Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2024, 12:32 PM

11,887 posts, read 6,235,622 times

Advertisements

OP is still at it.

The first rule of finding yourself in a hole is to stop digging. The OP brought a backhoe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2024, 01:36 PM

24,147 posts, read 32,631,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Very interesting perspective. Thank you for sharing it.
You are welcome!

We have many relatives who live in Florida. They didn't move there until their kids were in HS or college because most school districts in Florida pale in comparison to anything on Long Island.

They are moderate Democrats and Independents. One cousin and his wife have no trouble in Dr. Philip's. We couldn't get the size and type of house we wanted there. NONE like the governor or Trump. One couple were Republicans before Trump. Now they are Indie. They are also Presbyterians and hate this Mega Church anto church stuff.

Others live in Del Ray Beach, Naples and Orlando. My husband's cousin in Orlando has had some unpleasant interactions, but she had those

We wanted to stay away from either coast because...hurricanes. I once thought that the west coast of FL was safe, now I don't.

I'm fine with snow birding for a month. I work online.

Old 04-04-2024, 02:14 PM

24,147 posts, read 32,631,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germanoricua View Post
(bold formatting done by me)

Here in Central Florida there are areas with a majority of Democrat voters. But nevertheless, their politics has never been "in my face", neither is politics here "the center of life". Basically nobody here in my area ever mentions their politics to me. I find people very friendly and open.

Somebody mentioned "culture war": There are hundreds of thousands of Latinos in this area from different Latin American countries but I have never experienced a culture war, neither in Jacksonville where I lived before. On the contrary, the Latinos here are friendly and open and welcome you with open arms in their culture if you make just a little effort, e. g. by speaking Spanish to them (not necessary but always welcome).

The other day I was in the waiting room of a doctor's office and most of the other patients (all women) were Latinas. While we were all waiting, one started a conversation with another one in Spanish, and soon we were almost all involved in the conversation. All that was missing was a cup of coffee, LOL.

Has anyone here experienced substandard or lack of healthcare? We had great healthcare in Jacksonville and so far, we have had great healthcare here. Since we are government insured (my hubby is a veteran) I have no experience with deductibles and cannot comment on that.
I think Central Florida is more mellow. It may be where the transplants are originally from, because lets face it, Florida is dominated by transplants.

I can speak for NY - especially Long Island. My first house as a bride in my 20s with my first husband, was in a very loud, and brash. THAT fact speaks to where THEY were from originally. I would say 3/4s of our first town were from a particularly "rough" part of Brooklyn. There was a lot of "chain migration". One neighbor would tell another about their beautiful beach side home on the Island, they would come down for a weekend, and tell three friends, and so on, and so on. (I feel like I am quoting an old commercial, but I can't remember which one)

Anyway, our backgrounds were very different. My first husband was a Native long Islander. When his 4 grandparents came from Sweden and Northern Ireland, they found jobs on the Island, so they never lived in the city. My family has been here for many generations, especially the Dutch, French and English.

Both of my parents' families were from the Riverdale section of The Bronx, lower upstate NY, and Bayside, Queens, NY. These are NOT places where people are "in your face" about anything. They have good schools and people are very genteel.

I am still close friends with my ex and when we get together, we often talk about those seven years in Shirley. How crazy they were. The schools sucked so we sent ours to The Raynor School. We took a lot of flack for that. Our kids would be "sissies" not know how to fight" - especially the boys.

Oh and they wouldn't be apple to handle themselves "on the street". They also said I made too much of a big deal of education and boys should work with your hands. Her sons ended up going to two year career focused SUNY schools And dropped out. Then the three brothers "took to the streets".

I am sorry but handling themselves in the streets was not a goal of ours.

I just found out that one of these acquaintances/ friends of mine, whose son learned how to fight, took it a step further - HE MURDERED is BABY MAMAS new BOYFRIEND.

AND she is moving to either Port St. Lucie or Palm Bay. Loves Trump. Loves your Gov.

Many new Floridians are like Barbara. She grew up in Foster Care in a working class town on Long Island filled with a lot of former Brooklynites. Her husband was "Straight Otta Brooklyn".

Here's the story - https://www.suffolkcountyny.gov/da/N...ng-prosecution

She isn't fleeing FL - she is MOVING to FLORIDA. With their 31 year old son who has priors.

https://patch.com/new-york/shirley-m...suffolk-police

Last edited by sheena12; 04-04-2024 at 02:34 PM..

Old 04-04-2024, 02:45 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,954,923 times
I am 91,had to return to a much worse state,tax happy CT.Lived in Lake City for 20 of my 25 years TAX free,$75 exemptions.
No complaints,enjoyed the new growth

Old 04-04-2024, 04:40 PM

4,515 posts, read 3,894,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I think Central Florida is more mellow. It may be where the transplants are originally from, because lets face it, Florida is dominated by transplants.

I can speak for NY - especially Long Island. My first house as a bride in my 20s with my first husband, was in a very loud, and brash. THAT fact speaks to where THEY were from originally. I would say 3/4s of our first town were from a particularly "rough" part of Brooklyn. There was a lot of "chain migration". One neighbor would tell another about their beautiful beach side home on the Island, they would come down for a weekend, and tell three friends, and so on, and so on. (I feel like I am quoting an old commercial, but I can't remember which one)

Anyway, our backgrounds were very different. My first husband was a Native long Islander. When his 4 grandparents came from Sweden and Northern Ireland, they found jobs on the Island, so they never lived in the city. My family has been here for many generations, especially the Dutch, French and English.

Both of my parents' families were from the Riverdale section of The Bronx, lower upstate NY, and Bayside, Queens, NY. These are NOT places where people are "in your face" about anything. They have good schools and people are very genteel.

I am still close friends with my ex and when we get together, we often talk about those seven years in Shirley. How crazy they were. The schools sucked so we sent ours to The Raynor School. We took a lot of flack for that. Our kids would be "sissies" not know how to fight" - especially the boys.

Oh and they wouldn't be apple to handle themselves "on the street". They also said I made too much of a big deal of education and boys should work with your hands. Her sons ended up going to two year career focused SUNY schools And dropped out. Then the three brothers "took to the streets".

I am sorry but handling themselves in the streets was not a goal of ours.

I just found out that one of these acquaintances/ friends of mine, whose son learned how to fight, took it a step further - HE MURDERED is BABY MAMAS new BOYFRIEND.

AND she is moving to either Port St. Lucie or Palm Bay. Loves Trump. Loves your Gov.

Many new Floridians are like Barbara. She grew up in Foster Care in a working class town on Long Island filled with a lot of former Brooklynites. Her husband was "Straight Otta Brooklyn".

Here's the story - https://www.suffolkcountyny.gov/da/N...ng-prosecution

She isn't fleeing FL - she is MOVING to FLORIDA. With their 31 year old son who has priors.

https://patch.com/new-york/shirley-m...suffolk-police

Wow, that's a frightening story!

Old 04-04-2024, 05:00 PM

15,046 posts, read 12,250,491 times
I don't see it here in Charlotte county either. Or in any of the surrounding areas we frequent.

Old 04-04-2024, 05:13 PM

11,912 posts, read 5,884,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Why do you keep driving that false narrative?

The average home price in most cities is 400K or above, which ranks 17th overall.

The average rent for a two-bedroom apartment in the larger cities is $2500 or better per month. FL ranks 7th for highest rents by state.

Homeowners Insurance averages $4000 per year and is among the top 5 most expensive states.

Full-coverage Automobile Insurance is $329 a month on average or about $3900 per year, the 2nd most expensive in the country.

Florida has the 5th highest Grocery Store prices in the country, averaging about $1200 a month.

FL ranks 49th for Income Inequality in 2024.

FL's health insurance costs are five times the national average at 11K per year and have the highest average deductible (almost $7K)
Could you please post the charts that give these numbers? Thanks!

Old 04-04-2024, 05:28 PM

8,001 posts, read 9,211,990 times
I dont understand the OP. Supposedly has homes in Maui and Paris yet stays in a place he despises so badly. Why would you do that?

Every place has their own issues. Fl has homeless NY has migrants. Both have traffic. Florida has Trumpers NY has Palestinian aggitators. Florida is still cheaper than NY, so it draws people there.

If political signs bother you so much whether Trump, BLM or any other stuff, maybe you are taking this too personally.

Old 04-04-2024, 05:39 PM

848 posts, read 2,837,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
You may call DeSantis "polarizing", but I think that a more accurate way of describing him is that he is a person with strong convictions about freedom and the rights of the individual.
Like the rights of women to make decisions about their own bodies?

Old 04-04-2024, 06:15 PM

504 posts, read 535,090 times
I wish that politicians would start using (R) for Republican and (T) for MAGA. Then we can see who is moving, R or T.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida