Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 07:49 PM

1,019 posts, read 2,894,324 times

Advertisements

I won't be as nice as the Sun News. What they didn't say is that the mayor made a spectacle of himself. He proclaimed (and I am paraphrasing) that in order to put and end to all the "back door deals" rumors he brought "ALL" the players with him to straighten things out. Really? All the players? 'Cause as Ann Dodge pointed out, the Sifonios, the ones that were going to lease the space, were not present.

Even though he insisting that resident who wanted to speak did not quote newspapers (which was a made up rule), and scolded anyone who dared to clap for what they agreed with, it was apparent that he failed to follow the rules himself. According to one member of council they were not even aware of his circus plans (my words not theirs) for the evening. When he failed to give Rempfer a chance to speak he decided to scold us all by making us listen to, and have the poor clerk read, the four page letter of intent, which, as the Sun News (and Vicki Blair) pointed out, was never signed by anyone. In the end, after the town council had rescinded it's approval, the mayor tried to save face (after making a complete fool out of himself IMO) by saying (and I am just paraphrasing again) how he didn't agree with this but it is is how things work. It is up to the majority, and the major voted against it.

There was at least one sensible statement made last evening. One resident did make a suggestion that the pier be sold. I gotta say, I couldn't agree more. The town of Surfside Beach has no business being in the pier business. They made that completely clear when they drove out a great local business, and then proceeded to almost get stuck in a 15 year lease which would have generated less income than they would have received had they made the Cahills welcome.

I don't even know what to say about our mayor. There are just no words to accurately describe him. I can't even say he is an *** because that would be an insult to all the donkeys of the world.

Last edited by neecewh; 05-11-2011 at 08:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 07:00 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,832,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neecewh View Post
There was at least one sensible statement made last evening. One resident did make a suggestion that the pier be sold. I gotta say, I couldn't agree more. The town of Surfside Beach has no business being in the pier business. ...I don't even know what to say about our mayor. There are just no words to accurately describe him. I can't even say he is an *** because that would be an insult to all the donkeys of the world.
LOL!! I could not agree more regarding pier ownership. If you ever want to ruin a good thing, just give a local gov't the opportunity to operate it. Of course, you've gotta be careful what you wish for. Quite a few years ago, Pawleys Pier changed hands. The new owners built condos in front of the pier and now the only way to access the pier is to own or rent one of the condo units. Gotta luv it....

Quote:
CTyankee54 wrote: I often wonder which group provides more entertainment for the Strand...Surfside City Council or the Wacamaw Economic Opportunity Council. They are both highly dysfunctional and I always shake my head when I read of their actions...
There's no doubt Surfside's City Council offers their share of amusement, but they pale in comparison to the real circus around here, Atlantic Beach Town Council. Admittedly, it's been quiet up there for awhile, but I think the courts are still trying to sort out who is on and who is off the Town Council. And of course nobody does it better than Ms Hatley and her highly skilled band of cover-up artists. Then again, there's always the strong MB coalition of City Council, Chamber of Commerce, and mysterious political contributors. They always make for exciting reading and interesting back-room deals. But let's not forget the fine team of professionals in Columbia who recently made SC a better place to live by proclaiming collards as SC's "official leafy vegetable". It's reassuring to know they're dedicated to solving our worst problems.

Yessirree, the opportunities for entertainment just go on and on....

Old 05-24-2011, 01:26 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,126,785 times
This is a ridiculous issue.

The fact that Cecil Chandler tried to back door his way into this restaurant sickens me.

I know both Jack Cahill and Cecil Chandler personally.

I worked for Jack Cahill after Hurricane Hugo destroyed the original Nibils while he was rebuilding.

I worked with Cecil Chander at TV13.

I could not have been happier that he lost his job at TV13 directly because of what he tried to do to Jack Cahill.

Cecil is finding out the hard way that the restaurant business is much much more difficult than just reporting about it.

As my grandmother used to say so often, it all comes out in the wash.

As far as Cecil's current restaurant goes, tick tock.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:03 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,675,219 times
Default Yikes!

Former tentative pier space tenant sues Town - WMBFNews.com | Myrtle Beach/Florence, SC | News, Weather, Sports

Old 07-05-2011, 09:06 AM

I was just about to post the same thing.

I have been waiting for this one. Someone needs to draw them a map so they can find their way back to the rock they crawled out from under.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:38 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,675,219 times
Default I agree!

Hahaha! Good one, neece!

Old 07-07-2011, 09:06 AM

343 posts, read 726,899 times
Betcha the Surfside council would just love to have Cahill (Nibils) back in place at whatever rent he was paying. They give Retha Pierce a run for the money.

Old 07-13-2011, 05:43 PM

Default speaking of Retha Pierce

grab a beer and some peanuts 'cause this is over 7 minutes long

Retha Pierce Sturdivant trial
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area