Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2024, 04:12 PM

26,042 posts, read 13,051,959 times

Advertisements

The NBC fake news article (propaganda) fails to mention that Florida ranks 23rd in cost of living...near the midpoint of all 50 states.

Sure, its increasing, but that is due to population growth, and high supply for; land, homes, & everything that follows.

Here's the real impetus for the article...as usual, flowwing the money:

https://www.post-journal.com/news/lo...%20two%20years.

I'm guessing somebody at CNBC got in a lot of trouble for publishing this article, & is now try to make ammends:

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/05/02/new-...ax-states.html

Last edited by beach43ofus; 04-02-2024 at 04:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2024, 04:40 PM

15,046 posts, read 12,250,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Political enemies of the State of Florida...& their accomplices...like NBC.

States who are losing Millions of taxpayers, and Billions of taxable income to Florida, are trying to stem their outbound flows of tax $'s.

Rather than correct the things that caused their residents to flee, they use propaganda to disparage our great Sunshine State to try to get them to stay, & not move the FLA.

Since the media has lost nearly all credibility, their propaganda doesn't work too well anymore, but it's all they have. They are fighting a losing battle with lies & deception.

A lot of people who move to a new State, wind up leaving their new State for whatever reason, & FLA is no different. However, the net domestic migration takes that into account, and FLA still is at or near the top every year in that metric, in #'s people, & in % growth.
That's sure what it looks like to me.... So I'm mildly amused by these clickbait articles claiming that people are moving out of Florida in droves, even as it's pretty obvious from the traffic, the building and real estate, the demands for services here that people are hardly abandoning the state in droves.

That said, I do know of two couples at present in our circle of friends who have decided to move back to the states they came from. The first couple came from TX, and really never got over their homesickness, decided to move back to be closer to their children, other family and friends back in TX. They put their home up for sale for close to 2 million, got an offer for the asking price the next day, and closed shortly after that. The buyers were a couple from New England who plan to use the house as their summer home. The second couple is torn between moving and staying. He wants to stay in Florida and she wants to move back to PA to be closer to their kids and grandkids- they spend the summers and all the holidays with the kids up there anyway. He says if they move ( to acquiesce to the wife's demands) they will still spend winters here in FL.

I've known of several other people who moved out of Florida to be closer to their family elsewhere after a spouse died. But I can't say I've known or heard personally of anyone who moved out of FL because they hated the politics.

Old 04-02-2024, 04:58 PM

18,611 posts, read 8,409,179 times
Quote:
The NBC fake news article (propaganda) fails to mention that Florida ranks 23rd in cost of living...near the midpoint of all 50 states.

Sure, its increasing, but that is due to population growth, and high supply for; land, homes, & everything that follows.

Here's the real impetus for the article...as usual, flowwing the money:

https://www.post-journal.com/news/lo...%20two%20years.

I'm guessing somebody at CNBC got in a lot of trouble for publishing this article, & is now try to make ammends:

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/05/02/new-...ax-states.html
"The biggest winner in the migration has been Florida: The Sunshine State gained a net 128,000 households in 2021, bringing over $39 billion in income"

"Nearly a third of Florida’s gain — or about $10 billion — came from New York.
California, Illinois and New Jersey each lost over $4 billion in income to Florida in 2021. "

Old 04-02-2024, 06:24 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,491,947 times
The Villages IS the world's largest 55+ community. It has been for many years. The developer is still building, and people are coming in droves, as they always have. Here's the thing though - all these people moving in now? Most of them will be dead in 30-40 years. By the time they move in, they're already in their 50's.

Old 04-02-2024, 06:54 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,220,031 times
Read that where? The Atlantic? New York Times? USA Today?

Truth is C.O.L. considered or not, everybody is leaving Dem states for FL and a few other places.

Old 04-02-2024, 09:40 PM

17,681 posts, read 13,489,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Very interesting article featuring Republicans who are leaving due to COL in Florida, but also the "anger" and "in your face political culture" in Florida. These are Republicans who don't want politics to be the center of life; it does feel that way in Florida. There is also a mention of lack of/substandard health care, which has been discussed on this board.

I'm always amazed at how people characterize the weather in Florida as "beautiful". How being greasy and sweaty for 8 months of the year is considered beautiful I will never understand.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/rcna142316
Ah, Anything But News? Must be the truth. LOL

Old 04-03-2024, 08:50 AM

3,835 posts, read 3,376,190 times
Quote:
Political enemies of the State of Florida...& their accomplices...like NBC.

States who are losing Millions of taxpayers, and Billions of taxable income to Florida, are trying to stem their outbound flows of tax $'s.

Rather than correct the things that caused their residents to flee, they use propaganda to disparage our great Sunshine State to try to get them to stay, & not move the FLA.

Since the media has lost nearly all credibility, their propaganda doesn't work too well anymore, but it's all they have. They are fighting a losing battle with lies & deception.

A lot of people who move to a new State, wind up leaving their new State for whatever reason, & FLA is no different. However, the net domestic migration takes that into account, and FLA still is at or near the top every year in that metric, in #'s people, & in % growth.
I think it needs to be broken down by region.

Southwest Florida Lee county, Charlotte County, North Port is seeing a HUGE explosion in homes listed for sale the last 6 months. Even with price slashing people can't give them away, especially Cape Coral. IMO due to Hurricane Ian. Repair cost, insurance, taxes and not wanting to deal with a major hurricane again. Builders also offering a lot of incentives to try and get sales.

A lot of these people moving to places like TN, NC, GA. I believe Punta Gorda Isles has 10 months inventory now I hear. Simply though further down the coast here houses are just not moving in the Ian impact zones.

That's probably why the city of Sarasota your area is doing much better too. Ian helped your area out by sending people your way. You only got cat1 winds up there, less damage, no surge.

Old 04-03-2024, 09:04 AM

4,515 posts, read 3,894,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
I think it needs to be broken down by region.

Southwest Florida Lee county, Charlotte County, North Port is seeing a HUGE explosion in homes listed for sale the last 6 months. Even with price slashing people can't give them away, especially Cape Coral. IMO due to Hurricane Ian. Repair cost, insurance, taxes and not wanting to deal with a major hurricane again. Builders also offering a lot of incentives to try and get sales.

A lot of these people moving to places like TN, NC, GA. I believe Punta Gorda Isles has 10 months inventory now I hear. Simply though further down the coast here houses are just not moving in the Ian impact zones.

That's probably why the city of Sarasota your area is doing much better too. Ian helped your area out by sending people your way. You only got cat1 winds up there, less damage, no surge.
YES. Some of these people are transplants from the COVID years and they were NOT impressed with Hurricane Ian, insurance companies denying claims, and also not having power/internet for weeks.

Old 04-03-2024, 09:07 AM

21,673 posts, read 31,345,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
You couldn’t be further from the truth. According to the latest market report for February 2024, Charlotte County had a median sale price which was up 4.30% from the previous month, with a total of 450 homes
sold, an increase 36.80% from the previous month and an increase of 54.10% from the prior year. The days on market for homes in Charlotte County stood at 66 days, which is a decrease of 6 days days over the previous month.

As for North Port, the explosion of homes for sale is a result of the massive development of Wellen Park, which technically have a North Port address.

I do see the market softening in SWFL, but to suggest “people can’t give them away” is not only false, the opposite is happening.

Old 04-03-2024, 09:15 AM

26,042 posts, read 13,051,959 times
The entire article is politically & economically driven propaganda, based mostly upon 2 anecdotel cases.

It's a joke...opinion piece based upon what 2 people said, out of millions who enter & leave Florida.

There are no "culture wars" in Florida, & the article provides no incidences of any. Nobody here can site any either.

FLA's cost-of-living ranks 23rd nationally, near the midpoint, so no high costs driving lots people out either. Higher property insurance costs are inflation driven, and post Ian ajustments, which are both being more than offset by increased property values.

My homeowners insurance went up $500/yr, & my home's value went up $100k/yr...I'm making money living in FLA...it's not costing me 1 cent.

How does NBC know the political affiliation of those leaving, besides the 2 people they interviewed? Voter registration data in FLA since 2020 show Dems -1M, Pubs +1M. Elections results reflect these voter registration changes. DeSantis won by 19%!

I can find almost nothing valid about this NBC article, other than insurance costs have risen, post Ian, & due to inflation everywhere.

Last edited by beach43ofus; 04-03-2024 at 09:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida