Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2024, 10:25 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,188,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus;66604208

[B
FLA's cost-of-living ranks 23rd nationally, near the midpoint[/b], so no high costs driving lots people out either. Higher property insurance costs are inflation driven, and post Ian ajustments, which are both being more than offset by increased property values.

My homeowners insurance went up $500/yr, & my home's value went up $100k/yr...I'm making money living in FLA...it's not costing me 1 cent.
Why do you keep driving that false narrative?

The average home price in most cities is 400K or above, which ranks 17th overall.

The average rent for a two-bedroom apartment in the larger cities is $2500 or better per month. FL ranks 7th for highest rents by state.

Homeowners Insurance averages $4000 per year and is among the top 5 most expensive states.

Full-coverage Automobile Insurance is $329 a month on average or about $3900 per year, the 2nd most expensive in the country.

Florida has the 5th highest Grocery Store prices in the country, averaging about $1200 a month.

FL ranks 49th for Income Inequality in 2024.

FL's health insurance costs are five times the national average at 11K per year and have the highest average deductible (almost $7K)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2024, 11:13 AM

21,673 posts, read 31,345,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post

The average home price in most cities is 400K or above, which ranks 17th overall.

The average rent for a two-bedroom apartment in the larger cities is $2500 or better per month. FL ranks 7th for highest rents by state.

Homeowners Insurance averages $4000 per year and is among the top 5 most expensive states.

Full-coverage Automobile Insurance is $329 a month on average or about $3900 per year, the 2nd most expensive in the country.

Florida has the 5th highest Grocery Store prices in the country, averaging about $1200 a month.

FL's health insurance costs are five times the national average at 11K per year and have the highest average deductible (almost $7K)
I’m not a fan of this hit-piece article, but I’m with you here. Having relocated from a very high cost area in Connecticut, the cost of living in Florida smashes that in almost every way - housing, property taxes, insurance, groceries, etc. The only savings is in state income tax (and various annoying taxes we had in Connecticut like vehicle property tax).

Of course, it depends where in Florida you are. I’m in greater Miami/FTL/WPB, where the cost of living is closer to California metros these days. But even lower cost metros like Orlando and Tampa are outrageous in all above referenced categories. Anyone who says Florida is a moderate cost state is so wrong.

Old 04-03-2024, 11:22 AM

35,190 posts, read 31,510,336 times
On the politics thing...

If someone moved to Florida since the pandemic, you had to know what you were getting into politically. DeSantis has been in the national news since COVID. It was very obvious how the state leaned politically. If someone moved there and didn't like the politics, that's on them.

My ex-girlfriend and her family were originally from Bradenton, but had lived in northeast TN for years. Her mom was laid off during COVID. She's since passed away, and I don't have contact with them anymore, but they seemed to be doing much better in FL than TN when she was still alive.

No one is moving from FL then relocating to somewhere like TN because FL was too "in your face" with the politics, and expecting relief from that. TN is far more conservative than FL. I'm originally from a small town in TN, but lived in affluent, moderately red suburban areas in the Midwest for about five yars. It was a real shock to me coming back to TN, and it has gotten completely crazy over the last several years.

Old 04-03-2024, 11:34 AM

3,835 posts, read 3,376,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
You couldn’t be further from the truth. According to the latest market report for February 2024, Charlotte County had a median sale price which was up 4.30% from the previous month, with a total of 450 homes
sold, an increase 36.80% from the previous month and an increase of 54.10% from the prior year. The days on market for homes in Charlotte County stood at 66 days, which is a decrease of 6 days days over the previous month.

As for North Port, the explosion of homes for sale is a result of the massive development of Wellen Park, which technically have a North Port address.

I do see the market softening in SWFL, but to suggest “people can’t give them away” is not only false, the opposite is happening.
Median price is up but it's because of the higher end homes. The typical single family homes here are not moving for asking price. I monitor the listings because I might sell next year. I see 4 bed houses sitting for months on the market and owners slashing prices.

March and Feb are typically the busy months and I expect sales to be up versus last year due to Ian. There was not a huge inventory after Ian. Im my devlopment people were slashing 15k off the price.

Ben Grieco on youtube is local and gives good breakdown with stats.

The main issue is they're building too many homes now here. Existing single family homes can't compete with the builders. So you might have more people moving here, but too much inventory though than is what's needed.

I've been watching the single family homes closely. We have too much inventory around me now.

Old 04-03-2024, 11:45 AM

26,042 posts, read 13,051,959 times
Why do you not comprehend what cost-of-living is? Since you don't know, here's a definition of Cost-of-living:

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/c...d%20to%20wages.

Its not just the cost of housing, or insurance, groceries, or other items, as you imply below. You are focusing upon too narrow a bucket of costs.

Cost of living includes EVERYTHING, & is thus is a much better metric for comparisons.

There are many sources for cost-of-living data, & here's just 1 recent source using 2023 data:

https://meric.mo.gov/data/cost-living-data-series

You can see by the shaded colors that Florida is near the midpoint. On this map, the value of 100 is the midpoint, and FLA is at 100.7.

On EVERY recent list I've seen, Florida is ALWAYS near the midpoint of all states...in the 20's or 30's.

Geez, I cannot make this any easier. Maybe get a friend or relative to explain it to you, might help.

Or, maybe you are just trying to push a personal agenda...I' not a mind reader.

Quote:

Old 04-03-2024, 03:20 PM

268 posts, read 265,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Very interesting article featuring Republicans who are leaving due to COL in Florida, but also the "anger" and "in your face political culture" in Florida. These are Republicans who don't want politics to be the center of life; it does feel that way in Florida. There is also a mention of lack of/substandard health care, which has been discussed on this board.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/rcna142316
(bold formatting done by me)

Here in Central Florida there are areas with a majority of Democrat voters. But nevertheless, their politics has never been "in my face", neither is politics here "the center of life". Basically nobody here in my area ever mentions their politics to me. I find people very friendly and open.

Somebody mentioned "culture war": There are hundreds of thousands of Latinos in this area from different Latin American countries but I have never experienced a culture war, neither in Jacksonville where I lived before. On the contrary, the Latinos here are friendly and open and welcome you with open arms in their culture if you make just a little effort, e. g. by speaking Spanish to them (not necessary but always welcome).

The other day I was in the waiting room of a doctor's office and most of the other patients (all women) were Latinas. While we were all waiting, one started a conversation with another one in Spanish, and soon we were almost all involved in the conversation. All that was missing was a cup of coffee, LOL.

Has anyone here experienced substandard or lack of healthcare? We had great healthcare in Jacksonville and so far, we have had great healthcare here. Since we are government insured (my hubby is a veteran) I have no experience with deductibles and cannot comment on that.

Old 04-03-2024, 03:43 PM

24,796 posts, read 11,170,008 times
Quote:

These numbers are all over the board. Can you please post sources?

Old 04-03-2024, 07:51 PM

3,835 posts, read 3,376,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
These numbers are all over the board. Can you please post sources?
I believe the auto insurance part. I pay more for auto insurance than my flood insurance and homeowners insurance combined!

Old 04-03-2024, 08:10 PM

24,147 posts, read 32,631,549 times
Quote:
I think a drilldown into the type of Republican moving to FL versus the average Republican leaving is more the topic at hand. The inbound variety tends to be the MAGA-element of the party while the traditional centrist Republicans have felt as many registered Democrats have that it's no longer a suitable place to live based on a combination of factors including a polarizing governor and his antics along with a subservient state government and a sky-rocketing cost of living.
Could not rep you but you nailed it.

We really considered FL however, this "in your face" and "pick a fight" politics is more than I can handle. Instead, we bought a house on the outskirts of Cleveland.

I prefer snow to the cold shoulder and argumentative people. I can be friends with anyone as long as they are not racists. I regularly rep people who are Republican here on City Dogs.

There are still places where people can come together.

I will guess that many of the newer Floridians, are Trumpublicans from Suffolk County. They are from towns like Shirley, Selden, Mastc, Mastic Beach, Medford, Islip, Oakdale, East Islip, Farmingville, Centereach, Manorville, Lindenhurst, Holbrook, Holtsville, Sound Beach and Rocky Point.
In Nassau, Levittown is very right wing.

This hate filled type of politics has been brewing since the Clinton administration. This stated brewing with Rush Limbaugh and Fox News.

Old 04-03-2024, 08:32 PM

662 posts, read 427,321 times
Outside of South Florida (Palm Beach, Broward, non Cuban dominated areas of Miami-Dade), Leon, Gadsden, Alachua, and Duval, Florida is MAGA, “Let’s go Brandon”, “Don’t say gay”, book banning, “CRT is the devil” with ever rising COL hitting residents in all directions.

https://www.politico.com/2020-election/results/florida/

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Could not rep you but you nailed it.

We really considered FL however, this "in your face" and "pick a fight" politics is more than I can handle. Instead, we bought a house on the outskirts of Cleveland.

I prefer snow to the cold shoulder and argumentative people. I can be friends with anyone as long as they are not racists. I regularly rep people who are Republican here on City Dogs.

There are still places where people can come together.

I will guess that many of the newer Floridians, are Trumpublicans from Suffolk County. They are from towns like Shirley, Selden, Mastc, Mastic Beach, Medford, Islip, Oakdale, East Islip, Farmingville, Centereach, Manorville, Lindenhurst, Holbrook, Holtsville, Sound Beach and Rocky Point.
In Nassau, Levittown is very right wing.

This hate filled type of politics has been brewing since the Clinton administration. This stated brewing with Rush Limbaugh and Fox News.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida