Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 01:05 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,962,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty Dosent Know View Post
No I never did. But I did look into it, there is a place I looked into in NC that does lessons. Still might go do that.

I did however get invited to go deep sea fishing which should be fun. Thats in the next couple weeks.

I am also in the process of planning a trip to the TN/NC border to go drive the "tail of the dragon" which is a very windy road. Probably going to rent a cabin for a night or two and drive the road and explore the area. It is supposed to be one of the best driving roads in America which is right up my alley. + when am I ever going to be on this side of the U.S. with my car again lol

Looking forward to this because I actually like TN and NC lol Here is a link to the tail of the dragon, 318 corners in 11 miles.

Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap, motorcycle and sport car two lane tourism serving Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap, Cherohala Skyway, Moonshiner28, Devils Triangle, and Six Gap North Georgia.

How did you like deep sea fishing? The last deep sea fishing in the Gulf for hubby the water was really rough and he got seasick and was literally green when I picked him up. Since then we just put our boat in at the landing in Murrells Inlet and stay in the calm waters.

Did you make it to Deals Gap and ride the dragon? I have rode the dragon on my motorcycle it's sort of a riite of passage when you ride motorcycles in the NC mountains. Is this the type of roads you have in your home state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 05:43 PM

214 posts, read 649,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
those mountains are the one thing Washington State has going for it. Seriously, the "one" thing.

4 million people and climbing live in Seattle metro area........to stare at a mountain. LULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by obbiemay View Post
You will probably enjoy the TN/NC trip. I love the mountains my husband loves the ocean (I do too) but love the mountains more. There are many interesting backroads and you might check out the Blue Ridge Parkway. My husband wants to move to Myrtle Beach, I'm opting for a mountain home and beach "trips"...we shall see. I don't think I can live on flat land for very long.
I will have to check out blue ridge parkway as well, I have heard there are plenty of great driving roads up there so really looking forward to it. Since I have dogs I think I am just going to rent a cabin up there for a weekend so the dogs can hang out and not be in a kennel while we explore around.

I really liked TN/NC when I drove through there. I think if I lived there I would think long and hard about making the move to Myrtle. Its kind of like Disney Land, its really great for a week or so but you would not want to live there. There is only so much "its a small world after all" one person can take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
How did you like deep sea fishing? The last deep sea fishing in the Gulf for hubby the water was really rough and he got seasick and was literally green when I picked him up. Since then we just put our boat in at the landing in Murrells Inlet and stay in the calm waters.

Did you make it to Deals Gap and ride the dragon? I have rode the dragon on my motorcycle it's sort of a riite of passage when you ride motorcycles in the NC mountains. Is this the type of roads you have in your home state?
My fishing trip actually got postponed and is this weekend. I will have to snap a few pictures and let you know if I catch anything. I have been deep sea fishing before just in the Pacific and it was fun. Too bad about your husband, did he take any motion sickness pills? I never do but I grew up going fishing out in the pacific/puget sound so im used to it maybe?? This will be my wife's first time out in the ocean though so I hope she does okay.

I have not made it out to Deals Gap yet but I will for sure. I always wanted to drive my car there but never thought I would because really who is going to drive a heavily modified car 3000+ miles just to drive on a road lol I think I may wait until this fall though, its been soooo hot out and my fun car does not have A/C If either of you know any good things to check out up there maybe you can shoot me a PM if you want.

Yes there are plenty of roads that I believe to be similar in WA. Its VERY hilly there and with all of the rivers, cliffs, valleys, mountains, passes and forests the road is always winding around something. It was a good way for me to unwind after work or enjoy a weekend. Being a motorcycle rider im sure you get that.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:51 PM

253 posts, read 470,170 times
Scotty...my youngest moved to the Seattle area about 14 years ago and is in heaven. He and his wife enjoy the mountains and all that the west coast has to offer. He has even adjusted to the gray skies and rain!

He just came to Texas during our "cold" spell of 95 degrees to babysit my dogs (only grandkids I have!!), while hubby and I explored the Grand Strand to retire (I'm from SC and I'm just a beach bum at heart).

He was quite happy to be back to the cooler temps and not at all unhappy to leave Texas.

Enjoy the Blue Ridge Parkway - there are some incredible sights to see, but be careful you don't slip off!!

Old 07-24-2012, 06:31 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
Remember, you asked...

It was somewhere around 30 that I came to realize it's easy to be miserable, regardless of where you are. Being happy, or at least content, required quite a bit more effort and an attitude change on my part. I'll be the first to agree that outdoor activity can be a challenge down here, particularly if you're not into golf or surfing. Generally speaking, both hiking and good biking opportunities suck. We're all different, but kayaking was a good answer for me. There are miles and miles of excellent rivers that provide the opportunity to get outdoors and lose yourself in a natural and tranquil environment. If you're adventuresome, there's always the ocean. Pawleys Creek and Murrells Inlet both offer excellent kayaking in a calm and scenic setting. I do it year-round, with the heat of summer as the biggest obstacle. Rent a kayak for a week or so from Surf the Earth and give it a chance.

You say you want to get involved, but all you mention are recreational activities. If you really want to get involved in the community, there are a multitude of opportunities. Teach My People on Waverly Road is a wonderful organization begging for tutors. Habitat for Humanity of Georgetown County does fantastic work around Pawleys and throughout the county. Big Brothers, Big Sisters can be hugely rewarding. gsScene is an energetic group of young people who do good work and seem to have a good time doing it.

Whatever it is, do something. In the end, if you come to the conclusion you cannot be happy here, then it's time to move. Life's too short to be miserable. As some wise folks once said, " It ain't long before it's gone, might as well have a good time."
^^^^^^Just what he said^^^^^

Old 07-24-2012, 07:08 PM

1,124 posts, read 1,715,421 times
Scotty-
To help your wife NOT get seasick, find some "Gin Gin" candies. They taste good and they really help -- saved me on our Inside Passage cruise!!! I ate a couple each day before we left and one each day on the trip and ...no problem. Its something about the ginger...
Where to find them? Not sure down there...we get them at Cost Plus/ World Market, but I have been told that you can get them at Trader Joe's and Fresh Market.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:38 PM

1 posts, read 2,459 times
I am originally from Illinois, but moved to Central Arkansas for over 20 years. I loved most things about AR besides the high humidity but learned to live with it. Me, my husband and 13 year old daughter now live in the Texas Panhandle (no trees, no greenery, not much nature in a desert) we moved here for my husband's career and we all hate it. We pay higher rent, and utilities, and just seem to never have money for anything but bills (and that's even questionable). It isn't the way we budget our money either (you have to have it first) but anyway...we would like to move to South Carolina, why? Because me and my husband have always wanted to live along the coast and SC is one of the places we can agree on. We are still researching and hoping to save enough to get out of here, we aren't sure how yet but that's not really my point. I just want to know some pros to the places in SC, even though I know there are going to be cons also. I'm sure there are places worse than here (TX) but we have felt like we have landed in hell. The upside? Well the humidity here is almost non-existent, lol Thank you to all. Also, to the original poster. I do hope you find your happiness , I know it's hard being in a place that you hate and are unhappy in.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:01 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
If you can manage to get here to Myrtle Beach find a spot out of the main downtown area. You'll feel more comfortable most likely with less tourists and downtown action. So the south end or the upper north end.

Jobs are hard to come by so be sure to line up something ahead. That is hard to do without being here.

There are some nice apartments but there is still the bills that go along with living in a home. Just something none of us can close our eyes to. Food, electric, phone, cable, water, sewer,internet, TV. All a given no matter where you live.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:32 PM

253 posts, read 470,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crooked_halo View Post
...we would like to move to South Carolina, why? Because me and my husband have always wanted to live along the coast and SC is one of the places we can agree on. We are still researching and hoping to save enough to get out of here, we aren't sure how yet but that's not really my point. I just want to know some pros to the places in SC, even though I know there are going to be cons also. I'm sure there are places worse than here (TX) but we have felt like we have landed in hell. The upside? Well the humidity here is almost non-existent, lol
Howdy crooked halo from Texas, too! You must live in west Texas since you say there's little humidity. We're in central Texas and not only is it hell in terms of the heat, but we also have horrible humidity.
You should definitely check out the areas Summering suggested. I'm from SC and hubby and I just returned from the beach. We've decided to retire in the Surfside Beach area, which is south of Myrtle. And believe me, the Grand Strand is a REAL beach - not like the wanna-be beaches in TX!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area