Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2024, 05:57 AM

4,515 posts, read 3,894,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Could not rep you but you nailed it.

We really considered FL however, this "in your face" and "pick a fight" politics is more than I can handle. Instead, we bought a house on the outskirts of Cleveland.

I prefer snow to the cold shoulder and argumentative people. I can be friends with anyone as long as they are not racists. I regularly rep people who are Republican here on City Dogs.

There are still places where people can come together.

I will guess that many of the newer Floridians, are Trumpublicans from Suffolk County. They are from towns like Shirley, Selden, Mastc, Mastic Beach, Medford, Islip, Oakdale, East Islip, Farmingville, Centereach, Manorville, Lindenhurst, Holbrook, Holtsville, Sound Beach and Rocky Point.
In Nassau, Levittown is very right wing.

This hate filled type of politics has been brewing since the Clinton administration. This stated brewing with Rush Limbaugh and Fox News.

Very interesting perspective. Thank you for sharing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2024, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanoricua View Post
(bold formatting done by me)

Here in Central Florida there are areas with a majority of Democrat voters. But nevertheless, their politics has never been "in my face", neither is politics here "the center of life". Basically nobody here in my area ever mentions their politics to me. I find people very friendly and open.

Somebody mentioned "culture war": There are hundreds of thousands of Latinos in this area from different Latin American countries but I have never experienced a culture war, neither in Jacksonville where I lived before. On the contrary, the Latinos here are friendly and open and welcome you with open arms in their culture if you make just a little effort, e. g. by speaking Spanish to them (not necessary but always welcome).

The other day I was in the waiting room of a doctor's office and most of the other patients (all women) were Latinas. While we were all waiting, one started a conversation with another one in Spanish, and soon we were almost all involved in the conversation. All that was missing was a cup of coffee, LOL.

Has anyone here experienced substandard or lack of healthcare? We had great healthcare in Jacksonville and so far, we have had great healthcare here. Since we are government insured (my hubby is a veteran) I have no experience with deductibles and cannot comment on that.

I think the in your face politics also refers to the many cars here with F*** JOE BIDEN (the F word is spelled out on the sticker for all of our children to read) bumper stickers, the trucks waving giant Trump flags from the back, the many homes with F*** JOE BIDEN flags waving from the front yard. It is not unusual to be strolling down Main Street in Dunedin and see a parade of trucks with giant Make America Great Again of F Joe Biden flags (I am using Dunedin as an example but it could happen anywhere in FLA). This has been going on since 2016 really in Florida.

I spend a lot of time traveling across the country and driving and I just don't see that as much in other states, whether they are red or blue.

And you are correct that liberals do not engage in such divisive displays of political BS.

Old 04-04-2024, 08:33 AM

268 posts, read 265,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
And you are correct that liberals do not engage in such divisive displays of political BS.
You misunderstood me. In general, I see hate, intolerance and racism mostly coming from the liberals. But in my personal surroundings, all (Republican, independent and Democrat voters) mostly keep their politics to themselves. I do not experience any "in your face" politicized vibe.

In my area all 3 groups represent more or less around 30%.

Old 04-04-2024, 09:20 AM

Quote:
You misunderstood me. In general, I see hate, intolerance and racism mostly coming from the liberals. But in my personal surroundings, all (Republican, independent and Democrat voters) mostly keep their politics to themselves. I do not experience any "in your face" politicized vibe.

In my area all 3 groups represent more or less around 30%.

I get what you are saying, but when was the last time you saw a person in Florida (or another state) driving a pickup truck waving a giant "F DONALD TRUMP" (with F word spelled out) flag from the back?

I have never ever seen that in Florida or anywhere else.

I have however seen many Floridians doing that with F JOE BIDEN flags (again, with the F word spelled out) waving from their trucks, their boats, their cars, their homes..........the last time I paddled on the Weekie Wachee river, several homes had F (spelled out) JOE BIDEN flags flying in their yards, visible from my kayak. There we are, trying to relax in nature, and BOOM somebody has polluted the river with politics. I would feel the same way if the flag said F DONALD TRUMP.

https://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Indoo.../dp/B08MW1N52V

Old 04-04-2024, 10:16 AM

Quote:
I get what you are saying, but when was the last time you saw a person in Florida (or another state) driving a pickup truck waving a giant "F DONALD TRUMP" (with F word spelled out) flag from the back?

I have never ever seen that in Florida or anywhere else.

I have however seen many Floridians doing that with F JOE BIDEN flags (again, with the F word spelled out) waving from their trucks, their boats, their cars, their homes..........the last time I paddled on the Weekie Wachee river, several homes had F (spelled out) JOE BIDEN flags flying in their yards, visible from my kayak. There we are, trying to relax in nature, and BOOM somebody has polluted the river with politics. I would feel the same way if the flag said F DONALD TRUMP.

https://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Indoo.../dp/B08MW1N52V
OK, I get what you are saying. I do, however, not see that here in the Orlando area.

Old 04-04-2024, 10:39 AM

Quote:
OK, I get what you are saying. I do, however, not see that here in the Orlando area.
Maybe not "the Orlando area" but the Villages is actually famous for this stuff with signs, flags etc

https://www.thebulwark.com/the-flori...ough-of-trump/

Old 04-04-2024, 10:55 AM

17,577 posts, read 39,266,352 times
Quote:
I don't see that here in my Lakeland/Winter Haven area, either. Like your experience, here most folks are nice and friendly (and pretty diverse) and keep politics mostly to themselves. Sure there can be a few outliers anywhere, but again, I don't see it.

Old 04-04-2024, 11:42 AM

6,120 posts, read 3,833,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I don't see that here in my Lakeland/Winter Haven area, either. Like your experience, here most folks are nice and friendly (and pretty diverse) and keep politics mostly to themselves. Sure there can be a few outliers anywhere, but again, I don't see it.
Neither do I see it in my part of Central Florida. Apparently, a few libs see a few rednecks waving/flying the FJB flag and then want to believe, or make others believe, that ALL of Florida is that way. No, it isn't.

Old 04-04-2024, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Maybe not "the Orlando area" but the Villages is actually famous for this stuff with signs, flags etc

https://www.thebulwark.com/the-flori...ough-of-trump/
I think The Villages are an outlier. I was probably right assuming that one or all 3 of the individuals they interviewed in the article were RINOS (or Democrate voters) living in The Villages.

Old 04-04-2024, 12:29 PM

16,741 posts, read 8,725,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
"Republicans fleeing Florida?" LOL. It's just the opposite. Republican are FLOCKING to Florida, and a lot of the smarter Democrats too.

I'm afraid that your April Fool's joke is a day too early.

Exactly

FL has a Republican super majority in their state House/Senate, a (R) governor, and two (R) US senators.
You don't achieve that having "Republicans fleeing".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida