Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2024, 08:59 AM

50,454 posts, read 64,294,398 times

Advertisements

All the republicans in Florida I know, are staying in droves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2024, 09:56 AM

17,577 posts, read 39,266,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
All the republicans in Florida I know, are staying in droves.
Same here

Old 04-11-2024, 12:46 PM

26,043 posts, read 13,051,959 times
Its not just snowbirds and retirees flocking to Florida...

...38% more Millennials are moving TO Florida than are moving OUT of Florida:

https://blog.hireahelper.com/2024-st...re-they-going/

Old 04-11-2024, 12:52 PM

26,043 posts, read 13,051,959 times
Just a few years ago, Florida was a Purple state that had more registered Democrats than Republicans, but that has swung hard Right to the point where registered Republicans now outnumber Democrats in Florida by 900,000 voters....and still growing:

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...ublican-state/

I'm unable to find any evidence of the OP's claim of Republicans fleeing Florida...none.

Old 04-12-2024, 09:09 AM

662 posts, read 427,321 times
I found that fascinating, but I do wonder where they will live and what their QOL will look like. Forever renters? 3 roommates past the age of 35?

As a "millennial" myself, I'd really like to see what the "quality" of millennial moving to Florida is such as education attainment, income, married/single etc.

Still interesting either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Its not just snowbirds and retirees flocking to Florida...

...38% more Millennials are moving TO Florida than are moving OUT of Florida:

https://blog.hireahelper.com/2024-st...re-they-going/

Old 04-12-2024, 05:37 PM

3,496 posts, read 2,491,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverct9a View Post
I found that fascinating, but I do wonder where they will live and what their QOL will look like. Forever renters? 3 roommates past the age of 35?

As a "millennial" myself, I'd really like to see what the "quality" of millennial moving to Florida is such as education attainment, income, married/single etc.

Still interesting either way.
The youngest millennials are 24, the oldest are 39. If the youngest are moving here, they might be recent college grads. Remember most of the country - including colleges and universities - was shut down starting around February of 2020. By the time they re-opened, it was already late summer, and nearing the first semester of the next school year. If that's the case, they might be doing what a lot of college grads do, if they don't already have their first career-based job secured: come to the Sunshine State, spend weekends at the beach, enjoying life, carefree, surfing and having fun. And then they find out no one will hire them because they're recent college grads with no proof of staying power. Not just no proof of staying power, but proof that they'll move to find that ideal that doesn't exist. They're a bad risk. Good luck getting a job any better than minimum wage with no benefits, or a receptionist job at Jimbob's Pawn and Tackle.

The older of the millennials are more likely to have a resume behind them, life-skills beyond knowing how to do the laundry and order take-out sushi. They might even have saved up enough for a down-payment on a house by this point in their lives. They have a shot at success in Florida.

The younger of them aren't likely to even have enough saved for a downpayment on a single-wide in a trailer park.

Old 04-12-2024, 07:05 PM

6,122 posts, read 3,833,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
The youngest millennials are 24, the oldest are 39. If the youngest are moving here, they might be recent college grads. Remember most of the country - including colleges and universities - was shut down starting around February of 2020. By the time they re-opened, it was already late summer, and nearing the first semester of the next school year. If that's the case, they might be doing what a lot of college grads do, if they don't already have their first career-based job secured: come to the Sunshine State, spend weekends at the beach, enjoying life, carefree, surfing and having fun. And then they find out no one will hire them because they're recent college grads with no proof of staying power. Not just no proof of staying power, but proof that they'll move to find that ideal that doesn't exist. They're a bad risk. Good luck getting a job any better than minimum wage with no benefits, or a receptionist job at Jimbob's Pawn and Tackle.

The older of the millennials are more likely to have a resume behind them, life-skills beyond knowing how to do the laundry and order take-out sushi. They might even have saved up enough for a down-payment on a house by this point in their lives. They have a shot at success in Florida.

The younger of them aren't likely to even have enough saved for a downpayment on a single-wide in a trailer park.
So, how are millennials in Florida any different from millennials in the rest of the country... other than the fact that the ones in Florida have a beach to lounge on? At least, when they're in Florida, they have something interesting and fun to do and somewhere to go.

Your dislike of Florida is showing... badly.

Old 04-12-2024, 08:23 PM

17,512 posts, read 15,634,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
So, how are millennials in Florida any different from millennials in the rest of the country... other than the fact that the ones in Florida have a beach to lounge on? At least, when they're in Florida, they have something interesting and fun to do and somewhere to go.

Your dislike of Florida is showing... badly.

I’ll bite…

Florida seems to attract A LOT of young, very stupid people. Not sure why it is, but it seems like the ones with the brains tend to leave the state post college, while the dumb ones stay here. Have you worked in a professional field in Florida with people in their 20s? There is a huge difference between them and those from some other states I am involved with.

Old 04-12-2024, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
I’ll bite…

Florida seems to attract A LOT of young, very stupid people. Not sure why it is, but it seems like the ones with the brains tend to leave the state post college, while the dumb ones stay here. Have you worked in a professional field in Florida with people in their 20s? There is a huge difference between them and those from some other states I am involved with.
Yup. And I readily admit I was one of them, back in the 1980's. Call me exhibit A. Graduated college with honors in liberal arts, which could be a good career move, back then before the WWW, cable news "shows," and cell phones made writing and investigative journalism a lost art. Figured I could get a newspaper job in Florida just as easily as up north. Rents were cheap, I was young, why not!

And then I found out they weren't hiring. Neither were any offices, even though I could type 60WPM with no errors, I knew my way around a filing cabinet, and had a decent wardrobe. Why not? Because I was a transplant from up north. We were considered "transients" and not trusted to stick around, so no one would give us a chance to prove them wrong. So I got a job as a waitress for a lunch shift at a restaurant that didn't get many customers during the lunch shift. Ran out of money, went back up north.

It's not much different now. If you just showed up, fresh from college, no resume, and expecting a "career" type of job in Florida, don't expect much. You won't be trusted. You have no street cred, even if you have the skills. The difference, is that now we DO have the internet and cell phones. So there's no excuse for people to just show up down here expecting a $50,000/year entry salary fresh out of college. And because there's no excuse for it now, the only REASON is - it's attracting a lot of young, very stupid people.

I was naive. But I didn't have the resources. If I had, I would've checked them before packing my car and driving down. That was the 1980's. Can't use that as an excuse, now. So it's got to be stupidity.

Old 04-19-2024, 10:55 AM

Looks like sales in South Florida are down 15% for the past month according to the Miami Herald.

And according to BusinessObserver Florida division, home construction is down 15% in Tampa-St. Pete for the second year in a row.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida