Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2024, 07:33 PM

1,212 posts, read 501,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Very interesting article featuring Republicans who are leaving due to COL in Florida, but also the "anger" and "in your face political culture" in Florida. These are Republicans who don't want politics to be the center of life; it does feel that way in Florida. There is also a mention of lack of/substandard health care, which has been discussed on this board.

I'm always amazed at how people characterize the weather in Florida as "beautiful". How being greasy and sweaty for 8 months of the year is considered beautiful I will never understand.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/rcna142316
The political affiliation of the 2 women mentioned in the article was never mentioned lol. That a serious clickbait lie title thread. Shameful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2024, 07:39 PM

11,402 posts, read 5,960,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
We purchased this home last year, roof was last done about 10 years ago.
I was asking Chas863 how old his roof is, because home insurance costs for houses with roofs over 15 years old seem to be far more expensive to insure, if they are insurable at all. Also, many insurers only insure for cash value, not replacement. So if your 10 year old roof is wiped out, they only pay a fraction of replacement cost since it only had 5 years left on its 15-year design life.

He is citing reasonable home insurance costs, and I am trying to determine if that is because he is far from the coast, because his roof is new, or if neither come into play.

Old 03-31-2024, 07:57 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
The state keeps moving further right, but believe what you want hahaha

Old 03-31-2024, 09:17 PM

5,962 posts, read 3,706,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I was asking Chas863 how old his roof is, because home insurance costs for houses with roofs over 15 years old seem to be far more expensive to insure, if they are insurable at all. Also, many insurers only insure for cash value, not replacement. So if your 10 year old roof is wiped out, they only pay a fraction of replacement cost since it only had 5 years left on its 15-year design life.

He is citing reasonable home insurance costs, and I am trying to determine if that is because he is far from the coast, because his roof is new, or if neither come into play.
Oh, sorry. I didn't know that your previous question was directed at me. My house roof is about 8 or 9 years old (to the best of my recollection). My house is insured for Replacement Cost (up to the limit of my policy) although I'm not certain if that applies to the roof... but I THINK it does. I'm located reasonably close to the middle of the state geographically.

Old 04-01-2024, 04:55 AM

2,642 posts, read 1,371,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
You may call DeSantis "polarizing", but I think that a more accurate way of describing him is that he is a person with strong convictions about freedom and the rights of the individual. He's also against indoctrination of our youth in Wokeism.

The opposite of DeSantis would be a governor who is wishy-washy about everything and never takes a stand based on principles, but rather holds a wetted finger to the wind to see which way the political winds are blowing before deciding whether he's for or against something. Then he gingerly tiptoes in the direction that he thinks the wind is blowing but is ready to do an about-face at the first sign of changing political sentiment. No thanks! I'll take the principled governor who stands up for the rights of the people any day.

What exactly is wrong with "wokeism"? The term evolved to describe those who were "awake" to the injustices suffered by others, which have been many? What is wrong with that? Is it somehow better not to be "woke"?

Old 04-01-2024, 05:20 AM

5,294 posts, read 5,233,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Our property is well inland (Lakeland) and even though 1975 construction, full coverage is less than $2,000 per year. So not everyone is paying through the nose. I have to agree that if someone's coverage goes up by $2,500 every single damn year) there is something really off. I don't know ANYONE paying that kind of coverage unless it is a multimillion dollar mansion.
Yes, this sounds like my property, tho my house is 20 years old. Premium is $1500 a year. Went up about $150 from last year. Our stories dont make for good "I Hate Florida" stories, tho.

Old 04-01-2024, 05:22 AM

8,754 posts, read 5,042,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Massive inflation. Housing crisis. Insurance crisis for both homes and cars. Overcrowding. Infrastructure not keeping up with growth.

There is a lot of reasons pushing people out of Florida.
The same could be said about the Carolinas, and many other states. Be happy you have DeSantis, at least you do not have to worry about squatters moving into your homes anymore. DeSantis is tough on crime....think about states like NY.....maybe you would be happy there.

Old 04-01-2024, 06:06 AM

25,693 posts, read 12,772,161 times
I've lived in Florida most of my adult life.

I have never seen any culture wars here, have you?

My Homeowners policy just went from $1,700/yr to $2,200/yr. but my home value went from $550k to ~$1M in the past 5 yrs, so I'm way up overall.

In fact, the apreciation on our home, if we sold, will have paid ALL of our expenses over the past 5 yrs...it's like we are being paid to live in Florida.

Nearly every homeowner in the State is in the same boat we are. For most renters, its a very different story, & whose fault is that?

How does political affiliation or sentiment change any of this ^^^ ?

Old 04-01-2024, 06:17 AM

4,474 posts, read 3,842,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Ever heard of Hurricanes? I think not. Post again after FLA's population recedes...like most of the states you like. FLA's winning winning winning...I'd hate to be on the other side.

More Americans want to move to FLA than any other state...not New York or California. NY + CA = Exodus
I am a native Floridian, born and raised, so yes I've heard of hurricanes. Are you saying that insurance premiums are up due to hurricanes? Hurricanes are actually down in frequency in Fla.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/pastdec.shtml

Homeowners insurance in Florida has NEVER been as high as it is now as a percentage of income.

So, through all of those years of hurricanes I have gone through in Florida, in the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 2010s, the ratio of average homeowners' insurance expenditures to median household income was never above 1%

Today that ratio is above 5% in Florida.

What has changed?

Skyrocketing fraudulent insurance claims and price-gouging from the insurers.

Which DeSantis is doing NOTHING about.

Let me repeat for those in the back: Homeowners insurance in Florida has NEVER been as high as it is now as a percentage of income.

Old 04-01-2024, 06:20 AM

4,474 posts, read 3,842,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
The state keeps moving further right, but believe what you want hahaha
Absolutely true! Just never heard of Republicans leaving the state due to the reasons stated by ex-Florida Republicans in this article (politics in your face etc.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida