Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2010, 05:22 AM

1,019 posts, read 2,895,339 times

Advertisements

The politics in Surfside cause us to lose Nibils. I certainly can't blame them for leaving, but it will be sad to see them go. I wish them well in Myrtle Beach.

Nibils is Moving (http://www.myrtlebeachrestaurantnews.com/news/food-bytes/1402-nibils-is-moving.html - broken link)
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 06:34 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,677,432 times
This is very sad, indeed! I, too, hate to see them leave, but I would have done the same thing!

Old 10-27-2010, 08:23 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,835,450 times
Amen. A textbook case of how gov't should NOT interact with private business. Once again, they've taken a popular, long-term family business success story and turned it into a nightmare. I guess now we'll find out whose brother-in-law wanted the space on the pier.

Best of luck to the Cahill family, they deserved far, far better treatment from Surfside.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:21 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,677,432 times
Yes, PD! Won't it be so interesting to see who ends up in that space? Then we'll see (as Paul Harvey used to say) the rest of the story!

Old 10-27-2010, 10:06 AM

882 posts, read 3,540,356 times
I can understand that the Cahills didn't want to move but I think that this is the best thing that could happen to the city of Surfside. Perhaps now, the voters will remember this as they cast their next ballot. Remember the council members who made it such a hassle for a long time business to stay in business. A business that produced local jobs, almighty TAX DOLLARS, and provided a service to the local community.

It would serve the city right if the pier location sat empty for a year or more at this point.

Hopefully Jack is able to secure one of the numerous vacant restaurants in Myrtle Beach. It isn't like there aren't plenty to chose from...

Old 10-27-2010, 10:36 AM

They just announced they will be moving to 3301 N. Kings Highway in Myrtle Beach.

rrufast, I for one will not be forgetting any time soon. In the 8 months that I have lived in Surfside I have heard little bits, here and there, of some of the stuff that has gone on in this town. I had a little time on my hands this morning and decided to use the internet to try to see the big picture and it sure ain't pretty. PD posted a thread about N. Myrtle Beach the other day but I am thinking we don't have to look that far North to see what corruption looks like close-up.

Old 10-27-2010, 01:21 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,835,450 times
It's hard for me to imagine the City of MB treating them with any more grace than the disgrace displayed by the Town of Surfside. Nibils has been a well-known, well-loved tradition in a small beach town for quite awhile. Unfortunately, now they're going to be just another unknown small player in a disneyland of all-you-can-eat buffets. I wonder how many South-end locals or Surfside vacationers will make the journey up there more than once or twice. I wish them all the luck in the world, but I'm afraid they're facing an ugly new world.

You're right neecewh, ugly politics are shared throughout this area. The frustrating part is the attitude that they can do whatever they want, whenever they want, to whomever they want. When the rules don't give you the answer you're looking for, just keep changing or ignoring the rules until you get what you want. It goes on and on...

Old 10-27-2010, 10:40 PM

61 posts, read 213,973 times
This is ashame, they catered my wedding rehearsal dinner, and my sister wedding, and did a great job! I think that this is the best move for them by far, and frankly after the disgrace that Cecil and his LLC caused during the original bidding process......I can't understand how someone actually hired him again!

Old 10-28-2010, 06:49 AM

343 posts, read 727,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
Yes, PD! Won't it be so interesting to see who ends up in that space? Then we'll see (as Paul Harvey used to say) the rest of the story!
As Cecil found out, there is now a stigma attached to that space. Whoever goes in there will not only fight the challenges of opening a new business, but will have to overcome the nightmare of being the party that replaced the Cahills.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddyterp View Post
Whoever goes in there will not only fight the challenges of opening a new business, but will have to overcome the nightmare of being the party that replaced the Cahills.
Very true Teddyterp, at least for the a while I think that will be the case. In general people have very short memories though and eventually it could be a thriving spot for someone if it were not owned by the town.

I can't imagine anyone wanting anything to do with leasing a space from a local government that is not only ever changing, but in this case has proved themselves to be unscrupulous. I would be very concerned about 8.1 Operation by Tenant on the sample lease. (http://www.surfsidebeach.org/pdf/leasedraftpierrestaurant82410.pdf - broken link)There are far too many things that would be left to the interpretation and discretion of the "landlord", who, in this case, is less than trustworthy. I wouldn't want to be at the mercy of the government of Surfside as they decide if my windows are clean enough, or my walk-ins or AC unit vibrate or make too much noise. Nor would I want them dictating the minimum number of hours of operation in a given month that I must adhere to. And, who out there would want the town of Surfside determining if they were conducting business in a dignified manner or to the standard determined by the landlord? .... on the other hand if they only required you to emulate the manner and standards they have exhibited ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area