Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2024, 10:13 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,188,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
It's the downside of all places attractive to outsiders. Just like Californian money has thrown the local housing economies of many Western states out of whack, NE corridor money has done the same from Charleston southward.
The "attractive to outsiders" component is changing rapidly as mid-tier cities begin to show signs of inbound economic transplants from cities with income inequity issues. If you do a little research there's a lot of mention of cities in the Midwest as new options given their usual bigger city infrastructures and very favorable income to cost of living ratios.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2024, 10:38 AM

26,042 posts, read 13,051,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
I am a native Floridian, born and raised, so yes I've heard of hurricanes. Are you saying that insurance premiums are up due to hurricanes? Hurricanes are actually down in frequency in Fla.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/pastdec.shtml

Homeowners insurance in Florida has NEVER been as high as it is now as a percentage of income.

So, through all of those years of hurricanes I have gone through in Florida, in the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 2010s, the ratio of average homeowners' insurance expenditures to median household income was never above 1%

Today that ratio is above 5% in Florida.

What has changed?

Skyrocketing fraudulent insurance claims and price-gouging from the insurers.

Which DeSantis is doing NOTHING about.

Let me repeat for those in the back: Homeowners insurance in Florida has NEVER been as high as it is now as a percentage of income.

Homeowners insurance costa have risen natonwide, nust just in FLA. FLA was recently hit hard by Ian, and is still in recovery mode.

What has changed? inflation, labor shortages for skilled construction labor (mechanicals especially), supply chain disruptions, lumber costs and shortages, FEMA placing more and more properties into higher risk flood zones, increased energy costs, fraud, legal costs, home valuations are up 95% too, so homeowners are needing more coverage for higher valuations....class dismissed.

Those who say DeSantis has done nothing are policitally motivated, and are not citing fact. The Internet is your friend, search for it and you'll see the laws he's passed to help homeowners in the past year.

FLA adds more residents than any other state, & the growth is the envy of every other state. Florida ranks 23rd overall in cost of living, so while not cheap, still near the mid point.

Florida is winning winning winning, & its political enemies are losing, & can't stand it, so attack the free state of FLA and its Governor

Anyone who doesn't like Florida, is free to leave at any time...there are plenty of people waiting to take their place....from places like CA, NY, NJ, MA, CT, MI, IL, ect... the states that are in debt up to their eyeballs that people are fleeing due to high taxes, & c.o.l..

Old 04-01-2024, 10:43 AM

4,515 posts, read 3,894,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
inflation, labor shortages for skilled construction labor (mechanicals especially), supply chain disruptions, lumber costs and shortages, FEMA placing more and more properties into higher risk flood zones, increased energy costs, fraud, legal costs, home valuations are up 95% too, so homeowners are needing more coverage for higher valuations.

Those who say DeSantis has done nothing are policitally motivated, and are not citiing fact. The Internet is your friend, search for it and you'll see the laws he'd passed to help homeowners in the past year.

Sorry. I don't give a rats butt about politics. The only thing I care about is cost of living, which includes not being fleeced by insurance companies.

I would move to RED STATE IOWA, which is retiree heaven as far as cost of living goes, in a second if I could sever my business and family ties to Florida.

Old 04-01-2024, 10:50 AM

3,239 posts, read 2,462,381 times
Quote:
Very interesting article featuring Republicans who are leaving due to COL in Florida, but also the "anger" and "in your face political culture" in Florida. These are Republicans who don't want politics to be the center of life; it does feel that way in Florida. There is also a mention of lack of/substandard health care, which has been discussed on this board.

I'm always amazed at how people characterize the weather in Florida as "beautiful". How being greasy and sweaty for 8 months of the year is considered beautiful I will never understand.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/rcna142316
NBC news, enough said. All lies. None of that is true. Yes, like other states healthcare is hard to come by in the middle of nowhere, but if you are near a major city there is no substandard health care issues. In fact, Jacksonville has some of the best treatments for prostate cancer with 3 Proton facilities. Other cancers are being treated with proton radiation such as breast cancer and brain cancer. These three are not the only ones in the state either. Florida has 8 in total. FYI Massachusetts has one facility in Boston and it is the only one in all of New England. New York has one in the city. Even California where it started has only two. So yeah I guess Florida has substandard health care.

Old 04-01-2024, 01:28 PM

18,611 posts, read 8,409,179 times
republicans fleeing Florida......it was only 3 years ago that there were more registered democrats than republicans

the numbers of registered democrats keeps going down.....
....the numbers of registered republicans keeps going up

today's news > APRIL 1, 2024

The Republican Party of Florida holds an 855,000 edge over Democrats in voter registrations

"The Republican Party of Florida continued to extend its voter registration advantage during the first two months of 2024, topping Democrats by more than 855,000 voters as of Feb. 29, according to newly posted totals on the state Division of Elections website."

"The totals show 5,215,016 voters were registered as Republicans at the end of February, while 4,359,315 were registered as Democrats."

"The 855,701-voter Republican advantage over Democrats compared to a 779,701-voter edge on Dec. 31."....a gain of 76,000 republicans in only 2 months

https://www.wmnf.org/republican-part...registrations/

Last edited by Corrie22; 04-01-2024 at 01:37 PM..

Old 04-01-2024, 08:38 PM

488 posts, read 657,067 times
Just got coverage on my 1250 sf cement block house, metal roof, in Dunnellon, FL, about 25 miles from the beach (Gulf side), $250K coverage, $1129 a year through Slide. Where the heck are you people getting your quotes from?

Contact NSure.com. They got my coverage through Citizens which was $1150 a year and Slide will take over on 11/1/24 when the Citizens policy runs out. Geez, it's not rocket science. Do some research instead of sitting on the 'net here whining.

FYI, Progressive is not ever cheaper than anywhere else, whether it's car, home, whatever.

Old 04-01-2024, 08:50 PM

20,933 posts, read 9,632,582 times
Home Insurance Prices Are Soaring — Especially in These 5 States
Quote:
Here are the top five states where home insurance got more expensive from May 2021 to May 2023.

1. Florida: 68% ($1,127 to $1,896)
2. New Mexico: 47% ($855 to $1,255)
3. Colorado: 46% ($1,390 to $2,031)
4. Idaho: 46% ($552 to $804)
5. Texas: 46% ($1,471 to $2,141)

Old 04-01-2024, 09:22 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,657,266 times
Quote:
Sorry. I don't give a rats butt about politics. The only thing I care about is cost of living, which includes not being fleeced by insurance companies.

I would move to RED STATE IOWA, which is retiree heaven as far as cost of living goes, in a second if I could sever my business and family ties to Florida.
Aren't Maui and Paris two of the most expensive places on planet Earth? What is your real complaint?

Old 04-01-2024, 09:52 PM

24,413 posts, read 27,094,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Aren't Maui and Paris two of the most expensive places on planet Earth? What is your real complaint?
LOL the OP says she doesnt care about politics and then changes the title of the article to make it political.

Old 04-01-2024, 10:42 PM

6,751 posts, read 6,772,559 times
Quote:
Poor journalism and written with an agenda rather than a study of facts. Florida now has over 20 million people and is growing rapidly. Unlike NY and California, the state runs a surplus and I've been there enough times and can say they talk about politics no more or no less than anyone else.

This really is garbage and says more about NBC News than Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida