I'm looking for one around Pawleys/MI.

As far as your views on WA, Colder and gloomier than SC? yep, but I hate the heat, humidity and blazing sun here, its just preference. You can call the weather miserable there....but I think its miserable here. Its just depends on what you like really, although with a population of 7 million apparently its not that bad. Short Summer? yes, which I like but over half of WA state is desert terrain. It may be overcast and 65 but all you have to do is head to eastern WA in summer for 85+ degree weather, swimming, wake boarding etc. Depression and suicide rate? its about the same as here in SC middle of the pack. About 50% of states more and about 50% less. Accents? I wont even get started on that one lol Mispronunciation and poor grammar are for an entirely different thread.

Thank you for the tip on Cape Hatteras though, we will probably take a trip up there soon to check it out. I looked online a bit and it would probably be worth it just to go for a drive and check out the light house.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingSouthGal View Post
Scotty, I cannot find fault with you. I think I can put myself in your place. You seem to have been open about everything. Seems this thread has helped you find a few things to do. If I remember correctly, you started out with a big 0 and lately you seem more positive. You've given a lot of attention to all the posts and have given equal attention to replying back to everyone. Maybe the longevity of this thread has helped also, by serving as a distraction and filling time you need to fill. I may sound like I'm trying to be some kind of mentor/counselor to you, or have myself up there as a know-it-all, but wondering if I am the only one on this thread who has the impression this thread has helped you substantially. At first, you seemed like you were in misery. Now you don't. Am I right or wrong? If right, I think if you can keep up the momentum you will be fine until your stint here is over.
You are correct thread has helped me find a few things to do and probably helped me vent/kept me sane at least a little bit lol I would still say I am very unhappy but its more like a 7 instead of a 10 now. I have just been trying to find things to occupy my time when I am not working to fill up may days. Walk the dogs, keep house spotless etc. I have even taken on a project of refinishing the dining room set and recovering the chairs.....its something to do lol

I believe I stated a while back that im going to take up some bicycling, its some thing I always wanted to get back into back home but was always to busy. I have done a little research online and at local bicycle shops and have found some trails I'm eager to try out. I have also signed up for a gym....not some thing I would normally do but you can always be in better shape right?

There is also a Saturday morning car meet in Mt. Pleasant to occupy some time. Not the type of meets I'm used to but always nice to talk to fellow car enthusiasts.

And I do like Wilmington so we head up there from time to time for beer/food and conversation with non geriatrics's lol Charleston is ok also but other than the "down town" area I really don't care for it all that much but we do go down there if we are looking for a good restaurant or to do some shopping.

So I would say I am doing better but I still don't like it here, which is not a surprise I'm guessing. This thread was never about trying to get myself to like it here (as much as some people would like to think it is) it was/is about finding things to do to pass the time which I have found some and that helps a lot. Although I still miss the things I had gotten used to doing on a regular basis back home but honestly who wouldn't?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyMc View Post
Scotty and others, I am with you...I miss what I left behind also...have to wait until the housing market goes up enough to not lose so much on our home we bought here. Really Charleston is a small city and there is only so many times I can walk the Battery. I have seen most of the tourist places and in fact we drive up to Myrtle Beach often also now. So I'm trying to get out and do things but.....I get it!
I have a feeling we feel similar lol When I originally moved out here I had considered purchasing a home instead of renting because it would make more sense to build some equity than throw money away on rent. After looking at a whole slew of homes which were vacant, with owners living out of state and had been on the market for 1+ years I decided that renting would be best. I would not want to move and still be strapped with a home 3000 miles away I could not sell. Hopefully the housing market will pick up for you and you will not loose money on your home.

I also feel the same there is only so much exploring you can do in Charleston, I can se why you have ventured up to MB. Although imo Charleston/Mt. Pleasant is superior to the "Grand" Strand. I honestly feel like I live in Americas longest strip mall....... If you take away golf, mini golf, beach ware, buffets and fire work stores you are not left with much lol I have also done the battery, aquarium, buggy tour, Boone Hall etc. That is part of the reason I made this thread, to look for more of a hobby than "things to do". Hopefully bicycling and working out will take the place of my old hobby's. That's my suggestion look for something you can do regularly instead of just a one time deal.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
This thread is great with popcorn- never thought someones misery could be this entertaining.

and by the way...

I hate flat land and chocolate cake too.

Update soon!

Glad you like it lol I also think its an interesting read, some of the responses I have gotten have been all over the board. Some honestly pretty funny and some helpful. I really thought that people would offer a few restaurant suggestions, tell me to go swim at the beach and the thread topic would fade away after the first page or two.

I have tried to keep the topic centered around "things to do" rather than a "list what I dont like about SC" and hopefully I have succeeded. There seem to be a lot of great suggestions in here even if they are not all my cup of tea.

On another note I ate at Hymans Seafood in Charleston the other day and is was pretty good, I will probably go back. I also found a Greek restaurant that smelled good in that area when we walked by (don't remember the name) but I'm going to give that a try soon.

Im sick = lots of replying today lol I have been getting sick a lot lately and am not sure if its allergy related or just a cold/flu. I have been sick about 4 times this year which is SUPER unusual for me so I'm almost thinking allergies.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:03 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,796,930 times
It could be allergies. I think some people when moving to a new area do not take well to certain plants and trees. I have terrible allergies here and never had them my whole life! Tried many things and what seems to help most is keeping the house as pollen and dust free as possible. I even hired someone to come and do heavy cleaning on top of my cleaning and believe it or not, it worked. Made a huge difference and I'm a very neat and clean person as it is. Walls, carpets, baseboards, windows and of course furniture all hold dust/pollen so just a vacuum and regular dusting isn't good enough. Also, I found an all natural spray that helps. It's called Sinol and sells in most drug stores. What I tried from the dr not only didn't help but also gave me nose bleeds, this natural stuff works great. Stinks to have bad allergies but it's a case of not what happens to you but how you handle is what matters. I've done my fair share of bitchin and moaning about the allergies, even crying it's so bad some days but unless I can cut down and get rid of every pine tree around me, I'm stuck with it. Good luck and maybe try that Sinol to see if it helps. If you need someone really good to do a heavy cleaning once in awhile, Let me know and I'll message her info., she was great.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:31 AM

229 posts, read 586,073 times
Guess you should have done a little more research before taking the job just for more money. It would take a LOT of money to make me move to a place I'm not compatible with.

I don't know why anyone is bothering to help you, I have read through this entire post and you have been pretty condescending to the people in that area. You have an elitist attitude. I'm not sure if that is common in Seattle- I've been there once, and read the city-data forums for Seattle now and then. One thing I've seen often is people complaining about the snotty "better than you" attitude some people in Seattle have. I don't know if that is true, but if it is, it explains your attitude.

You've asked for advice from these kind people, and they have given you quite a bit. And you have made it perfectly clear that you want nothing to do with any of them because they don't meet your standards- you're tolerating them until you can leave.. You've criticized their lifestyle, the ways they dress, they are too friendly, the people are too old, etc. If you are that unhappy- move back home. Life's too short to waste a moment of it. My husband and I don't like the cold winters in WY or the lack of amenities and opportunities. We are working hard at getting out of here as soon as possible. I refuse to just sit back and complain about it- I'm going to fix the situation.

So go ahead and wallow in your self-pity- it's quite entertaining.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:43 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,598,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty Dosent Know View Post
I moved to Pawleys Island for a job back in January because I could not pass up the job opportunity and the money.........the only problem is I hate it here.....hate is putting it as nicely as I can. I will most likely be stuck here for the next 2-3 years.

None of the activity's I used to do are here like snowboarding, snowmobiling, and road racing. Some I guess are here like wake boarding and hiking but im pretty much miserable out side here and I refuse to go in lakes down here.

I guess other than bitching im wondering if there is anything to do here other than waste time loafing around the beach. Im 30 if that helps......im just looking to get involved in some thing to prevent me from quitting my job, breaking lease and driving back to Seattle.

I just caught wind of someone hating SC ? from Seattle. No snowboarding etc? Did you think there was snow in South Carolina ??? Or, you are simply homesick. I can definitely relate to your plight, however, been there done that and moved back once. Right around that 6 to 9 month time frame is when most folks know they either hate it or like it, or they have assimilated and will stick it out.

Life is short, if you hate it that much and can put things back together in Seattle, go for it. Don't be miserable, home IS home. I just don't understand the snow thing.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:04 AM

349 posts, read 864,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty Dosent Know View Post
...Espically Mexican food I cant find a good restaurant to save my life
i have only heard good things about la poblanita... but it is in myrtle beach

Old 02-27-2012, 04:06 PM

18 posts, read 24,072 times
Can't resist adding my two cents....I'm an "old person" but found myself in a similar situation about 30 years ago....my husband and I were living in Greenville, SC, my favorite city in the whole wide world, and he took a job in a teensy little town in North Carolina...I was totally miserable and thought I was going to die....he looked at me and said Why don't you take ballet? So I did...and do you know one thing led to another-before long I was performing on pointe....then doing little Theatre and singing and acting.....went back to school and got a masters and several degrees.....took fun classes at the community college like quilting and cake decorating and calligraphy....and do you know, now I have so many activities and friends and accomplishments, I can't believe my life is this full. In fact, my husband and I want to move to Myrtle Beach permanently now, but we have so many friends and activities in this Teeny Little North Carolina town that we just don't know what to do.....now I know everything I listed is a "girl" thing, but my point is....bloom where you are planted-there are lots of people out there and so much to do-the world is full of more things than you can ever do in a lifetime!!!! I'm not particularly religious but joined a church so I can play Handbells, and I sing in the choir....I learned to swim and became a lifeguard when I was in my 30's.....I take all kinds of exercise classes and yoga.....in other words-get out there, take classes, join groups-you will find a world of things to do no matter where you live!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area