Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2024, 10:30 AM

473 posts, read 550,637 times

Advertisements

If it gets to the point where the majority of the monthly cost of living is just to pay insurance, then it wouldn't make any sense to stay here. We're not quite there yet but it's getting there fast. Assuming my mortgage is paid off, the annual recurring cost for tax and insurance used to be 75/25 but it's fast approaching 50/50 and insurance will clip the annual cost of tax soon at this rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2024, 10:52 AM

9,209 posts, read 6,324,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane View Post
Like the rights of women to make decisions about their own bodies?

well, not just "women" [however that is defined] will be able to decide, but even men [let's go binary and say people who are not women], who actually do have a large stake in this issue, will be able to decide about a medical procedure that may or may not sentence them to 18 years of payments.

The people will vote on this issue in November.

Sounds right to me.

Old 04-05-2024, 07:08 PM

3,835 posts, read 3,376,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
My observation on that is that 1) Florida has a lot of inbound retirees. 2) Retirees (just an anecdotal observation) watch a lot more political media. 3) I'm sure a large percentage of these inbound retirees are moving from higher tax, democratic strongholds looking for less of that.

People that watch too much political media end up becoming obnoxious and loud publicly about politics.
Most of the retired aged people moving here seem to be from the northeast now, not the upper south or lower midwest that we're used to see in the past.

A lot of them are still moderate Republicans, the wealthy country club type as Rush Limbaugh used to coin. Like Sarasota for example the Republicans seem more moderate compared to a rural Republican. Vern Buchanan is a good example. Naples lots of New Englanders tend to be more moderate Republicans. It seems the affluent areas here in FL are attacting the moderate Republicans while the other less urbanized areas attracting the further to the right ones.

Wealthy Republicans tend to be more moderate on issues, while the middle class ones more to the right.

An urban FL Republican would be out of place in the middle of the rural Missouri Ozarks counties that over 80 percent Trump.

Old 04-06-2024, 08:54 AM

24,147 posts, read 32,631,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Maybe not "the Orlando area" but the Villages is actually famous for this stuff with signs, flags etc

https://www.thebulwark.com/the-flori...ough-of-trump/
The Villages are like a Reformed School - Day Care Center for the Elderly. I have seen footage of antics in that place and it's just not a place that I would ever want to live. I have seen You Tube Videos. That's enough. I have also read about the high number of cases of VD.

I do not consider The Villages to be representative of Florida.

You can see also F--- Joe Biden in the country. Just keep away from rural areas.

That's why I don't live there.

Old 04-06-2024, 09:00 AM

4,515 posts, read 3,894,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Neither do I see it in my part of Central Florida. Apparently, a few libs see a few rednecks waving/flying the FJB flag and then want to believe, or make others believe, that ALL of Florida is that way. No, it isn't.

Let’s not pretend this is not everywhere in Florida. Today I’m in Ft Myers and right next to me at red light is this.
Attached Thumbnails
Republicans fleeing Florida due to costs, political culture-img_5840.jpeg  

Old 04-06-2024, 09:15 AM

3,497 posts, read 2,491,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
The Villages are like a Reformed School - Day Care Center for the Elderly. I have seen footage of antics in that place and it's just not a place that I would ever want to live. I have seen You Tube Videos. That's enough. I have also read about the high number of cases of VD.

I do not consider The Villages to be representative of Florida.

You can see also F--- Joe Biden in the country. Just keep away from rural areas.

That's why I don't live there.
So the whole VD thing is an urban legend dating back to the late 1990's. A gynecologist did an interview and made some disparaging remarks. Turned out, she was -greatly- exaggerating, admitted it in a subsequent interview, and announced that she regretted that her exaggeration turned into a huge urban legend that the Villages can't seem to shake off.

Do seniors get STDs? Of course they do. Especially when widows and widowers who are already infected and unaware of it, while they're living in OTHER states, come to live in The Villages and have unprotected sex. It spreads in Seniors exactly the same way it spreads in everyone else. It seems like there are more here, because there are more Seniors here than anywhere else. In addition, seniors don't have to worry about getting pregnant, so there's a lower likelihood that they'd use condoms (which are already unpopular forms of birth control).

But no - there isn't any greater ratio of Seniors with STDs here, than anywhere else in the country.

The "antics" are equally unremarkable, compared to the rest of the country. What you're seeing on the videos are the antics. That's what makes for videos that people want to watch. You won't see videos of people like me, who go for walks, take care of my garden, stream Netflix on my computer, and sometimes go dancing when hubby takes us for dinner in the square once a month or so. That's boring, and doesn't make for viral-worthy video. Most people in our community play golf, or pickleball or tennis, some are in bocci leagues, we have woodworking shops, arts and crafts, a very active quilting bee group...

The fact that we are more physically active, physically fit, and ABLE to do all these things well into our 80's speaks more about a lack of antics, than the presence of antics.

Old 04-06-2024, 09:20 AM

3,497 posts, read 2,491,947 times
Quote:
Maybe not "the Orlando area" but the Villages is actually famous for this stuff with signs, flags etc

https://www.thebulwark.com/the-flori...ough-of-trump/
Most of the Villages don't have those signs and flags on their properties. Some do. Most don't. Most people living in the Villages are just older people with opinions. Some of them are rabid mouth-breathers. But most are not. As mentioned in my previous response to Sheena - what you see in the videos, or papers, etc - is what sells papers, advertising, and click-throughs. They report on the worst of the worst, because that's what people want to see, and what makes money for whoever is showing it to you.

If you saw a parking lot full of cars that do NOT have angry bumper stickers on them, you'd be bored, and probably wouldn't ever look at whatever showed you that picture again.

Old 04-06-2024, 09:45 AM

3,359 posts, read 1,242,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Joe Biden is flying in as many illegals as he can into Florida then will grant them amnesty to flip the state blue.

Also expect the abortion topic to be pushed hard by Biden in Florida.
Please show us evidence of Florida illegals being flown in granted citizenship by Biden.

Old 04-06-2024, 10:03 AM

504 posts, read 535,090 times
Quote:
Let’s not pretend this is not everywhere in Florida. Today I’m in Ft Myers and right next to me at red light is this.
I feel like anybody that puts lots of bumper stickers on their car/truck isn't playing with a full deck.

Old 04-06-2024, 10:36 AM

15,046 posts, read 12,250,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firmbizzle View Post
I feel like anybody that puts lots of bumper stickers on their car/truck isn't playing with a full deck.
Yeah, not to mention how much work it is to get up close enough in all that traffic to read and exercise one's own righteous indignation over each and every bumper sticker! Even more work when having to snap a picture of all those bumper stickers. Takes all that time and attention away from texting while one is driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida