Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2024, 09:16 AM

4,474 posts, read 3,842,069 times

Advertisements

Very interesting article featuring Republicans who are leaving due to COL in Florida, but also the "anger" and "in your face political culture" in Florida. These are Republicans who don't want politics to be the center of life; it does feel that way in Florida. There is also a mention of lack of/substandard health care, which has been discussed on this board.

I'm always amazed at how people characterize the weather in Florida as "beautiful". How being greasy and sweaty for 8 months of the year is considered beautiful I will never understand.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/rcna142316
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2024, 09:28 AM

5,954 posts, read 3,706,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Very interesting article featuring Republicans who are leaving due to COL in Florida, but also the "anger" and "in your face political culture" in Florida. These are Republicans who don't want politics to be the center of life; it does feel that way in Florida. There is also a mention of lack of/substandard health care, which has been discussed on this board.

I'm always amazed at how people characterize the weather in Florida as "beautiful". How being greasy and sweaty for 8 months of the year is considered beautiful I will never understand.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/rcna142316
"Republicans fleeing Florida?" LOL. It's just the opposite. Republican are FLOCKING to Florida, and a lot of the smarter Democrats too.

I'm afraid that your April Fool's joke is a day too early.

Old 03-31-2024, 11:10 AM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
That article was linked to the AOL homepage, an obvious hit piece by a basher of All Things Florida. Thought it was interesting they quoted three people out of the approx. 333,000 or so transplants who've moved to Florida in the last several years or so, and of course the chronically dissatisfied with everything reader for whom the piece is intended is supposed to extrapolate these anecdotal incidents, nudged along by the tone of the article as universal and affecting all residents in the Sunshine State, LOL.

Well, suffice it to say that while I am not thrilled to see the continued influx into Florida of transplants particularly from the northeast, so I might have to admit to hoping that such negative press on the state of the state in Florida might quell the influx even a little bit, I'd have to say my experiences as a long time FL have been virtually the polar opposite to those expressed in the article.

But why am I not surprised in the slightest to see the article make its way into the CD Florida thread in yet another unilateral "bash all things Florida
" yadayada?

Old 03-31-2024, 11:37 AM

18,426 posts, read 8,258,982 times
it's the number of registered democrats that keeps going down......

democrats have lost 1 million...1,000,000.....registered Florida democrats...in just 3 years

https://dos.fl.gov/elections/data-st...y-affiliation/

Old 03-31-2024, 11:52 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
I think a drilldown into the type of Republican moving to FL versus the average Republican leaving is more the topic at hand. The inbound variety tends to be the MAGA-element of the party while the traditional centrist Republicans have felt as many registered Democrats have that it's no longer a suitable place to live based on a combination of factors including a polarizing governor and his antics along with a subservient state government and a sky-rocketing cost of living.

Old 03-31-2024, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I think a drilldown into the type of Republican moving to FL versus the average Republican leaving is more the topic at hand. The inbound variety tends to be the MAGA-element of the party while the traditional centrist Republicans have felt as many registered Democrats have that it's no longer a suitable place to live based on a combination of factors including a polarizing governor and his antics along with a subservient state government and a sky-rocketing cost of living.
Exactly.

Old 03-31-2024, 01:05 PM

5,954 posts, read 3,706,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
You may call DeSantis "polarizing", but I think that a more accurate way of describing him is that he is a person with strong convictions about freedom and the rights of the individual. He's also against indoctrination of our youth in Wokeism.

The opposite of DeSantis would be a governor who is wishy-washy about everything and never takes a stand based on principles, but rather holds a wetted finger to the wind to see which way the political winds are blowing before deciding whether he's for or against something. Then he gingerly tiptoes in the direction that he thinks the wind is blowing but is ready to do an about-face at the first sign of changing political sentiment. No thanks! I'll take the principled governor who stands up for the rights of the people any day.

Old 03-31-2024, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
You may call DeSantis "polarizing", but I think that a more accurate way of describing him is that he is a person with strong convictions about freedom and the rights of the individual. He's also against indoctrination of our youth in Wokeism.

The opposite of DeSantis would be a governor who is wishy-washy about everything and never takes a stand based on principles, but rather holds a wetted finger to the wind to see which way the political winds are blowing before deciding whether he's for or against something. Then he gingerly tiptoes in the direction that he thinks the wind is blowing but is ready to do an about-face at the first sign of changing political sentiment. No thanks! I'll take the principled governor who stands up for the rights of the people any day.

How about standing up for the rights of his people to NOT be fleeced by insurance companies????? I would have no complaints about DeSantis if he was actually doing something to rein in the gouging of Floridians by property insurers. Instead my insurance goes up by $2500 every single damn year.

Old 03-31-2024, 01:08 PM

9,110 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Well some people are leaving Florida- people move for many reasons, not just the malcontents highlighted in the NBC article.

But they aren't necessarily moving back whence they came.

The top five states receiving Florida former residents in 2022 were:

Georgia: 51,380
Texas: 41,747
North Carolina: 34,920
California: 28,557
Tennessee: 25,318

Moreover, only about 35% of Florida residents were born in Florida. They are clearly moving here.

Compare that to the almost 60% of Californians that were born in California and 63% of New Yorkers born in New York. These states are not getting an influx of out of state transplants.

Old 03-31-2024, 01:09 PM

9,110 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
How about standing up for the rights of his people to NOT be fleeced by insurance companies????? I would have no complaints about DeSantis if he was actually doing something to rein in the gouging of Floridians by property insurers. Instead my insurance goes up by $2500 every single damn year.

Yet- here you stay. One does wonder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida