Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2024, 01:11 PM

11,402 posts, read 5,960,793 times

Advertisements

NBC news is trying to spin against recent news that Florida is flipping red due to all of the conservatives moving their. NBC is just cherry picking in the hopes of scaring off some conservatives.

Are people leaving Florida due to costs and insurance problems, etc. Yes, but it is far from just conservatives. The lower middle class is having it tough right now in Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2024, 01:20 PM

4,474 posts, read 3,842,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
NBC news is trying to spin against recent news that Florida is flipping red due to all of the conservatives moving their. NBC is just cherry picking in the hopes of scaring off some conservatives.

Are people leaving Florida due to costs and insurance problems, etc. Yes, but it is far from just conservatives. The lower middle class is having it tough right now in Florida.
Well I think we already know -- it's clear from the data -- that leftists are leaving Florida in droves. But I think it's new that conservatives are also leaving. And it's interesting to see the kinds of conservatives that are leaving.

Old 03-31-2024, 01:23 PM

5,962 posts, read 3,706,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
How about standing up for the rights of his people to NOT be fleeced by insurance companies????? I would have no complaints about DeSantis if he was actually doing something to rein in the gouging of Floridians by property insurers. Instead my insurance goes up by $2500 every single damn year.
Perhaps that's what the TRUE cost is for providing insurance for your property. Perhaps your property is close to the coast and subject to greater danger of hurricane damage.

My property is located well inland and worth perhaps $450K and I'm paying $3,100 per year for full coverage with extra high liability coverage. If your insurance premium goes up "by $2500 every single damn year" then perhaps it's because of the choices you make regarding location and features.

And, if insurance in Florida is such a rip-off, then why are several large insurance companies leaving the state? If they're making such a killing by "fleecing" the policyholders, then why wouldn't they stay and rake in all those profits?

Old 03-31-2024, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Well I think we already know -- it's clear from the data -- that leftists are leaving Florida in droves. But I think it's new that conservatives are also leaving. And it's interesting to see the kinds of conservatives that are leaving.
Massive inflation. Housing crisis. Insurance crisis for both homes and cars. Overcrowding. Infrastructure not keeping up with growth.

There is a lot of reasons pushing people out of Florida.

Old 03-31-2024, 01:26 PM

18,429 posts, read 8,258,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Well some people are leaving Florida-
around a 1/2 million people move out of Florida every year....

Florida's population increases a little over 1/4 million every year

so somewhere around 3/4 million people are moving to Florida every year

..and yet, the number of registered democrats stays mostly the same year after year...if they are leaving in "droves".....they are being replaced in "droves"

Old 03-31-2024, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Massive inflation. Housing crisis. Insurance crisis for both homes and cars. Overcrowding. Infrastructure not keeping up with growth.

There is a lot of reasons pushing people out of Florida.
But clearly, the numbers show that there are a lot more people moving IN than moving OUT. AND, when we consider the large number of elderly who die each year, then the influx must be great just to replace those people. In short, a LOT more people are voluntarily moving INTO Florida than are voluntarily moving OUT of Florida. And I don't expect this trend to change in the near future as long as DeSantis, or someone like him, is governor.

Old 03-31-2024, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
around a 1/2 million people move out of Florida every year....

Florida's population increases a little over 1/4 million every year

so somewhere around 3/4 million people are moving to Florida every year

..and yet, the number of registered democrats stays mostly the same year after year...if they are leaving in "droves".....they are being replaced in "droves"

Actually, Florida's population is increasing faster than that. It's almost 2% per year or approximately 420,000 people.

"Florida's population increased by 1.9% to 22,244,823 between 2021 and 2022."

https://www.census.gov/library/stori...ing-state.html

Old 03-31-2024, 01:49 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Perhaps that's what the TRUE cost is for providing insurance for your property. Perhaps your property is close to the coast and subject to greater danger of hurricane damage.

My property is located well inland and worth perhaps $450K and I'm paying $3,100 per year for full coverage with extra high liability coverage. If your insurance premium goes up "by $2500 every single damn year" then perhaps it's because of the choices you make regarding location and features.

And, if insurance in Florida is such a rip-off, then why are several large insurance companies leaving the state? If they're making such a killing by "fleecing" the policyholders, then why wouldn't they stay and rake in all those profits?

Our property is well inland (Lakeland) and even though 1975 construction, full coverage is less than $2,000 per year. So not everyone is paying through the nose. I have to agree that if someone's coverage goes up by $2,500 every single damn year) there is something really off. I don't know ANYONE paying that kind of coverage unless it is a multimillion dollar mansion.

Old 03-31-2024, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
But clearly, the numbers show that there are a lot more people moving IN than moving OUT. AND, when we consider the large number of elderly who die each year, then the influx must be great just to replace those people. In short, a LOT more people are voluntarily moving INTO Florida than are voluntarily moving OUT of Florida. And I don't expect this trend to change in the near future as long as DeSantis, or someone like him, is governor.

I never said people were not moving in. Florida is a medium cost state. If you are an upper class retiree, you can afford a home and the cost of living. How many lower income people are flocking to Florida?

I simply meant that a lot of long time Floridians are suddenly being priced out of living in Florida post-Covid between inflation generally and all of the Florida-specific problems.

Old 03-31-2024, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Our property is well inland (Lakeland) and even though 1975 construction, full coverage is less than $2,000 per year. So not everyone is paying through the nose. I have to agree that if someone's coverage goes up by $2,500 every single damn year) there is something really off. I don't know ANYONE paying that kind of coverage unless it is a multimillion dollar mansion.
Is the roofing crisis just coastal or everywhere. Did you re-roof your house within the last 20 years?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida