Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2015, 05:24 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,128,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by medellinheel View Post
Avoidance of sin and repentance accompanies Faith. Well maybe I should have said, being born again.

However, true Faith would generally lead someone to that.
[indent]Matthew 19

16 Just then a man came up to Jesus and asked, “Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?

17 “Why do you ask me about what is good?” Jesus replied. “There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, keep the commandments.”

18 “Which ones?” he inquired.

Jesus replied, “‘You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, 19 honor your father and mother,’ and ‘love your neighbor as yourself.’”

Straightforward question, straightforward answer. Not a word about faith. Jesus even downplays his involvement. Mark and Luke repeat this nearly word for word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 05:28 PM

675 posts, read 544,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alt Thinker View Post
[indent]Matthew 19

16 Just then a man came up to Jesus and asked, “Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?

17 “Why do you ask me about what is good?” Jesus replied. “There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, keep the commandments.”

18 “Which ones?” he inquired.

Jesus replied, “‘You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, 19 honor your father and mother,’ and ‘love your neighbor as yourself.’”

Straightforward question, straightforward answer. Not a word about faith. Jesus even downplays his involvement. Mark and Luke repeat this nearly word for word.
Rom. 3:28-30, "For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from works of the Law. 29Or is God the God of Jews only? Is He not the God of Gentiles also? Yes, of Gentiles also, 30since indeed God who will justify the circumcised by faith and the uncircumcised through faith is one."

Rom. 4:5, "But to the one who does not work, but believes in Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is reckoned as righteousness,"

Rom. 5:1, "therefore having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ;"

Rom. 9:30, "What shall we say then? That Gentiles, who did not pursue righteousness, attained righteousness, even the righteousness which is by faith;"

Rom. 10:4, "For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes."

Rom. 11:6, "But if it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works, otherwise grace is no longer grace."

Gal. 2:16, "nevertheless knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the Law but through faith in Christ Jesus, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, that we may be justified by faith in Christ, and not by the works of the Law; since by the works of the Law shall no flesh be justified."

Gal. 2:21, I do not nullify the grace of God; for if righteousness comes through the Law, then Christ died needlessly.

Gal. 3:5-6, "Does He then, who provides you with the Spirit and works miracles among you, do it by the works of the Law, or by hearing with faith? 6Even so Abraham believed God, and it was reckoned to him as righteousness."

Gal. 3:24, "Therefore the Law has become our tutor to lead us to Christ, that we may be justified by faith."

Eph. 2:8-9, "For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God. 9Not by works, lest any man should boast."

Phil. 3:9, "and may be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own derived from the Law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which comes from God on the basis of faith."

Old 01-27-2015, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Rom. 3:28-30, "For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from works of the Law. 29Or is God the God of Jews only? Is He not the God of Gentiles also? Yes, of Gentiles also, 30since indeed God who will justify the circumcised by faith and the uncircumcised through faith is one."

Rom. 4:5, "But to the one who does not work, but believes in Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is reckoned as righteousness,"

Rom. 5:1, "therefore having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ;"

Rom. 9:30, "What shall we say then? That Gentiles, who did not pursue righteousness, attained righteousness, even the righteousness which is by faith;"

Rom. 10:4, "For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes."

Rom. 11:6, "But if it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works, otherwise grace is no longer grace."

Gal. 2:16, "nevertheless knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the Law but through faith in Christ Jesus, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, that we may be justified by faith in Christ, and not by the works of the Law; since by the works of the Law shall no flesh be justified."

Gal. 2:21, I do not nullify the grace of God; for if righteousness comes through the Law, then Christ died needlessly.

Gal. 3:5-6, "Does He then, who provides you with the Spirit and works miracles among you, do it by the works of the Law, or by hearing with faith? 6Even so Abraham believed God, and it was reckoned to him as righteousness."

Gal. 3:24, "Therefore the Law has become our tutor to lead us to Christ, that we may be justified by faith."

Eph. 2:8-9, "For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God. 9Not by works, lest any man should boast."

Phil. 3:9, "and may be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own derived from the Law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which comes from God on the basis of faith."
Ever wonder why Paul keeps saying "works of the law"? He is referring to Jewish law and arguing that Gentiles are not subject to it.
Romans 2

6 God “will repay each person according to what they have done.” 7 To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor and immortality, he will give eternal life. 8 But for those who are self-seeking and who reject the truth and follow evil, there will be wrath and anger. 9 There will be trouble and distress for every human being who does evil: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile; 10 but glory, honor and peace for everyone who does good: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile. 11 For God does not show favoritism.

12 All who sin apart from the law will also perish apart from the law, and all who sin under the law will be judged by the law. 13 For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God’s sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous. 14 (Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law. 15 They show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts sometimes accusing them and at other times even defending them.) 16 This will take place on the day when God judges people’s secrets through Jesus Christ, as my gospel declares.
It is about what we do. Faith in Jesus is faith that the promise of a future resurrection and judgment will be fulfilled. But to be granted eternal life in that judgment one must persist in doing good, just like Paul says in Rom 2:7. (And Jesus said in Matt 19 and Mark and Luke also testify.) And it is available to those who are not aware of Jesus but live as they should according to what they know is right, as Paul says in Rom 2:15. Faith in that promise is a reason for practicing true righteousness as Jesus said. Paul tells us that the rituals of Jewish law guarantee nothing. The promise of Jesus extends to all, not just Jews.

Or are you saying that Paul contradicts Jesus?

Old 01-27-2015, 06:10 PM

18,511 posts, read 9,190,117 times
Quote:
You answered your own question. There is no way I could possibly be mad. You on the other hand could be quite mad (that's not even the right word) if you happen to be wrong.
Ah Pascal's Wager.

medellinheel,

What if you are worshipping the wrong god? Aren't you making the real one madder and madder?

Pascal's Wager is a textbook example of circular reasoning. "Oh noez, I'd better believe in a god because there might be a god!"

Similarly: "I'd better believe there's a serial killer out to get me just in case there's a serial killer out to get me."

Paranoia is not healthy.

Old 01-27-2015, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Ever wonder why Paul keeps saying "works of the law"? He is referring to Jewish law and arguing that Gentiles are not subject to it.
Romans 2

6 God “will repay each person according to what they have done.” 7 To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor and immortality, he will give eternal life. 8 But for those who are self-seeking and who reject the truth and follow evil, there will be wrath and anger. 9 There will be trouble and distress for every human being who does evil: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile; 10 but glory, honor and peace for everyone who does good: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile. 11 For God does not show favoritism.

12 All who sin apart from the law will also perish apart from the law, and all who sin under the law will be judged by the law. 13 For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God’s sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous. 14 (Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law. 15 They show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts sometimes accusing them and at other times even defending them.) 16 This will take place on the day when God judges people’s secrets through Jesus Christ, as my gospel declares.
It is about what we do. Faith in Jesus is faith that the promise of a future resurrection and judgment will be fulfilled. But to be granted eternal life in that judgment one must persist in doing good, just like Paul says in Rom 2:7. (And Jesus said in Matt 19 and Mark and Luke also testify.) And it is available to those who are not aware of Jesus but live as they should according to what they know is right, as Paul says in Rom 2:15. Faith in that promise is a reason for practicing true righteousness as Jesus said. Paul tells us that the rituals of Jewish law guarantee nothing. The promise of Jesus extends to all, not just Jews.

Or are you saying that Paul contradicts Jesus?
Ovcourse, Faith without works is dead.

They go hand in hand. However, Faith is the main thing. Or in other words, simply doing good is not enough. You must have Faith and be born again (works will be a product of that).

Old 01-27-2015, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Ah Pascal's Wager.

medellinheel,

What if you are worshipping the wrong god? Aren't you making the real one madder and madder?

Pascal's Wager is a textbook example of circular reasoning. "Oh noez, I'd better believe in a god because there might be a god!"

Similarly: "I'd better believe there's a serial killer out to get me just in case there's a serial killer out to get me."

Paranoia is not healthy.
Which God are you mentioning? Cant really give you an answer without knowing which God(s) you are referring to as possibly being real and the outcome of not believing in them.

Old 01-27-2015, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Ovcourse, Faith without works is dead.

They go hand in hand. However, Faith is the main thing. Or in other words, simply doing good is not enough. You must have Faith and be born again (works will be a product of that).
Not what Jesus said. Not what Paul said. Doing good is the essential factor. Even those who never heard of Jesus have the sense of right and wrong 'written in their hearts' and will be judged according to what they DO. Faith in the promise of a future judgment is a reason for doing good. But doing good is what counts.

Old 01-27-2015, 06:40 PM

18,511 posts, read 9,190,117 times
Quote:
Which God are you mentioning? Cant really give you an answer without knowing which God(s) you are referring to as possibly being real and the outcome of not believing in them.
These ones: Gods Christians don't believe in

Old 01-27-2015, 07:35 PM

1,553 posts, read 927,568 times
I wouldn't mess with Thor, Freak...

Old 01-27-2015, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Not what Jesus said. Not what Paul said. Doing good is the essential factor. Even those who never heard of Jesus have the sense of right and wrong 'written in their hearts' and will be judged according to what they DO. Faith in the promise of a future judgment is a reason for doing good. But doing good is what counts.
We are obviously talking about two different judgments. When I said we are judged on Faith alone I meant in relation to salvation ie The First Judgment.

First judgment is about whether or not you will be granted eternal life in heaven with God.

Second judgment is about what you have done. Rewards for good deeds and answering for wrong doings.

http://www.faithalone.org/magazine/y1989/89may1.html

The above explains it better than I can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality